There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Where are the holes on this team?

OL, CB, FS

Spencer and Goldson should help a bit so the passing D will get better.

Jim needs to mix up the play calling to help everybody on O
I would put the QB and WRs as more of a liability than the secondary. Edwards is a good WR but there is a drop off after him. Crabs hasn't done anything yet to merit much of anything. Crabs is like purgatory, not really bad or good.

Why don't we play Miller! He was a beast in the preseason. I like this kid. Moron Norris is less than impressive.
I'm not sure there are many "holes", but lack of impact players. The WR core is mediocre. Who is the difference-maker? The OLB's are Ok, but where is a player who alters what the offense will do, like the Niners adjusted to stop Ware.

My argument during free agency this year is that the Niners collected a bunch of mediocre players, but nobody that is an impact player, a difference maker. And, in the end, these players lift a team over the edge. We have Justin Smith and Patrick Willis and maybe Vernon Davis, but not much else.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm not sure there are many "holes", but lack of impact players. The WR core is mediocre. Who is the difference-maker? The OLB's are Ok, but where is a player who alters what the offense will do, like the Niners adjusted to stop Ware.

My argument during free agency this year is that the Niners collected a bunch of mediocre players, but nobody that is an impact player, a difference maker. And, in the end, these players lift a team over the edge. We have Justin Smith and Patrick Willis and maybe Vernon Davis, but not much else.

In my view, the playmakers can only perform if everybody else does his job competently. Take Gore for example. Sure it looks like he has lost a step, but had the OL been blocking better, Gore would have had respectable numbers. The OL this year has been a disaster. It at least did a fine job run blocking last season. How much money did the 49ers pour into that line? Perhaps the real reason why Jimmy Raye chose to run straight up the gut so many times was not his lack of imagination, but simply the only thing that the line could do the job competently!
Sadly it's the same ole same ole. Secondary still garbage. I told folks that Rodgers looked great game 1, and below average week 2. Hopefully we get the 09 Spencer back to sure up the corners. Brock and Brown aren't even good nickel corners. All the safeties on this team are liabilities in coverage. You just can't win in this league with the majority of teams going 4 wide. Niners have nothing but in the box safeties. No pass rush. And a pure Vanilla scheme isn't helping.

On offense it's the same story as well. We have a qb that is limited and that puts 0 fear in the hearts of any defense. Teams are game planning to stop our rb not our qb. O line just can't pass protect and they can't run block either. Gore goes one way Norris goes the other way. We keep our all world tight end in to block all the time. And the wr's have no speed whatsoever. We have a 1974 offense in 2011.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i didn't think out secondary was THAT bad, but apparently it is.

people overreact a bit but they were pretty good if you take away the blown coverage in ot and the slant for a td right before half time. if you take bothe those plays away then we would have given up 130-140 yds less passing.
Gotta remember that this is basically an evaluation year... 2 rookie QB's as backups = Let's get what we can out of this team this year and see what there is to work with. There is going to be allot of roster activity next offseason, the lockout killed any chance of evaluating and spending smart money on "playmakers" this season.

Weaknesses:

Depth in the secondary: Rogers is much better than Clements, and Spencer has his good and bad games, but after that there is a major drop in consistency. Brock is looking like an outstanding nickel CB, he still will make a mistake or two but that is why he is relegated to nickel duty. Culliver I think will start getting into the line up once he adjusts to the game (ie: learning opposing offenses and the route combinations WR's will use based on what coverage he is in). Brown is not starter caliber, and Williams & Smith are backups at best.

Fullback & 3rd TE: Norris needs to go, nuff said. Teams dont even try to cover him coming out of the backfield because they know even if he catches the check down everone on the defense can run him down before he gets 5 yards down the field. Miller looks promising but I imagine behind the scenes Gore is rallying for Norris to be his lead blocker as I can only remember Miller in at FB on a play or two while Hunter was in the backfield. This is where losing Byham has really hurt us. He can line up as the 3rd TE and split time as a FB as well as catch... those abilities alone open up a whole slew of options in a WCO. It may not have been noticable at first but losing Byham has effectively handicapped the deception of our running/play action plays. If Norris goes out on a wheel route... no one cares, Byham goes out on a wheel route and it will force a DE or LB to peel off on him opening up more space.

Youth: With the lockout its pretty obvious that the coaches are going with the more proven vets as they are more consistent and have seen more offenses before. But Hunter, Williams, Miller and Aldon need to get on the field more. With whatever is going on with Gore, VD getting double teamed, Ginn's doublecatching and Edwards & Crabs injured, the coaches need to put speed on the field in Hunter and Williams... along with miller because there is no way Norris is fast enough to get out infront of Hunter on sweeps. And Aldon... even if all he can do right now is rush the passer then why the F isnt he in there in the 4th quarter. He may not get the sack but he always gets good push, and gets his arms up to block the pass.

Basically the holes are similar to last year just not as big(Secondary, Passrush, FB), but the areas we were strong in last year we are way better this year (ILB, DL).

If they can get to 4-4 by week 8 and get Crabs, Edwards, Spencer, Goldson healthy and hopefully replace Norris... This team can easily go 6-2/5-3 to finish out the season and get a playoff birth, providing Alex can keep up his good game managing ways.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM ]
The Loss of David Bass has shown its self already. Goodwin might not even be as good as Wragge was when he played center. He can not hold is position during pass blocking there fore allowing the center of the pocket to collapse and his run blocking, well he doesn't. The Secondary and Receivers need to get healthy. Spencer,Goldson, Edwards and Crabtree getting healthy will help both of those units. I have long been saying get rid of Morris. If he were cut today I don't believe another team would pick him up the rest of the year. He cannot catch, misses more blocks than he makes and must not be able to carry the ball for one yard because we never use him for those plays. His position coach could do all of those things well I just have to wonder what they really see in him. I just see a big uncoordinated dude getting in the way.
Yes, the secondary etc.

But mainly, time. Time for Harbaugh to assess, to coach and to develop. The lock out hurt us badly.

Good job we are patient fans, though!
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
The Loss of David Bass has shown its self already. Goodwin might not even be as good as Wragge was when he played center. He can not hold is position during pass blocking there fore allowing the center of the pocket to collapse and his run blocking, well he doesn't. The Secondary and Receivers need to get healthy. Spencer,Goldson, Edwards and Crabtree getting healthy will help both of those units. I have long been saying get rid of Morris. If he were cut today I don't believe another team would pick him up the rest of the year. He cannot catch, misses more blocks than he makes and must not be able to carry the ball for one yard because we never use him for those plays. His position coach could do all of those things well I just have to wonder what they really see in him. I just see a big uncoordinated dude getting in the way.

Bass hasn't played all that well for the Giants just FYI... he can run block but has already allowed a few sacks and non-conversions... straight from a Giants Forum:

Hay Baas, stop writing under a pretend name. chiefmps : 9/12/2011 10:23 am
There is no way anyone can say that Baas had a good game! Let's not kid here, Cofield and the Washington defenses controled the point of attack in the middle of the line. One on one pass protection by Baas was fine but picking up the blitz and moving the DT off the line for the running game did not happen and Baas has to be one of the slowest centers there is. I don't thing the word quick is knowned by Baas, did not see him pull quick enought to make any blocks on the outside. Time to rethink Baas and put Kevin Boothe at the center spot. Boothe has the ability to pull and make the outside blocks and is able to push the DT's back to make these 3rd/4th down short runs. There was nothing that Baas did that show me that the Giants still need to look for a better center. I only hope that Boothe will do better but I have to reason to believe that Baas is the answer.

Baas did not own Cofield yesterday, barens : 9/12/2011 10:01 am
I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion. I never saw Cofield on his back.
Cofield made the stop on 3rd and 1.....he then penetrated on the 4th and one, and created a lane for the Washington backs to make the stop.....

No, not really. Paul in Brooklyn : 9/12/2011 9:54 am
Cofield and Baas had some good battles and each won out a few times. What I didn't like to see was that Baas was beaten incredibly bad a few times--you should never see your center get shoved aside like that.

So basically he is exactly who he has always been, he can get a push on One on Ones but is a liability in pass protection and at least on the NYG he has gone the wrong way on multiple occasions on run plays.

The grass is always greener...
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i miss spencer, clements and goldson.

You really miss Clements? Really? Really? <---asking you this question while holding a bottle of Head and Shoulders!
I would say the holes are in DB talent and OL performance. I use those words deliberately

The DB's are playing to the best of their ability and are just plain out classed. Rogers is a #2 being asked to play like a #1 and doing a solid job of it, but you can tell he is just not that guy. Whitner is the only #1 quality player at his position and is still getting comfortable. If we get healthy, Spencer and Goldson have the talent to be solid #2 quality players and with that I think we can get by...but this team is just screaming for a top flight #1 corner, ideally with some serious closing speed.

The O-line I think is the exact oposite they have an abundance of talent and routinely underperform. I think its a mixture of bad habits racked up from poor coaching in their formative years, Youth exhibited by a couple of the newest guys, a new center who needs time to adjust to the system's blocking calls and lastly plain old lapses of focus on certain plays. There is no magic bullet for these issues, just hard work and repetition to see it through, and replacing those who dont get with the program by years end.

After this year I think we will need more help at WR as well if Crabtree doesnt turn his career around and Edwards doesnt re-sign...but those are if's and when's.
The D not being able to finish, been like that for several years now...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home