LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Where are the holes on this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
OL, FS, CB, WR, and OLB are where we need work. The first three are obvious. WR and OLB aren't as much.

Edwards and Ginn are basically in contract years (and I can't recall but is Morgan, too?). Hopefully Crabtree breaks out this year and puts the foot injury behind him. Still, we should draft insurance for him in case the foot acts up again, AND to add another playmaker. We should re-sign Ginn if we can. Don't really care what we do with Morgan. [Rookie Star + Crabtree + Williams + Ginn + FA/Late Pick] looks like a mighty nice idea. Tons of speed or quickness there.

I say OLB because Brooks is OK, but if we had the ability to add a potentially elite OLB on his side, we should do so. You always want to upgrade. Elite teams have their "solid" players as back-ups to the elites. Brooks would be a great rotational guy, based on what we've seen so far. But we'll see what happens the rest of the year.
OL really bad...but what is killing us is the secondary giving up the big play...55 yrd TD against the Seahawks...33&53&53&73 yards to the Cowboys...
DBs
Oline
QBs
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Obviously not on the offensive line... otherwise, Gore would have running room.

I knew that was coming
I say it's still the pass rush. We can never get to the QB when needed.
I think the biggest holes are at WR right now. You give an offense enough shots at it, they'll find holes in your secondary no matter how well they play. The 49ers need to start putting up points, and what I've seen so far is WRs coming open very late.

Davis and Morgan don't get off the press well, and have a hard time running routes in traffic. This has been a real problem for the 49ers so far.

Also, Alex Smith is lights out with time to throw... but often he doesn't give himself time to throw. He checks down too quickly, impatiently moving on from a receiver about to break free. Partially due to the fact that his receivers do not often break free. I think the relationship between Smith and Edwards is going to define this season by the end.
Originally posted by adembroski:
I think the biggest holes are at WR right now. You give an offense enough shots at it, they'll find holes in your secondary no matter how well they play. The 49ers need to start putting up points, and what I've seen so far is WRs coming open very late.

Davis and Morgan don't get off the press well, and have a hard time running routes in traffic. This has been a real problem for the 49ers so far.

Also, Alex Smith is lights out with time to throw... but often he doesn't give himself time to throw. He checks down too quickly, impatiently moving on from a receiver about to break free. Partially due to the fact that his receivers do not often break free. I think the relationship between Smith and Edwards is going to define this season by the end.

So our WR's are good enough to run outs and curls but not good enough to run slants? Ginn is very capable of taking the top off any defense. Walker can run just about any route out there, Morgan can also.

SEA's Jackson had no problems with his 2nd or 3rd string receivers and Romo had no problems with his guy from the practice squad and #19 who was also undrafted a few years back.

There's one constant to WR's who played well elsewhere but turn average here.
I think there is just one glaring hole.
we should be using our back up RB's to give the D's new looks , Hunter should be used more !
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
The Loss of David Bass has shown its self already. Goodwin might not even be as good as Wragge was when he played center. He can not hold is position during pass blocking there fore allowing the center of the pocket to collapse and his run blocking, well he doesn't. The Secondary and Receivers need to get healthy. Spencer,Goldson, Edwards and Crabtree getting healthy will help both of those units. I have long been saying get rid of Morris. If he were cut today I don't believe another team would pick him up the rest of the year. He cannot catch, misses more blocks than he makes and must not be able to carry the ball for one yard because we never use him for those plays. His position coach could do all of those things well I just have to wonder what they really see in him. I just see a big uncoordinated dude getting in the way.

Bass hasn't played all that well for the Giants just FYI... he can run block but has already allowed a few sacks and non-conversions... straight from a Giants Forum:

Hay Baas, stop writing under a pretend name. chiefmps : 9/12/2011 10:23 am
There is no way anyone can say that Baas had a good game! Let's not kid here, Cofield and the Washington defenses controled the point of attack in the middle of the line. One on one pass protection by Baas was fine but picking up the blitz and moving the DT off the line for the running game did not happen and Baas has to be one of the slowest centers there is. I don't thing the word quick is knowned by Baas, did not see him pull quick enought to make any blocks on the outside. Time to rethink Baas and put Kevin Boothe at the center spot. Boothe has the ability to pull and make the outside blocks and is able to push the DT's back to make these 3rd/4th down short runs. There was nothing that Baas did that show me that the Giants still need to look for a better center. I only hope that Boothe will do better but I have to reason to believe that Baas is the answer.

Baas did not own Cofield yesterday, barens : 9/12/2011 10:01 am
I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion. I never saw Cofield on his back.
Cofield made the stop on 3rd and 1.....he then penetrated on the 4th and one, and created a lane for the Washington backs to make the stop.....

No, not really. Paul in Brooklyn : 9/12/2011 9:54 am
Cofield and Baas had some good battles and each won out a few times. What I didn't like to see was that Baas was beaten incredibly bad a few times--you should never see your center get shoved aside like that.

So basically he is exactly who he has always been, he can get a push on One on Ones but is a liability in pass protection and at least on the NYG he has gone the wrong way on multiple occasions on run plays.

The grass is always greener...
My point had nothing to do with what Baas is doing in NY with a new line and new system. My point was he is familiar with our line and did a decent job last year opening up holes in the running game. Goodwin is horrible I do not know how he started in NO, but I now know why they didn't go all crazy to resign him.

The holes are everywhere on this team. Why do you even have to ask...

Young owner
First time GM
First time NFL coach
First year offense
First year defense ( though easier and quicker to implement)

The only place I'm sure I don't have to worry about is the kicker, the punter and the long snapper.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
My point had nothing to do with what Baas is doing in NY with a new line and new system. My point was he is familiar with our line and did a decent job last year opening up holes in the running game. Goodwin is horrible I do not know how he started in NO, but I now know why they didn't go all crazy to resign him.

Understandable, my counterpoint is that Baas would be learning a new system here just like he is on the Giants and theres no guarentee he could repeat his performance from last year in Raye's offense as it was built to Baas's strength of bulldozing straight ahead. Any offense that features a ground game will allot of pulls and traps (basically any non-Raye offense), and he struggles. Just like Goodwin is struggling to pick up SF's system. The grass is always greener, if we resigned Baas to a ridiculous contract and he ran the wrong way during a running play, gave up a sack on 3rd & 1 and missed a crucial block on 4&1 to kill a drive like he has with the giants there would be even bigger WTF!'s than Goodwin getting beat by a well known NT.
  • Veteran
This my order:
1- OL
2- The Secondary
3- WR's (injuries)
4-QB
i like to call it...the black hole....
You should be asking, "where are there not any holes"?
Share 49ersWebzone