There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

why do we never throw the ball down the field?

Coaching
Coaching
Coaching
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
for 7 years straight.

Shaj the line being so bad is why we were able to use the #1 pick on him in the first place. We haven't had a decent line since Kevin Gogan played for us.

I think play calling and QB ability to get throws off quick plays a big part. Our OL is not pathetic. However, combine an OL with a QB no defense respects and you have more vulnerability to run blitzes by teams with CB's off the street because they are begging our QB to dare throw it.
isn't this kind of talk that got Mooch run out of town, ("yeah listen to TO let's bomb it on every play") which resulted in us ending up with Erickson ("I will bring a vertical attack to SF")???

yet people b*tch about needing the WCO..... and it's a style of offense that relies heavy on timing patterns in the short pass game?
Originally posted by sacniner:
It's really obvious they don't trust Smith. From the entire game last week, the last "drive" to end the half, the 15 yard penalty decision... Ultra conservative.

I think it is more a matter of not trusting the OL to pass block...

Let us not forget that Harbaugh and Co. have had all of 6 weeks to install and implement a pretty complex offensive system. My feeling is that the players simply haven't grasped it yet and that is why the coaches have kept it so simple the past two weeks. There simply hasn't been enough time to get these guys on the same page.

I'm guessing that as the season progresses, we will see the Niners gradually improve on offense.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by sacniner:
It's really obvious they don't trust Smith. From the entire game last week, the last "drive" to end the half, the 15 yard penalty decision... Ultra conservative.

I think it is more a matter of not trusting the OL to pass block...

Let us not forget that Harbaugh and Co. have had all of 6 weeks to install and implement a pretty complex offensive system. My feeling is that the players simply haven't grasped it yet and that is why the coaches have kept it so simple the past two weeks. There simply hasn't been enough time to get these guys on the same page.

I'm guessing that as the season progresses, we will see the Niners gradually improve on offense.

This.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
ARRR more shotgun, more spread ARRRR, if all else fails, check down to Gore in the middle the field YARRR

good start...
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He is much more accurate than Dilfer. Yesterday was on the defense and offensive line. Smith threw the pick, but the line play and defensive breakdowns are what cost the game. Before this year, if the run game was shut down, the team had no chance, this year Smith has been making plays when the line has given him time. The biggest issues on this team are oline play and defensive breakdowns. Qb play has not cost us anything.
You......are correct, sir.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think play calling and QB ability to get throws off quick plays a big part. Our OL is not pathetic. However, combine an OL with a QB no defense respects and you have more vulnerability to run blitzes by teams with CB's off the street because they are begging our QB to dare throw it.

We have very physically talented linemen, we just switched from straight up blocking to a zone scheme and they haven't adjusted to it yet.
Its NOT THE OLINE! Stop blaming them, how the hell does Aaron Rogders throw for 300 plus yards when he had one of the worst lines in the league!

Its the stupid coaches!! "The curse of the 1985 Bears"
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think play calling and QB ability to get throws off quick plays a big part. Our OL is not pathetic. However, combine an OL with a QB no defense respects and you have more vulnerability to run blitzes by teams with CB's off the street because they are begging our QB to dare throw it.

We have very physically talented linemen, we just switched from straight up blocking to a zone scheme and they haven't adjusted to it yet.

A lot of teams face this issue year in and year out. WE are the only team along with other teams that do not have good QB's who keep struggling with it. It is a combination of not allowing our QB to let it go and the ability of the QB.
Originally posted by ace130:
Its NOT THE OLINE! Stop blaming them, how the hell does Aaron Rogders throw for 300 plus yards when he had one of the worst lines in the league!

Its the stupid coaches!! "The curse of the 1985 Bears"

He doesn't have one of the worst lines in the league, they are all healthy this year and he gets all kinds of time to throw. Having played oline I can tell you that our guys are not getting the job done, they are struggling with zone blocking and failing to open holes for Gore and not holding up against the pass rushing. The coaches are still learning personnel and will be able to call better plays when they have had time to get the system down. For now you will have to be patient like Montana said or you can just rant about things you are not knowledgeable about, either is fine by me.
The coaching staff choosing to be a running team is the problem! This offense is no different than last year!

I think Im canceling my NFL sunday ticket
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He doesn't have one of the worst lines in the league, they are all healthy this year and he gets all kinds of time to throw. Having played oline I can tell you that our guys are not getting the job done, they are struggling with zone blocking and failing to open holes for Gore and not holding up against the pass rushing. The coaches are still learning personnel and will be able to call better plays when they have had time to get the system down. For now you will have to be patient like Montana said or you can just rant about things you are not knowledgeable about, either is fine by me.

What About the panthers? New coaching staff? New system? Rookie QB? How is there offense doing?

Dude, this offensive of philosophy is the same as last year? Harbaugh " Its not conserative, its attacking!"
Way too conservative. It may work against the Seattles of the NFL, but any decent team will ultimately take advantage of it. I predicted a 6-10 season, and think that's where we will end up
They dont trust Alex smith.
[ Edited by Mike8016 on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM ]