LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

why do we never throw the ball down the field?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I think he meant few years ago....

Rodgers Stats

Sacked, 50x (most in NFL)

QB Rating, 103.2 (4th in NFL)
Yard/Game, 277.1 (6th in NFL)
Touchdowns, 30 (4th in NFL)
Interceptions, 7 (Tied for 2nd least in NFL)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&qualified=true&season=2009&seasonType=REG

that year he held the ball waay to long even the packers fans got pretty mad at that and i put a stat a while back he was only 2nd to ben rothlesburfer in holding the ball too long

now however he has improved he doesnt hold the ball too long
  • dj43
Originally posted by ace130:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He doesn't have one of the worst lines in the league, they are all healthy this year and he gets all kinds of time to throw. Having played oline I can tell you that our guys are not getting the job done, they are struggling with zone blocking and failing to open holes for Gore and not holding up against the pass rushing. The coaches are still learning personnel and will be able to call better plays when they have had time to get the system down. For now you will have to be patient like Montana said or you can just rant about things you are not knowledgeable about, either is fine by me.

What About the panthers? New coaching staff? New system? Rookie QB? How is there offense doing?

Dude, this offensive of philosophy is the same as last year? Harbaugh " Its not conserative, its attacking!"

It helps to have a Pro Bowl receiver like Steve Smith along with a couple of talented young guys who are big and strong and go up and get the ball.

Steve Smith was the sole reason Jake Delhomme even had a pro career. JD was a well below average QB but no one could cover Smith. He was wide open much of the time.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I think he meant few years ago....

Rodgers Stats

Sacked, 50x (most in NFL)

QB Rating, 103.2 (4th in NFL)
Yard/Game, 277.1 (6th in NFL)
Touchdowns, 30 (4th in NFL)
Interceptions, 7 (Tied for 2nd least in NFL)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&qualified=true&season=2009&seasonType=REG

that year he held the ball waay to long even the packers fans got pretty mad at that and i put a stat a while back he was only 2nd to ben rothlesburfer in holding the ball too long

Right after Rodgers had his concussion last year, McCarthy got on him about holding the ball too long. AR was trying to make the perfect play and it wasn't happening. All of a sudden when Rodgers started getting the ball out on time, the OL started looking like Pro Bowlers. hhhmmmmmmmmm
Originally posted by dj43:
It helps to have a Pro Bowl receiver like Steve Smith along with a couple of talented young guys who are big and strong and go up and get the ball.

Steve Smith was the sole reason Jake Delhomme even had a pro career. JD was a well below average QB but no one could cover Smith. He was wide open much of the time.

This team FINALLY has a pro bowl caliber wide out and thats 7 years after we draft a rookie QB. Newton (taking nothing away from him, you don't throw for 800+ yards in two games and not be good) has the luxury of an outstanding wideout. Smith has really been his own worst enemy (aside from the oline) in most cases.
  • dj43
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by dj43:

This team FINALLY has a pro bowl caliber wide out and thats 7 years after we draft a rookie QB. Newton (taking nothing away from him, you don't throw for 800+ yards in two games and not be good) has the luxury of an outstanding wideout. Smith has really been his own worst enemy (aside from the oline) in most cases.

That alone says a lot about the FO.

Newton made some nice throws yesterday. He also made some very mediocre ones that his guys went up and got - Brandon LeFell was awesome. Newton also had some BAD throws that got picked and cost them the game.
Originally posted by sacniner:
It's really obvious they don't trust Smith. From the entire game last week, the last "drive" to end the half, the 15 yard penalty decision... Ultra conservative.

Agree. If we are gonna play like this, just put in the rookie and move on
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by sacniner:
It's really obvious they don't trust Smith. From the entire game last week, the last "drive" to end the half, the 15 yard penalty decision... Ultra conservative.

Agree. If we are gonna play like this, just put in the rookie and move on

why does everyone think harbaugh doesn't "trust" alex? If i were Harbaugh, i wouldn't trust this Oline. They aren't pass protecting, they aren't run blocking. I wouldn't trust them to maintain blocks long enough to go deep. Even play fakes don't work because the running game never gets going. Putting kaepernick would be a detriment to his career at this point. Anyone remember what happened to Smith when he was thrown in too early? No, of course not.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by forty9ers:
is it Alex Smiths vision?
The Coaches trust in smith?
The coaches trying not to turn the ball over?
Wide receivers unable to get open?

Easy. Our pass blocking and in this particular game, Braylon Edwards and Crabtree being out. Not enough guys who can get open or catch the ball over DB's, stretch the field consistently. Our one known guy, Vernon, was covered like flies on sh*t. And Ted Ginn had a pretty decent game, but it wasn't enough

Jmorgan was open a bunch of times deep, Alex didn't even look up. Not sure if the T.V. showed it but being at the game it was clear that Alex was on a short chain from the coaches. We gotta grow some balls on O soon!!
[ Edited by foundone on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM ]
Its a two way street. A bad oline can make a QB look bad, but an ineffective QB can make his supporting cast look bad as well. People are quick to point out the deficiencies in our oline, receiving core, running game, defense, yet no one is willing to acknowledge the constant throughout this entire mess: our quarterback.

Alex had a decent game yesterday, and for the most part kept us in it because Gore was nonexistent. With that said, it's not hard to see that Alex is not the type of quarterback that can shoulder the entire team. He had two opportunities to close the game yesterday. Late in the 4th, and then in overtime. Sure, the oline broke down, his receivers were 4th stringers, his running game didnt help, and the coaching was flawed. But good QBs overcome these obstacles, and Alex has shown throughout his career that he is only a "playbook" quarterback. Keep him in a comfort zone within the confines of his playbook, and he'll move the chains. Ask him to think outside the box, and he just cant cut it.

The extra pressure put on him by Rob Ryan's defense wasnt just Dallas's d-line overpowering our oline. Ryan through the kitchen sink at him, and there were plenty of opportunities for Alex to audible a quick read or air it out deep. And no, these types of plays do not require a 5-7 step drop. Im sure the coaching staff has audibles for quick screens and slants to single covered receivers, and Alex failed to take advantage of his opportunities. He completes a few deep passes, and now the defense has to adjust and respect his arm.

Again, we have some major flaws in ALL of our offensive scheme, and oline play is a big one. But if Alex only makes matters worse by playing conservatively himself and allowing defenses to take chances with constant blitzes.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foundone:
Jmorgan was open a bunch of times deep, Alex didn't even look up. Not sure if the T.V. showed it but being at the game it was clear that Alex was on a short chain from the coaches. We gotta grow some balls on O soon!!

How dare you sir Alex's state of mind is more important than winning.What if he underthrew it and got boo'd!? Did you even consider that mister selfish!?

What year?
teams know that we arent going to throw it deep cause we never try... they need "attempt" to throw the ball down the field, just to keep the safeties honest so it opens up more plays midrange to vernon.. if we never throw deep, the safeties will never play deep.. and other teams know this.. if they would just occasionally throw the ball down the field it could open up more slants, deep outs, and vernon or walker up the seam
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

What year?
There's really a stat of holding the ball too long? Wow
Originally posted by communist:

What year?
you know, reading all these posts year in and year out...we are some bad ass arm chair coaches, i mean really..if you look at it, every year we have to discuss why our team sucks and what they should do to make them better. a lot of people know what they are talking about because they have had plenty of time to analyze our shi@$y team, lol

ps. yes i know i have under 100 posts, but i do read a lot lol
Share 49ersWebzone