There are 146 users in the forums

why do we never throw the ball down the field?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by b9er37:
Vernon Davis, DW, Gore, Ginn....

Gore is old and done

Davis was mostly held in for pass protection

Ginn is a backup Wr at best

Delanie is solid but was running short routes all day...really losing our 2 best wr's hurt
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dmax:
the offensive line cant pass protect worth a damn...thats why

Joe staley was get abused all day long...

That's because the defense knows our qb can't beat them so they can play man coverage and bring blitzers on every play.
We have been cursed with poor qb play for the past 7+ years.

Hey, wake up. This thread is about today, this year. Not last year or 5 years ago. Smith beat the defense twice for TDs yesterday on very well thrown balls.

Part of it was that Dallas knew that with only back up WRs on the field, there was no reason to panic. Romo had Witten, the best pass receiving TE in football and Miles Austin, a top 10 receiver. Smith had guys that wouldn't make the roster on most other teams. Who you gonna throw to?

Davis was held in to block. Also, he STILL cannot seem to understand how to read defenses and help on pressure situations. Jason Witten put on a clinic for TEs yesterday. I hope Vernon was so awed by it that he takes the film home and looks at it until it is indelibly etched in his brain. Until/unless he does, he will never be considered an elite TE on the level of Gates, Gonzalez and Witten.

Walker is a starter on some teams, backup on good ones.

Gore is nice but no threat in the passing game.

Ginn. Ginn? Did you say Ginn? In a passing game? There is a reason Miami let him go for a back of chips. The only time he should be on the field is ST.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Gore is old and done

Delanie is solid but was running short routes all day...really losing our 2 best wr's hurt

Gore is fine, just not used to running in a zone blocking scheme yet, not that there have been many holes for him to hit.
Originally posted by Baldie:
The reason Davis needs to block is because the OL can't do block worth sh*t. They can't even open holes for Frank. Frank is on pace to have a subpar year. I do however will say that not having Braylon and Crabs to throw to didn't help at all with the pressure.

I've noticed though....when Alex is in the shotgun....to me he has that nervous stance. Like he's hesitant. Like he's thinking to hard about what he's going to do next. If you have that look....the defense is going to read it. Look at him next time....sometimes you see him like trying to make himself comfortable before he takes the snap, like no confidence of whats going to happen in the next play. You can totally see the difference between lets say Alex Smith and Tom Brady. Brady looks relaxed in shotgun, confident.
Oh yes Smith really dislikes the shotgun, he's a pure pocket passer.A product of th Urban Meyer pocket passing school
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Cuz our QB is Mr. Noodle Arm 2.0
Smith has a solid arm strength...
Simple...max protect with TE and RB blocking and send out only 2 wide outs...can't really spread it out and let it air out doing this...all starts with the o-line...
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

Gore is old and done

Curious on your thoughts re: pass offense, play calling, etc.
While it's true our O-Line sucks, I have to admit that Alex Smith's history does not seem to have a lot of success with deep one on one completions. I don't know if he trusts his receivers or not (and I know Braylon and Crabtree were not playing and Vernon was asked to block), but I thought it was telling last year when Troy Smith was noted by players for at least chucking the ball and giving receivers a chance at a play. I think Alex did a good job with that on the Williams TD, but I can't say it's in his style of play.
  • boqi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cypherninja:
While it's true our O-Line sucks, I have to admit that Alex Smith's history does not seem to have a lot of success with deep one on one completions. I don't know if he trusts his receivers or not (and I know Braylon and Crabtree were not playing and Vernon was asked to block), but I thought it was telling last year when Troy Smith was noted by players for at least chucking the ball and giving receivers a chance at a play. I think Alex did a good job with that on the Williams TD, but I can't say it's in his style of play.

IOW, Alex Smith sucks and we'll never see highlights from him. Tell me something I dont know.
49ers definitely need to take more shots down field. Stretch the defense out. As of right now the opposing defense has to know the ball will almost never be thrown more then a handful of times over 15 yards if that. And that only makes it harder to "Singletary" the ball up the field.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by captveg:
E) No time for pass blocking on 7-step drops

for 7 years straight.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by captveg:
E) No time for pass blocking on 7-step drops

for 7 years straight.

Well actually 3 since this was Alex's 52nd start.
for 7 years straight.

Shaj the line being so bad is why we were able to use the #1 pick on him in the first place. We haven't had a decent line since Kevin Gogan played for us.
Coaching
Coaching
Coaching
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
for 7 years straight.

Shaj the line being so bad is why we were able to use the #1 pick on him in the first place. We haven't had a decent line since Kevin Gogan played for us.

I think play calling and QB ability to get throws off quick plays a big part. Our OL is not pathetic. However, combine an OL with a QB no defense respects and you have more vulnerability to run blitzes by teams with CB's off the street because they are begging our QB to dare throw it.
Share 49ersWebzone