There are 167 users in the forums

Was Ted Ginn's punt return for a TD a good thing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by andes14:
crabman82 & adacosta24- do you guys think Westbrook and Jones-Drew made the incorrect play here?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271216006
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291115020

Especially that MoJo Drew one- if he scored, he puts his team up by 5 or 7 (depending on whether or not they make the 2 point conversion) but the Jets would have had nearly 2 minutes to go down the field and score a TD that either ties or wins the game. This way, he ensured a win by enabling them to kick a last second chip shot field goal. Again, not applicable to our game, but just an example to show a TD is not always the right play.

Thoughts?

heres my thoughts, if theres more than 2 min left and the other team still has a couple timeouts i always score the td

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Originally posted by DK57:
Is allowing people to post stupid things a good thing?

Please elaborate as to how a 16 point lead with 3 mins left and 2 SEA timeouts is CLEARLY and UNQUESTIONABLY better than a 12 point lead with 2 mins left and 0 SEA timeouts and why it's "stupid" to think the latter COULD be more advantageous than the former...
Originally posted by adacosta24:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Ok, to you as well:

Please elaborate as to how a 16 point lead with 3 mins left and 2 SEA timeouts is CLEARLY and UNQUESTIONABLY better than a 12 point lead with 2 mins left and 0 SEA timeouts and why it's "stupid" to think the latter COULD be more advantageous than the former...

Also, you didn't respond to my point about Jones-Drew. The Jags coulda fumbled at the 1, so should he have scored and given the Jets nearly 2 mins to score a game tying or game winning TD???
[ Edited by andes14 on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by adacosta24:

Ok, to you as well:

Also, you didn't respond to my point about Jones-Drew. The Jags coulda fumbled at the 1, so should he have scored and given the Jets nearly 2 mins to score a game tying or game winning TD???

Your argument makes no sense, the fact is he did score and we did win by a commanding score. Why would he have stopped at the 1 yard line where something could have happened instead of putting the game even further out of reach. Your argument is a big what if and also a big waste of anyones time, games over, we won. Ginns is a beast, give credit where credit is due... oh and the Cowgirls suck.

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
We won the goddamn game, get over it.

That doesn't mean you can't question a decision, does it? People are criticizing the conservative game plan, but we won the game. People are criticizing the lack of an efficient run game, but we won the game. People are criticizing the lack of downfield shots in the passing game (only 124 yards), but we won the game. Why should this be any different? Just because you win doesn't mean you can't question certain decisions.

Here is how it is different. The first questions are about why some things weren't working very well.

You are questioning a decision where the outcome of that decision was the best result you can hope for. That just sounds like someone with too much time on his/her hands trying to generate an argument IMHO.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Um yah TDs are always good

No they're not. Remember this?

Also, think about it- say you're up 1 point with a minute or so left. Why would you want to score a TD? You give the other team the ball and it's still a 1 score game.

How you can't see the logic that being up 12 (2 touchdowns) with 2 mins left with the other team having no timeouts could possibly be better than being up 16 (2 touchdowns) with 3 mins left and the other team having 3 timeouts left is beyond me...

i understand not being good all the time. but on a return, you never stop at the 1 or whereever.

Lose your spot on STs and even Team.

Originally posted by susweel:
Um yah TDs are always good

No they're not. Remember this?

Also, think about it- say you're up 1 point with a minute or so left. Why would you want to score a TD? You give the other team the ball and it's still a 1 score game.

How you can't see the logic that being up 12 (2 touchdowns) with 2 mins left with the other team having no timeouts could possibly be better than being up 16 (2 touchdowns) with 3 mins left and the other team having 3 timeouts left is beyond me...

In the first case, Seattle wins w/ 2 TDs, In the 2nd case, Seattle at best tie the game. And general rule of thumb, is it's harder score points so make your opponents score more.
next thing is if he Fair Catches it, and we are at midfield, we very could lose the ball on 3 and out, or Turnover.

Rather have us run out and score the TD.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
next thing is if he Fair Catches it, and we are at midfield, we very could lose the ball on 3 and out, or Turnover.

Rather have us run out and score the TD.

I agree on the fair catch, but I still think the best thing would have been to take a knee at the 1.
Originally posted by father49er:
In the first case, Seattle wins w/ 2 TDs, In the 2nd case, Seattle at best tie the game. And general rule of thumb, is it's harder score points so make your opponents score more.

Of course that's the con of it, but the pro is that they still would need to score 2 TD's, but have one fewer minute and two fewer timeouts to do so. There's obviously logic to both sides, that's why it's debatabe. People that think it's retarded to think it's debatable are clearly foolish.
16 points can be a 2 possession game. but playing the percentages, you can't count on your team making two 2 point conversions. So, when the coaches look at it, they consider 16 points a 3 possession game unless they actually make the 1st 2 point conversion. assuming you score 1 TD, going for 1 or 2 is a real debate in itself.

what's the percentage of Seattle and Tavaris Jackson scoring two TD's and converting two 2 point conversions?
Yes, believe it or not, sometimes not scoring a TD is better than scoring a TD. These are examples:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291115020

Especially that MoJo Drew one- if he scored, he puts his team up by 5 or 7 (depending on whether or not they make the 2 point conversion) but the Jets have nearly 2 minutes to go down the field and score a TD that either ties or wins the game. This way, he ensured a win by enabling them to kick a last second chip shot field goal. Again, not applicable to our game, but just an example to show a TD is not always the right play.

Your examples really don't matter. Your question was whether or not Ginn scoring the punt return TD was a good thing, not whether scoring a TD is always a good thing. The answer to your question is obviously YES, Ginn's score was a good thing. Need proof? We won. There's your proof.

I see the point you're trying to make, but being up 16 points (making T. Jackson lead 2 TD drives AND score 2 extra points) was perfect considering the opponents. If it was Brady and the Patriots, maybe not. Bottom line is it worked out. If I win the lottery with random generated numbers, would it be better if I had won with my own hand-picked numbers?
Share 49ersWebzone