There are 265 users in the forums

Was Ted Ginn's punt return for a TD a good thing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by krizay:

I've been thinking this for sometime. Some of these people are either uncapable or unwilling to look at more than 1 side to a situation.

Exactly...everyone just thinks because a TD is more points than a field goal, it MUST be better without even taking into account the situation.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
His point is not as retarded as everyone is making it seem. Counterintuitive yes, but absolutely debatable once you think about it. "Pointless", "over-thinking", "over-analyzing"? Um...some people like to think outside the box. Sorry if your brain can't handle it.

Oh no... my tiny brain can't handle the genius concept of fair-catching or kneeling at the 1 yard line!

POINTLESS THREAD IS STILL POINTLESS
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by andes14:
I almost think it's debatable. If he just did a fair catch (or, if he returned it, just took a knee at the 1 yard line), we would have been up 2 possessions AND have the ball AND have only 3 minutes left in the game. Kneel it 3 times (drain clock/make them use their remaining timeouts), then kick a field goal to make it a 2 touchdown game with them only having a minute or so left. Seems like that would have been the best chance of winning rather than them having to score 2 touchdowns but having 3 minutes and however many timeouts left they had to do so. Either way, the odds were overwhelming in our favor, but I feel that they would have been even more overwhelming had he not scored.

Singletary, if you are going to post here, then just use your real name.

For Christ's sake! oops, sorry about that.

ya really, shouldnt he be preparing the viking lb's?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
if you want to look it at that way, why not let Ginn score the TD and then force a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. WE COULDAAA GOTZ THE BALL BACK YO!

see what i did there?
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Oh no... my tiny brain can't handle the genius concept of fair-catching or kneeling at the 1 yard line!

All threads are technically pointless. It's not like Harbaugh/Baalke are gonna read our ideas and implement them. But it's a forum. That's what you do. You bounce ideas off each other. And I just cited a multitude of examples where it's better to not score a TD and guys went down at the 1 on purpose.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
His point is not as retarded as everyone is making it seem. Counterintuitive yes, but absolutely debatable once you think about it. "Pointless", "over-thinking", "over-analyzing"? Um...some people like to think outside the box. Sorry if your brain can't handle it.

I've been thinking this for sometime. Some of these people are either uncapable or unwilling to look at more than 1 side to a situation.

when the debate is what good scenario is better it's kinda............. . especially when the title of the thread "may" suggest that scoring a TD was a bad thing.

i'm just responding because i'm bored.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yes. As you pointed out, we were up by two possessions already, which can be overcome in 3 minutes. A quick Defensive stop, a quick TD or FG, and an onside kick and another score. Its tough but i've seen it happen.

With the punt return TD, we went up by 3 possessions which is insurmountable at that point in the game.

16 points=2 possessions, not 3
But they have to score two 2 point conversions and if they miss one they would now need the extra FG. Im sorry but there is no way that Ginn should have taken a knee

True. Its 2 TDs and two two point conversions and then one more possession to win the game.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
True. Its 2 TDs and two two point conversions and then one more possession to win the game.

No then it just woulda gone to OT.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

All threads are technically pointless. It's not like Harbaugh/Baalke are gonna read our ideas and implement them. But it's a forum. That's what you do. You bounce ideas off each other. And I just cited a multitude of examples where it's better to not score a TD and guys went down at the 1 on purpose.

You're right.
You could re-think every play made in every game the Niners have played and decide what decision would be better for each scenario... you should probably get to work on that. Let us know what you come up with!

We won.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
when the debate is what good scenario is better it's kinda............. . especially when the title of the thread "may" suggest that scoring a TD was a bad thing.

i'm just responding because i'm bored.

Yes, believe it or not, sometimes not scoring a TD is better than scoring a TD. These are examples:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271216006
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291115020

Especially that MoJo Drew one- if he scored, he puts his team up by 5 or 7 (depending on whether or not they make the 2 point conversion) but the Jets have nearly 2 minutes to go down the field and score a TD that either ties or wins the game. This way, he ensured a win by enabling them to kick a last second chip shot field goal. Again, not applicable to our game, but just an example to show a TD is not always the right play.
[ Edited by andes14 on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we should have run the hook & ladder for TD in the 81 NFC championship game. would have made a waaaay better highlight than The Catch.
It is always a good thing to score because it not only separates you from a point perspective, but it also deflates the other teams hopes. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for FILTHpigskin.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
It is always a good thing to score because it not only separates you from a point perspective, but it also deflates the other teams hopes. YOU KNEEL AT THE 1 TO WIN THE GAME

*Fixed
Share 49ersWebzone