LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 210 users in the forums

Was Ted Ginn's punt return for a TD a good thing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I almost think it's debatable. If he just did a fair catch (or, if he returned it, just took a knee at the 1 yard line), we would have been up 2 possessions AND have the ball AND have only 3 minutes left in the game. Kneel it 3 times (drain clock/make them use their remaining timeouts), then kick a field goal to make it a 2 touchdown game with them only having a minute or so left. Seems like that would have been the best chance of winning rather than them having to score 2 touchdowns but having 3 minutes and however many timeouts left they had to do so. Either way, the odds were overwhelming in our favor, but I feel that they would have been even more overwhelming had he not scored.
Say what!??????
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Um yah TDs are always good
Yes. As you pointed out, we were up by two possessions already, which can be overcome in 3 minutes. A quick Defensive stop, a quick TD or FG, and an onside kick and another score. Its tough but i've seen it happen.

With the punt return TD, we went up by 3 possessions which is insurmountable at that point in the game.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yes. As you pointed out, we were up by two possessions already, which can be overcome in 3 minutes.

With the punt return TD, we went up by 3 possessions which is insurmountable at that point in the game.

I think he means Ginn's 1st TD, the kick return. We were up by 2 points and he is saying Ginn should have stopped at the 1 yard line just before scoring so we can take more time off the clock.

He's assuming our offense would have scored after taking two knees. I don't think he watched the game and how we were in the red zone.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes. As you pointed out, we were up by two possessions already, which can be overcome in 3 minutes.

I think he means Ginn's 1st TD, the kick return. We were up by 2 points and he is saying Ginn should have stopped at the 1 yard line just before scoring so we can take more time off the clock.

He's assuming our offense would have scored after taking two knees. I don't think he watched the game and how we were in the red zone.
If he was talking about that why would he mention fair catching it? Yes I know you can fair catch kickoffs but how often does that happen
lol, it put the game away.
The scary thing is that there have been five days to think this through . . .

Yes. As you pointed out, we were up by two possessions already, which can be overcome in 3 minutes. A quick Defensive stop, a quick TD or FG, and an onside kick and another score. Its tough but i've seen it happen.

16 points=2 possessions, not 3
  • Chico
  • Veteran

um yeah...scoring touchdowns is a very bad thing!!!
Originally posted by valrod33:
If he was talking about that why would he mention fair catching it? Yes I know you can fair catch kickoffs but how often does that happen

Indeed- I'm talking about the punt return...no doubt the kick return was HUGE.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Ginn that selfish b*****d how dare he score TDs.

Scoring TDs is not what this team is about..............
Originally posted by susweel:
Um yah TDs are always good

No they're not. Remember this?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271216006

Also, think about it- say you're up 1 point with a minute or so left. Why would you want to score a TD? You give the other team the ball and it's still a 1 score game.

How you can't see the logic that being up 12 (2 touchdowns) with 2 mins left with the other team having no timeouts could possibly be better than being up 16 (2 touchdowns) with 3 mins left and the other team having 3 timeouts left is beyond me...
[ Edited by andes14 on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone