LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Personally, I will rate this game by Alex as a C- or a D+. It was enough to win the game, but let's face it - the defense and special teams are the reason why we won.

Positives
No Turnovers
Effective runner (including 1 TD scored)
High Completion Percentage (although how many of his completions got 0 yards or less?)
No sacks (OL gets a lot of credit for that too, of course)

Negatives
No TD passes
Did not convert on 3rd down often, resulting in a lot of punts
Checked down too often - was there truly no one open on those plays?
Often threw the ball a little high - if the player didn't have to jump, they probably would gave gotten at least another positive yard or 2

It was enough to win, but he needs to get better. I still hope that is possible.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
seriously? This is his FIRST game in the NFL, where he threw for more TD's than Alex did his whole first year, and you are saying he couldn't win the game when it counted? You understand that was a NFL history record breaking game for an NFL rookie, right? Even Manning, Marino, Montana, etc didn't do what he did today. Give it a rest, bro.

Trollexcuses

Cam Newton will be figured out in short order. He played against a crappy secondary and frankly not a very good team, and he has a super-weapon in Steve Smith. Once defenses take that away, he's toast and he'll revert to running.

One game and everyone's making him out to be the next Joe Montana. He'll fade as teams adjust.

Pointing out other quarterbacks that play way better than Alex = Trollexcuses? This is so sad. This is the exact complacency that has us in this 7 year mess.

What is your point? He isn't the best QB and Cam had a great game. Our gameplan was to play a conservative, defensive game. It is what it is. Alex will never be elite. Although, I think we can win our division with him at QB if he plays smart. Your comparisons really are pointless.
Originally posted by jreff22:
they were in the playoffs last year

Only Because someone in this s**tty division had too.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
This thread needs to be locked like all the other Alex threads, like him or not. I watched the whole game today and the only thing I can say is he (Alex) didn't turn the ball over. Other than that he stared the WR's down almost every play. Same old piss poor over and under throws. If this the QB performance you want to brag about you have VERY, VERY low QB expectations my friend. I'm going to tell you just like the guy who came up with the old QB rating system said on SIRIUS radio, "My rating system is "NOT" intended for single game performances. It is intended as a tool to rate the "WHOLE SEASON". His words not mine.

Qft
Originally posted by jreff22:
they were in the playoffs last year

Yeah and only two starters are left from last years team. Most of the defense is new guys. And remind me of where their Super Bowl trophy is being stored?
Comparing Alex Smith's solid performance to the greatest rookie performance ever. Hardly anyone here expects Alex to be anything past good. Trolls.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Comparing Alex Smith's solid performance to the greatest rookie performance ever. Hardly anyone here expects Alex to be anything past good. Trolls.

they're not trolls, just delusional.
Okay, so Alex Smith's 90.4 is graded on the retard QB scale.

A high grade on low standards.

Alex haters and Alex lovers. Do we all agree?

Yes?

Lock thread.

Not even sure why he being compared to Newton? Did the Niners have a chance to get Newton?

You can go and check every post I have made here and never see any sign that I troll. But like hell am I going to polish a giant turd and swear up and down to you that it's a 24k bar of gold.

Pointing out other quarterbacks that play way better than Alex = Trollexcuses? This is so sad. This is the exact complacency that has us in this 7 year mess.

^^
intentional or not, that was some nice ball placement on that long pass to VD. Also a good running TD. Still not impressed. Throw some TD's son.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Would you have made that throw to Morgan?

Uh, those check down passes are known as the West Coast Offense. Or, as it was called by Walsh's detractors, "dink and dunk".
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd take that and no turnovers every single week. We could win 9 games with that. These guys are being rediculous. You want no turnovers and a chance to win. That's good. Not bad.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd take that and no turnovers every single week. We could win 9 games with that. These guys are being rediculous. You want no turnovers and a chance to win. That's good. Not bad.

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I was very happy to see him make some plays with his legs. I don't remember seeing much of that before. He played well today.
Share 49ersWebzone