There are 196 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Harbaugh just told Murph & Davis on the post-game radio show that the reason offense played so conservative was simply because they just learned the playbook/system with such little time, and that he hasn't been able to grasp a real 'feel' for the guys on the offense (specially Alex), to allow Jim to put trust within opening the playbook up more.

-Brutally honest answer, and the most obvious one if anybody watched the game tonight.

Yup. After watching the Harbaugh/Roman team operate the last two years at Stanford I'm not going to trip over one game, particularly their first game.
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

LOL. High throws and missing open WRs, wtf?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

smith was pretty darn accurate today. Not just in completion percentage but his throws were spot on.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Harbaugh just told Murph & Davis on the post-game radio show that the reason offense played so conservative was simply because they just learned the playbook/system with such little time, and that he hasn't been able to grasp a real 'feel' for the guys on the offense (specially Alex), to allow Jim to put trust within opening the playbook up more.

-Brutally honest answer, and the most obvious one if anybody watched the game tonight.

Yup. After watching the Harbaugh/Roman team operate the last two years at Stanford I'm not going to trip over one game, particularly their first game.

Yep. Agreed. I think the guy knows what he is doing. He is going to rely on the defense and special teams because he knows what he'll get from them. As the players get more comfortable, he will get more comfortable, and that's when we will see the offense evolve.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Tell me where Smith missed an open receiver this game or threw it too high? The one play that I wish he could've had back today was where he checked it down to Gore when he had time instead of hitting Crabtree, who was just about to be wide open.

Other than that, Smith was very efficient, in both the pass and run game, considering what was asked of him and the playcalling. Good job by him and the OL in pass pro and hopefully we can take advantage of these things next week vs dallas. We need to pass more for sure.

Not making an excuse, but the game is actually faster than what you see on TV. Crabs wasn't open when Alex had to get rid of ball. Only way the play would have worked is if he floated it hoping Crabs would have gotten under it. I think he made the right call.
Once again, our offense has had barely a month in this system and it will take time for them to get rolling. We were all aware of this going into the preseason, our offense struggling should not be news to anybody at this point.
It was obvious that the passing game was heavily scaled back and that was by design. We're still growing into this offense so I expect it to flourish a little more as the season progresses. We took 1 deep look downfield.

The playcalling itself was too conservative for my tastes especially since it was evident after about the fourth running play that we still have some leftover issues from last year regarding run blocking. On the plus side, the pass protection seemed to be much improved.

I'll take this W. I'm happy about the performance and optimistic about the rest of the season.
Originally posted by 9rFan84:
Lmao at everyone expecting immediate results game 1. It's going to get better as each week passes.

I guess Harbaugh sucks because Alex didnt have 300 yards and 4 TD passes. Lighten up and enjoy the W, especially because it was aginst a division rival.

Understand and agree. And it is a long season, but going into a game offensively like this, the Niners will get chewed up and turn into really long season. I'm with you on being patient and letting things develop but it will be nice when offense brings balance to the team.
What is wrong with the play calling? It resulted in a W. Now you want it to be pretty.....
I don't know... those two plays where they called for Ginn to run back the kick-off and punt for touchdowns worked well.
I blame Alex. He gets so flustered under pressure that he immediately checks down. He's too afraid to make mistakes. He's shown that he has the ability/talent. I just think he lacks the confidence to meet his potential.

He's a game manager, not a franchise QB. Without a dominant run game, we need much more from our QB. I hope Kaepernick (or Tolzein) gets in there by the end of the season because we're just wasting our time giving Alex snaps. Soon enough we're going to have to move forward. The sooner, the better.

Sorry to be so pessimistic after a win, but looking ahead, that's what I think we'll be facing.
I have hope after an ugly win, because I am confident that Harbaugh will understand that he needs to improve a lot.

Singletary, on the other hand, always took the mantra that "a win is a win." If you're satisfied after ugly wins, you'll never get better.
Originally posted by strickac:
I blame Alex. He gets so flustered under pressure that he immediately checks down. He's too afraid to make mistakes. He's shown that he has the ability/talent. I just think he lacks the confidence to meet his potential.

He's a game manager, not a franchise QB. Without a dominant run game, we need much more from our QB. I hope Kaepernick (or Tolzein) gets in there by the end of the season because we're just wasting our time giving Alex snaps. Soon enough we're going to have to move forward. The sooner, the better.

Sorry to be so pessimistic after a win, but looking ahead, that's what I think we'll be facing.

the playcalling was conservitive because harbaugh didnt feel like the offense ahs mastered the playbook yet when alex was given the option to throw eep he did all other passes we designed to be short checkdowns
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I counted about 3 high passes from Alex including one in the end zone to Edwards who was open and there is absolutely no excuse for missing a wide open Crabs for a TD instead he did his patented check down to Gore. Both of those plays would have put the game away early rather than kicking FGs.
Originally posted by strickac:

Did we win?.....