There are 234 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The offense has only had 6 wks to work together and I don't think they have a lot to show yet. Alex made some nice runs and conected on 15 for 20 throws. Things will improve when JH takes the training wheels off.
Great all round team victory
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Jeez, you people would complain if they hung you with a new rope.

Amen.
Originally posted by baltien:
-Ted Ginn saved the world today. VERY impressed that he ran with such urgency. Even sweeter when you consider that he just took a pay cut just to remain a Niner. You have to admire his dedication.

-Not a fan of all the runs plays called on 3rd down. Judging by the playcalling, I think Harbaugh has some good insights into Smith's weaknesses, and (I'm guessing) didn't want to give him a chance to give the game away. I can understand that, but at some point you got to let it rip and give Alex a shot. Run, run, run just isn't going to cut it in this league (see: Mike Singletary).

-Speaking of, our running game got shut down. Kudos to Seattle's from seven. I also noticed at times that Frank looked indecisive running the ball. We all know he's a gamer, so I'm not worried about it and expect him to return to form soon. Also on the note of the running game, I think Hunter should have gotten more touches if for no other reason than to give Seattle's D a different look.

-Overall this was a good win and likely a HUGE morale boost for our boys. Harbaugh showed today that it may not always be pretty, but we definitely CAN compete. Congrats coach on your first NFL victory!
I understand the running plays in certain points and places during the game but Alex has been lights out in the red zone and was never really given a chance when they got down there.
see my singletary impression thread. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/157835-harbaughs-singletary-impression/ short story is the offensive playcalling sucked.
Play calling was so awesome compared to the last 2 years. New looking plays and new creativity
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I understand the running plays in certain points and places during the game but Alex has been lights out in the red zone and was never really given a chance when they got down there.

Agreed. I know Alex is far from perfect, but if there's one thing he's good at, it's down in the red zone. He should have been given more opportunities. The fan in me wishes we blew Seattle out just to make a statement, but I'll take the win regardless.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Well, there was at least ONE awesome play call. How about that 3rd and 1. We have an offensive linemen checked in at the strong side TE position. Their Dline is licking its chops for a "Jimmy Raye Special." The lineman stands up, checks with the wide out (to step on on the LOS) and they all just jump offsides........easy first down.

I thought that was a 4-and-1. Even better.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Our offense was always snapping with almost always 10+ seconds to spare, with more than enough time to audible/shift WRs/swing-tackles around.

That's because Raye wasn't calling the plays up in the booth with his Jabberwocky talk needing Johnson translating down on the sideline. We get it straight from Harbaugh.
Originally posted by baltien:
Agreed. I know Alex is far from perfect, but if there's one thing he's good at, it's down in the red zone. He should have been given more opportunities. The fan in me wishes we blew Seattle out just to make a statement, but I'll take the win regardless.

One thing that got confirmed again today: Smith may have problems as QB, but one thing that he is really good at is scoring with hurry-up offense.

Happy we got a W. Disappointed it looked like the same old niners, minus the big mistakes and soft defense at the end.

Looked the same:
1. Oline got no push in the run game, very concerning
2. A smith still looked nervous and hesitant,it really bothers me how much he moves his feet around and crouches before the shotgun snap. But no INTs was a big improvement.
3. Runs up the middle and passing game looked like last year.

Looked different:
1. Pass pressure was good
2. CBs played tighter to the LOS -that was refreshing and seemed to work out.
3. Gore seems to have lost his explosiveness attacking the LOS, then again, the blocking for him was horrible.
4. The catastrophic mistakes avoided- kudos to the coaching for that!
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by obx49:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well now we know why... Jim Harbaugh just said he didnt have time to properely evaulate his players since in the preseason they dont all play for a full game. The plan was to just get through this week and not put to much on the players before he knew what they could do.
Harbaugh just told Murph & Davis on the post-game radio show that the reason offense played so conservative was simply because they just learned the playbook/system with such little time, and that he hasn't been able to grasp a real 'feel' for the guys on the offense (specially Alex), to allow Jim to put trust within opening the playbook up more.

-Brutally honest answer, and the most obvious one if anybody watched the game tonight.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

Tell me where Smith missed an open receiver this game or threw it too high? The one play that I wish he could've had back today was where he checked it down to Gore when he had time instead of hitting Crabtree, who was just about to be wide open.

Other than that, Smith was very efficient, in both the pass and run game, considering what was asked of him and the playcalling. Good job by him and the OL in pass pro and hopefully we can take advantage of these things next week vs dallas. We need to pass more for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone