LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Harbaugh Handing Out The Blue Collared Shirts!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think you missed the most important reason of all; the perception that he just doesnt care to be a Niner and isn't that interested in the concept of "team."

Thank you.

I like how you respond to the people who responded to me, but not to me directly.

Moreover, I like how you present nothing to explain your perception. You simply say what your perception is and disregard peeps who actually have a reason to think what they think.

Well done.

The reasons for his perceptions are self-evident. You just disagree with his perceptions while others may share them. There really isn't anything to discuss.

BS. If you are going to make a statement here, be prepared to defend it. If you can't, then don't make the statement to begin with.

Seems several share his perceptions. You just want to argue for the sake of arguing. Why defend what is pure speculation (including on your part).

Totally disagree. Big surprise, right?

I am sick and tired of peeps talking about Crabtree like the guy is a cancer. He says NOTHING. He has never been in any kind of trouble. He has reported in shape every year. The guy hustles on every play and if you watch any 49er highlight video, you will ALWAYS find him streaking down the field to make a block.

I never said his opinion was unique. I said it was wrong. Just because a number of people have a common opinion, that doesn't make it more right. In fact, its simple regurgitation of misunderstood events that have peeps so negative to begin with.

Look, bottom line....I'm reacting this way because WAY too often peeps here are just repeating the same crap over and over again and it doesn't mesh with the facts.

FACT: Crab was hurt in a practice he had no obligation to attend. Thats the reason he's not playing in the preseason.
FACT: When the lockout was lifted for a few days during the draft, he was one of the first in the building to get a playbook.
FACT: Every single team member says that he is working hard and that he is asking all the right questions in meetings.
FACT: The guy hustles on every down and is a willing blocker.
FACT: The guy had a very good rookie year all things considered and has had ONE down year. ONE. It can easily be argued that it wasn't even his fault.

If peeps want to come at me with their "perceptions", fine. Just tell me WHY they perceive that when nothing but fan lunacy supports that perception. This is a forum where we discuss 49er subjects. If he didn't want a conversation, then he shouldn't have posted to begin with.

Nobody is coming at you. You are coming at them. Perceptions can be wrong, sure. Does it really matter?

For myself, I'm curious to see what happens when his contract is up. If he signs an extension, or re-signs with the 49ers, I'll be a little surprised. Not due to any hard evidence, just a sort of vibe that comes off the guy. I'm sure he'll work hard (he has to perform for a big contract he wants), but I think he has his heart set on some other team. Could I be wrong? Of course, it is merely based of a vibe from his dimeanor. Very possibly skewed due to his awkward social relationship with the media (was he this awkward in college?)
This should be a good offense for Crabtree. Once he's up to speed, I would think he'd ave a good year. All the other garbage means nothing. I mean, really, any of us on the Webzone forum have some inside knowledge about who this guy is in real life? Why, because he misses preseason games? He gives a lousy interview? He likes to dress nice? The only one of those that matter is missing preseason games. But really, he had surgery on his foot. That seems like a reason to miss preseason games to me. Just sayin'.
Originally posted by susweel:
Crabs won't wear because it don't match his high heels.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think you missed the most important reason of all; the perception that he just doesnt care to be a Niner and isn't that interested in the concept of "team."

Thank you.

I like how you respond to the people who responded to me, but not to me directly.

Moreover, I like how you present nothing to explain your perception. You simply say what your perception is and disregard peeps who actually have a reason to think what they think.

Well done.

The reasons for his perceptions are self-evident. You just disagree with his perceptions while others may share them. There really isn't anything to discuss.

BS. If you are going to make a statement here, be prepared to defend it. If you can't, then don't make the statement to begin with.

Seems several share his perceptions. You just want to argue for the sake of arguing. Why defend what is pure speculation (including on your part).

Totally disagree. Big surprise, right?

I am sick and tired of peeps talking about Crabtree like the guy is a cancer. He says NOTHING. He has never been in any kind of trouble. He has reported in shape every year. The guy hustles on every play and if you watch any 49er highlight video, you will ALWAYS find him streaking down the field to make a block.

I never said his opinion was unique. I said it was wrong. Just because a number of people have a common opinion, that doesn't make it more right. In fact, its simple regurgitation of misunderstood events that have peeps so negative to begin with.

Look, bottom line....I'm reacting this way because WAY too often peeps here are just repeating the same crap over and over again and it doesn't mesh with the facts.

FACT: Crab was hurt in a practice he had no obligation to attend. Thats the reason he's not playing in the preseason.
FACT: When the lockout was lifted for a few days during the draft, he was one of the first in the building to get a playbook.
FACT: Every single team member says that he is working hard and that he is asking all the right questions in meetings.
FACT: The guy hustles on every down and is a willing blocker.
FACT: The guy had a very good rookie year all things considered and has had ONE down year. ONE. It can easily be argued that it wasn't even his fault.

If peeps want to come at me with their "perceptions", fine. Just tell me WHY they perceive that when nothing but fan lunacy supports that perception. This is a forum where we discuss 49er subjects. If he didn't want a conversation, then he shouldn't have posted to begin with.

Nobody is coming at you. You are coming at them. Perceptions can be wrong, sure. Does it really matter?

For myself, I'm curious to see what happens when his contract is up. If he signs an extension, or re-signs with the 49ers, I'll be a little surprised. Not due to any hard evidence, just a sort of vibe that comes off the guy. I'm sure he'll work hard (he has to perform for a big contract he wants), but I think he has his heart set on some other team. Could I be wrong? Of course, it is merely based of a vibe from his dimeanor. Very possibly skewed due to his awkward social relationship with the media (was he this awkward in college?)

OK, I mis-spoke. I didn't mean literally "coming at me". I meant when you post something like "Ya know what pisses me off?". That was what pretty much set me off.

Its cool if you are unsure of a guy which it sounds like you are saying here. I'm just sick of people jumping on the guy when he hasn't done anything wrong. Its stuff like this that made people hate Steve Young. Its lunacy. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing (although sometimes that's fun too), I'm actually pretty annoyed how peeps turn little nothing events into bashing a guys character. I wish we all had to live under the microscope like these athletes do for a couple days to see how we would react.

As for college, I dunno. My opinion (and it is just my opinion) is that he is just socially...off. He's just a different cat. He says very little and what little he does say gets blown out of proportion.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by TlSSER:
Originally posted by susweel:
Crabs won't wear because it don't match his high heels.

i think he'll use it as an excuse to go out and buy a new pair of high heels to match the shirt.
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Lame gimmick. Seems like something Singletary would do.

While I agree that the symbolic nature of this is along the lines of something that Singletary would do, I feel that the difference is that Harbaugh will follow it up with more than empty statements. The guys at Stanford really seem to buy into it. Now, you can debate whether or not it's a little too "college-style-rah-rah", but I kinda like it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this as well. It's my experience that the smartest people don't feel compelled to tell you how smart they are, the hardest workers don't boast about how hard they work, etc. When people do that, I get a little suspicious.

Harbaugh will set the bar for the team regarding hard work and preparation based on how hard he works and how prepared he is. The other stuff is unsustainable fluff. Singletary's rah-rah lines worked at first, but once that lost it's luster everyone could see that that emperor had no clothes. Probably because he pulled down his pants.
The difference is that if Sing hands out these shirts, he would be doing it on top of Mt. Pain symbolizing only the condition part of football.

When Harbaugh hands out these shirts its for the entire job, including the classroom. Wont make a difference on gameday, but it lightens the mood, keeps guys loose and gives the players a momento of Harbs first year coaching. All coaches do this gimmicky stuff, in college its to get guys fired up, at the pro level its just to keep things light and loose.
OK, I mis-spoke. I didn't mean literally "coming at me". I meant when you post something like "Ya know what pisses me off?". That was what pretty much set me off.

Its cool if you are unsure of a guy which it sounds like you are saying here. I'm just sick of people jumping on the guy when he hasn't done anything wrong. Its stuff like this that made people hate Steve Young. Its lunacy. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing (although sometimes that's fun too), I'm actually pretty annoyed how peeps turn little nothing events into bashing a guys character. I wish we all had to live under the microscope like these athletes do for a couple days to see how we would react.

As for college, I dunno. My opinion (and it is just my opinion) is that he is just socially...off. He's just a different cat. He says very little and what little he does say gets blown out of proportion.
Okay Marvin, you want me to support my perceptions?

Here you go:

1. Crabtree holds out for the longest holdout in 49ers history. This has nothing to do with my perception that he has poor work ethic; however, it began my disdain for him.

2. Vernon tries to get Crabtree to get some extra work in and catch balls from the JUGS machine. Crabtree does not accept Vernon's offer. The two have to be separated at practice. It is widely believed that Vernon confronted Crabtree regarding his lack of "team" or lack of work ethic. Crabtree begins to earn the perception as being lazy. This is from memory, I don't care to research the validity of it. Nor do I have to, because it is still MY perception.

3. Crabtree misses preseason #2. Fine, whatever. He is ready to go for regular season, and as our #1 WR. I am expecting big things from him; however, he failed to live up to expectations. I think that if he had not missed preseason and developed more of a chemistry with Alex Smith, he would have been better. This would have made the 49ers a better offense. MY perception.

4. Offseason number 3. Alex Smith conducts off season lockout workouts. Crabtree is invited but he doesn't come right away and then when he does come, it's just to view film? You need to get out there and develop some chemistry with your teammates. Sure he practiced some, but nothing like the other players who were there.

5. Crabtree misses preseason #3. Okay, now this is annoying. Then all the sudden he is ready to go for the regular season again? This is what pisses me off. What a coincidence. Do you think for one second Michael Crabtree would be playing in a regular season game if he was playing for Bill Parcells? You don't practice, you don't play.

My perception is that Michael Crabtree is soft and he lacks the work ethic to be a premier WR in this league. Maybe I am wrong. Heck, I hope I am wrong! If Michael Crabtree comes back this season and lights it up, makes the tough catches, gets up after he is hit, plays hard for his team week in and week out. Then I will gladly eat crow!

Marvin, I don't expect that you will see Crabtree the way I do. I don't expect to change your mind about Crabtree, nor will you change my mind. Time will reveal this to us.

Now as far as your statement: "I wish we all had to live under the microscope like these athletes do for a couple days to see how we would react." I don't feel sorry for one minute for these poor little millionaires. They are under the microscope because they are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a game. That's fine, I don't bemoan them for making the money, as far as I am concerned they deserve it; however, don't cry about people being all over your business. Being a professional athlete will force you to be under the microscope. They have to deal with it. I pay my money to see these athletes perform, so when they don't or they have the appearance of being lazy, or taking plays off, then it pisses me off! And I have every right to be pissed off. MY perception.
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
Lame gimmick. Seems like something Singletary would do.

While I agree that the symbolic nature of this is along the lines of something that Singletary would do, I feel that the difference is that Harbaugh will follow it up with more than empty statements. The guys at Stanford really seem to buy into it. Now, you can debate whether or not it's a little too "college-style-rah-rah", but I kinda like it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this as well. It's my experience that the smartest people don't feel compelled to tell you how smart they are, the hardest workers don't boast about how hard they work, etc. When people do that, I get a little suspicious.

Harbaugh will set the bar for the team regarding hard work and preparation based on how hard he works and how prepared he is. The other stuff is unsustainable fluff. Singletary's rah-rah lines worked at first, but once that lost it's luster everyone could see that that emperor had no clothes. Probably because he pulled down his pants.

if he keeps Crabs on the bench until he earns a starting spot then I'm sold

Okay Marvin, you want me to support my perceptions?

Here you go:

1. Crabtree holds out for the longest holdout in 49ers history. This has nothing to do with my perception that he has poor work ethic; however, it began my disdain for him.

2. Vernon tries to get Crabtree to get some extra work in and catch balls from the JUGS machine. Crabtree does not accept Vernon's offer. The two have to be separated at practice. It is widely believed that Vernon confronted Crabtree regarding his lack of "team" or lack of work ethic. Crabtree begins to earn the perception as being lazy. This is from memory, I don't care to research the validity of it. Nor do I have to, because it is still MY perception.

3. Crabtree misses preseason #2. Fine, whatever. He is ready to go for regular season, and as our #1 WR. I am expecting big things from him; however, he failed to live up to expectations. I think that if he had not missed preseason and developed more of a chemistry with Alex Smith, he would have been better. This would have made the 49ers a better offense. MY perception.

4. Offseason number 3. Alex Smith conducts off season lockout workouts. Crabtree is invited but he doesn't come right away and then when he does come, it's just to view film? You need to get out there and develop some chemistry with your teammates. Sure he practiced some, but nothing like the other players who were there.

5. Crabtree misses preseason #3. Okay, now this is annoying. Then all the sudden he is ready to go for the regular season again? This is what pisses me off. What a coincidence. Do you think for one second Michael Crabtree would be playing in a regular season game if he was playing for Bill Parcells? You don't practice, you don't play.

My perception is that Michael Crabtree is soft and he lacks the work ethic to be a premier WR in this league. Maybe I am wrong. Heck, I hope I am wrong! If Michael Crabtree comes back this season and lights it up, makes the tough catches, gets up after he is hit, plays hard for his team week in and week out. Then I will gladly eat crow!

Marvin, I don't expect that you will see Crabtree the way I do. I don't expect to change your mind about Crabtree, nor will you change my mind. Time will reveal this to us.

Now as far as your statement: "I wish we all had to live under the microscope like these athletes do for a couple days to see how we would react." I don't feel sorry for one minute for these poor little millionaires. They are under the microscope because they are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a game. That's fine, I don't bemoan them for making the money, as far as I am concerned they deserve it; however, don't cry about people being all over your business. Being a professional athlete will force you to be under the microscope. They have to deal with it. I pay my money to see these athletes perform, so when they don't or they have the appearance of being lazy, or taking plays off, then it pisses me off! And I have every right to be pissed off. MY perception.

1) Given...and the reason people on this board are determined to hate the guy. This is my point. This one event had tainted everything that came after. What people don't seem to remember is him finally showing up and STARTING the first game he suited up for...and played well.

2) Fabrication. We know there was a scuffle, but nobody has said what it was about.

3) He was hurt. Thats why he didn't play in pre-season. He got his it practice while making a catch in the air and landed on his head. It was a neck injury. He can't help that. His ability to play is determined by team doctors and coaches, not himself.

4) Incorrect. He DID report...when he didn't have to. There was no obligation for him to show up at all...and he did. In fact, he got hurt doing so. You are referring to the prior workouts in the summer....where MOST OF THE TEAM didn't show, including Frank Gore. Maybe we should call out Frank Gore now...he doesn't want to be a Niner. Most of the team doesn't show, and the only player called out is Crabtree. Odd.

5) DUDE. HE HAD A BROKEN FOOT. HE HAD SURGERY. This is VERIFYABLE. In fact, he injured his foot doing the non-mandatory practice with his teammates that a large % of the team didn't attend. Even after getting hurt, he still showed up for all of the meetings and was on the field with his teammates.

I know what your perception is, and it really sucks. The guy works hard but has to deal with people CONSTANTLY questioning his character.

I'm not asking you to feel sorry for him. I'm saying that if you were in his shoes for a few days you would have a much better understanding of his behavior. Not talking to the media doesn't mean he's a diva. Not having much to say doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a Niner. It simply means he doesn't like speaking in public and everytime he does his words are twisted against him. I wouldn't want to talk to the media either.

Finally, and I want to make this clear...I'm not trying to attack you. I'm attacking the perception that you are regurgitating. I don't expect to convince you. I'm just sick and tired of this same old stuff being told over and over again without the benefit of perspective.

You guys have put more effort into this debate than Crabtree has put into his 3 preseasons combined.
  • dj43
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://twitter.com/#!/KingCrab15/status/111238360592416768

KingCrab15 Michael Crabtree
My work shirt... Blue collar yfrog.com/kgv2lsj

Good stuff

The part that especially impressed me was about humility and hard work. You didn't get to third base on your own so quit thinking you are all so much. No "impose our will" false bravado or "red tie like my dad used to wear on the sidelines."

Yes, it is a bit smaltzy but it says something about the attitude he brings and what he expects of the players.

I don't expect this team to win more than 8 games at the most this season but with this kind of attitude, the team will look a lot more like a football team than what we have seen in the past 8 years.
Great.

Now our team looks like they work for Jiffy lube.
IT'S NOT A CRABTREE THREAD!!! That is all.
You guys have put more effort into this debate than Crabtree has put into his 3 preseasons combined.

LOL! OK, I have to admit...that made me laugh. ;-)
Share 49ersWebzone