There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tolzien vs. Kaepernick

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I think Harbaugh taking Kaep as early as he did and not drafting Tolzien tells you something.. Unless Tolzien plays lights out next years camp and preseason, Kaep is still the future, as of now.

It's really hard to grasp; back in 2008 (during Aaron Rogers' first year as full-year starter), Mike McCarthy drafted Brian Brohm (in the 2nd round), and Matt Flynn (who almost went un-drafted, barely making it out of the 7th) as a possible contingency plan encase Rogers flopped. -Brian Bohm isn't even in the NFL anymore, and Matt Flynn is looking like the next "Kevin Kolb" bench-to-starter prospect.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You don't draft Scott Tolzien, HE DRAFTS YOU!

I'm amazed at some of you ppl...how is this even a debate? If Harbaugh wanted Tolzien to be his future QB he would have drafted Tolzien and not Kaepernick. Colin is RAW he had an shortened off season on a team with a new coaching staff he's coming from a Pistol offense, did you expect him to be ready? Kaepernick has sick athletic ability and was Harbaugh's choice, he will be developed the right way and will start for this team in the future. For everyone that's so excited about Tolzien, he's a rookie that we picked up because he wasn't one of the Chargers best 3 QBs, he was undrafted, in other words he's a nice backup not Joe Montana.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 139
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm amazed at some of you ppl...how is this even a debate? If Harbaugh wanted Tolzien to be his future QB he would have drafted Tolzien and not Kaepernick. Colin is RAW he had an shortened off season on a team with a new coaching staff he's coming from a Pistol offense, did you expect him to be ready? Kaepernick has sick athletic ability and was Harbaugh's choice, he will be developed the right way and will start for this team in the future. For everyone that's so excited about Tolzien, he's a rookie that we picked up because he wasn't one of the Chargers best 3 QBs, he was undrafted, in other words he's a nice backup not Joe Montana.

Very well said. I know time will tell, but if Tolzien was on our team in the preseason, he would have struggled like our two guys. Kaep is gonna be a beast. Tolzien will be the seconded coming of Ty Detmer and NOT Joe Montana.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm amazed at some of you ppl...how is this even a debate? If Harbaugh wanted Tolzien to be his future QB he would have drafted Tolzien and not Kaepernick. Colin is RAW he had an shortened off season on a team with a new coaching staff he's coming from a Pistol offense, did you expect him to be ready? Kaepernick has sick athletic ability and was Harbaugh's choice, he will be developed the right way and will start for this team in the future. For everyone that's so excited about Tolzien, he's a rookie that we picked up because he wasn't one of the Chargers best 3 QBs, he was undrafted, in other words he's a nice backup not Joe Montana.

I agree completely!
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Kaepernick, hands down.....just look at this guy....his attitude toward the game.....the work ethic.....this guy wants to be great....and he'll get there.....TRUST IN JIM!!!

You know who else wanted to be great and was a great athlete...........wait for it.....................Taylor Mays.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 139
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Kaepernick, hands down.....just look at this guy....his attitude toward the game.....the work ethic.....this guy wants to be great....and he'll get there.....TRUST IN JIM!!!


You know who else wanted to be great and was a great athlete...........wait for it.....................Taylor Mays.

Kaep is not Mays. (Nuff Said)
  • g60nx
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 99
watch 9.6 Scott Tolzien (interview)
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/ninersvideo#
"Doing anything in your power to win games..."
The guy is god lol
(ps I woulda post this in his thread but it got locked up lol)

  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,224
with his luck, Alex Smith
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I think Harbaugh taking Kaep as early as he did and not drafting Tolzien tells you something.. Unless Tolzien plays lights out next years camp and preseason, Kaep is still the future, as of now.

It's really hard to grasp; back in 2008 (during Aaron Rogers' first year as full-year starter), Mike McCarthy drafted Brian Brohm (in the 2nd round), and Matt Flynn (who almost went un-drafted, barely making it out of the 7th) as a possible contingency plan encase Rogers flopped. -Brian Bohm isn't even in the NFL anymore, and Matt Flynn is looking like the next "Kevin Kolb" bench-to-starter prospect.

The reason is, as I remember it, there was talk Rodgers was a flop. Heard a story the other day that during the 07 offseason Rodgers put in the work and came back a different QB.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
On Tolzien's physical, 49er team doctors were shocked to discover that Tolzien has six testicles, each the size of a coconut and radiating a previously unnamed color of light that could only be desribed as "scrumtrulescant."

So he isn't the one then, we need one with balls made of brass or chromium stainless steel
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,562
Championship.
I know most of you won't like to hear this but here is a possible reality.

If Alex Smith shows he can be the QB the Niners thought he'd be when they drafted him. He will get a new contract written up. I predict that with that contract he will become the defacto starter for the 49ers for another 2 to 5 seasons. Then he will exit the NFL after having taken us to the Superbowl and then retiring in peace. And Kap with all his Bench warming will stretch his wings and continue as the new Starter having learned everything he can as a back up QB.

I know it sounds crazy but ya never know. And you can't say it can't happen either. With the QB whisperer at the Helm of our team anythings possible. And with Alex starting this season its not all that farfetched he could start next year too if he does well.

I do not see Tolzien being anything but a potential back up QB when Kap takes the reins finally. Sorry Tolzien Lovers but hes not really in a position to do anything.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,802
Kaep is gonna be much better next year after an of season of working with Harbaugh. But I do believe that if Tolzien learns the offense quickly he should be the #2 this year and be given a shot to compete with the transformer next year. The dark horse is that Alex leads the team to the playoffs and is resigned.
Here's one comparison:

Tolzien, at least one time in the game (and this whole preseason) completed a pass while in the pocket under heavy pressure, guys in his face, and hit as he released the throw.

I don't think I had seen Kaep at anytime during the preseason (and he has played extensively) do the same, much less attempt a pass under the same conditions. He's either gotten sacked or he's scrambled out. I could be wrong, but I don't think I saw anything in the Saints, Raiders, or Chargers game. (Not sure about the Texans game).

I just think that is one more indication of how Tolzien may be just a little more ahead of Kaep in their NFL QB development, in terms of read progression, standing tall in the pocket, and getting the ball off within the designed pass play.