There are 267 users in the forums

Tolzien vs. Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Tolzien has all the tools to be a WCO QB.
Originally posted by pd24:
Tolzien has all the tools to be a WCO QB.

So did JTO. They appear similar in their throwing ability but Tolzien is a little more athletic. It's more comforting to know Harbaugh had his eye on him prior to the draft.
All I know is Harbaugh and Baalke have faith in Kaepernick and Tolzien, they have them under contract for 3-4 more years. Alex Smith will be gone next year, and the two will battle for the starting job.

This is the BEST qb depth the niners have had in years.

Lights years ahead of Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, Gio Carmazzi, Steve Stenstrom, Cody Pickett, Nate Davis,
Originally posted by 9erred:
All I know is Harbaugh and Baalke have faith in Kaepernick and Tolzien, they have them under contract for 3-4 more years. Alex Smith will be gone next year, and the two will battle for the starting job.

This is the BEST qb depth the niners have had in years.

Lights years ahead of Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, Gio Carmazzi, Steve Stenstrom, Cody Pickett, Nate Davis,

Whoa! A possible bust starter and two rookies?

Tim Rattay + rookie Alex Smith >> Alex Smith + rookie Kaep.

You guys crack me up jumping on and off bandwagons before they even go thru a full season. Tolzien could very well be like Brady, nothing to look at but having that hidden something. JH harbaugh did want to sign him as an UDFA, but he chose the Chargers. Of course Tolzien has an advantage just like Stanzi had an advantage they both played in a pro style offense. I was one of those that would not have minded if the niners spent a seventh rounder on one of those two-using the shot gun approach of hitting on the niners future QB. In fact Tolzien's Wisconsin Badgers ran a form of WCO from what I read and one of his coaches is the brother of current niners QB coach. So I expect Tolzein to be farther along. Question is how much more ceiling room does he have.

Kaeps ceiling is very high, but will he reach it is dependent what you can't see between his head. He certainly has the physical tools and confidence. Not saying he is Brett Farve, but if you remember Farve coming out in his first year at Atlanta was similar, but Holmgren saw his potential and molded him. Same with Steve Young, raw talent. Still has to be molded, rare are the Dan Marinos, Ben Rothlesberger who come in day one and flourish.

Give them both time and we will find out at years end or after when the shot gun has been fired, which one hits.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Tolzien looked more polished in the preseason, but why was he so overlooked in the draft. No team selected him in any round. CK looks raw but he will progress under Harbaugh. If CK is the real deal there is no way Harbaugh brings in another rookie. This situation will play itself out.

Not to nail the hammer in the head, but Brady was overlooked too...
Q: Did you ask for No. 16? (His college number)

TOLZIEN: I actually did, jokingly. I walked in there and said, ?I want 16? and they said, ?No, you can?t,? and I said, ?No, I want 16!? (Laughs). But I understand.

Anyone who has the balls to joke about this first day ever in 49er Hqs is okay in my book.
Why didn't this guy get drafted, even in the later rounds?
Has anyone anointed him the second coming yet?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Has anyone anointed him the second coming yet?

maybe. I think he'll outplay Kaep next year in camp and pre-season games.

Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

TOLZIEN: I actually did, jokingly. I walked in there and said, ?I want 16? and they said, ?No, you can?t,? and I said, ?No, I want 16!? (Laughs). But I understand.

Anyone who has the balls to joke about this first day ever in 49er Hqs is okay in my book.

This.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

On Tolzien's physical, 49er team doctors were shocked to discover that Tolzien has six testicles, each the size of a coconut and radiating a previously unnamed color of light that could only be desribed as "scrumtrulescant."
Kaepernick, hands down.....just look at this guy....his attitude toward the game.....the work ethic.....this guy wants to be great....and he'll get there.....TRUST IN JIM!!!
I think Harbaugh taking Kaep as early as he did and not drafting Tolzien tells you something.. Unless Tolzien plays lights out next years camp and preseason, Kaep is still the future, as of now.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I think Harbaugh taking Kaep as early as he did and not drafting Tolzien tells you something.. Unless Tolzien plays lights out next years camp and preseason, Kaep is still the future, as of now.

You don't draft Scott Tolzien, HE DRAFTS YOU!
Share 49ersWebzone