There are 215 users in the forums

Tolzien vs. Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Alex Smith - for now and we will see how it goes this season under the direction of Harbaugh.

2) Scott Tolzien - when he learns the playbook. He doesn't even know it right now. So of course he is at a disadvantage. But when he does it's obvious he has more pocket presense and accuracy than Kaep.

3) Colin Kaepernick - If his preseason wasn't enough to convince you he can't do anything right now in the NFL I don't know what to say. A pure physical specimin who needs about 2 years on the bench to brought up to speed. Don't expect anything at all from him in 2011 and probably not 2012 either.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Kaepernick's obvious struggles are not a sure sign he can't play in the NFL. Josh Freeman is probably one of the most comparable QBs in the NFL, and he looked awful as a rookie. I remember a lot of people on laughing about what a bust he was. But it turns out that when the Bucs gave someone with that physical skill set the time to adapt to the NFL, they were rewarded with a truly talented player.

So yes, right now Tolzien looks way more like an NFL QB. And could certainly also continue to improve with more time in the NFL. I'm super happy about the signing.

But don't write Kaepernick off yet.

I don't write off Kaep. But it is true that he is a major project and will take about 2 years. I'm fine with that project as it is in Harbaugh's hands. But what is clear is he is useless for 2011 and probably for 2012 too. I didn't say he could never play in the NFL. He may or may not. He is a long term project with boom or bust potential. It's certainly possible he works out well and possible he doesn't.

Gotcha. I think we're pretty much on the same page then.

Although, if I remember correctly, Freeman looked as lost as Kaepernick his first year, but then looked shockingly better in just his second year.

Either way, I'm exciting about both rookie QBs. And I'm happy we doubled our chances by getting two. In fact, in my mock draft for this year, I had us taking two QBs for exactly that reason (although I had Locker and Froman).
This is how I look at it, Tolzein is the Montana type (precision passer), Kaep is the Young type (can make things happen with his legs but needs to develop his passing game a bit) Looks like Walsh taught Harbaugh well.
Remember in Rogers first year of starting, he had Brohm and Flynn backing him up. (two rookies) Harbaugh is taking the same risk.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:
This is how I look at it, Tolzein is the Montana type (precision passer), Kaep is the Young type (can make things happen with his legs but needs to develop his passing game a bit) Looks like Walsh taught Harbaugh well.

Obviously, the OP has forgotten that Nate Davis is a FA and will soon start for the Niners and lead us to the Superbowl.
Scott Tolzien will not only lead us to a superbowl but heal all players and staff of injuries while turning water into wine

OUR SAVIOR IS HERE
When will Kaepernick
They are both rookies so obviously they are making their share of bad decisions on the field. The differences are Tolzien has a bit of a gunslinger so he makes quicker decision to throw the ball. Kap has more athleticism and mobility so he can make a quick run from trouble. It's just too early to say who's better or worse. They seems to offer different style to playing qb, have differ skill sets to take advantage of. I really don't see any difference between them right now in what they can offer to the team because they both need development and experience. Tolzien has shown enough to at least get Harbaugh to give him equal reps as Kap. I think it will be a good/tough decision for Harbaugh down the road on this regard. If Harbaugh can develop these guys further, our qb situation may be very good a year from now.
The First Commandment:

Thou shalt not worship any false Gods, only Scott Tolzien the almighty himself
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They are both rookies so obviously they are making their share of bad decisions on the field. The differences are Tolzien has a bit of a gunslinger so he makes quicker decision to throw the ball. Kap has more athleticism and mobility so he can make a quick run from trouble. It's just too early to say who's better or worse. They seems to offer different style to playing qb, have differ skill sets to take advantage of. I really don't see any difference between them right now in what they can offer to the team because they both need development and experience. Tolzien has shown enough to at least get Harbaugh to give him equal reps as Kap. I think it will be a good/tough decision for Harbaugh down the road on this regard. If Harbaugh can develop these guys further, our qb situation may be very good a year from now.

Tolzien is much better. It's not too early to say. Now that could possibly change. But as of right now that's how it is.

Only if Gore
Funny little thing I just noticed. -Scott Tolzien wore a brace on his left leg throughout his entire college career under Badgers OC/QB coach Paul Chryst (Geep Chryst's brother) at Wisconsin, and judging by Thursday's performance, Scott still wears one now in the NFL.

Modernist WCO guys and their QBs wearing friggen leg braces... I swear.
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
If Tolzien was playing for us this preseason, he would have looked as bad as our other two QB's. Just saying. It's funny how fast everyone"s jumped on his bandwagon just because he spanked our 2nd/3rd string defense. If he turns out to be a stud, then awesome, but you guys are looking desperate. That said, let's kill those shi**y seahawks Sunday!
Tolzien looked more polished in the preseason, but why was he so overlooked in the draft. No team selected him in any round. CK looks raw but he will progress under Harbaugh. If CK is the real deal there is no way Harbaugh brings in another rookie. This situation will play itself out.
Originally posted by boast:

You always have the best gifs...lol

Awesome movie too.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:25 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone