There are 208 users in the forums

The OFFICIAL Scott Tolzien Time Traveling Delorean of TRIUMPH!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
dude, u just dont like anybody but AS, I mean, nate davis, carr, Kap, troy smith. u always find something negative about other qb's. Tolzien looked good in SD, and now with us, no matter the OL, OC, wr's, multiple playbooks, etc, etc....

lets wait for Harbaugh to decide, he's the qb guru

holy crap this must be your longest post and no emoticons too
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Right now Tolzien could be an Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Tim Rattay, Bill Musgrave type of back up. Good off the bench for several games, but might disappoint once given the key to the offense for a whole year or more. Rooting for him to be more than that, but freak'n Tim Rattay got me real skeptical of backups with high intelligence and low on athleticism.

dude, u just dont like anybody but AS, I mean, nate davis, carr, Kap, troy smith. u always find something negative about other qb's. Tolzien looked good in SD, and now with us, no matter the OL, OC, wr's, multiple playbooks, etc, etc....

You forgot about Hill-- I didn't like him either but I supported him when he started Just afraid Tolzien might float a few for 4INTs during real games when I have been all over his jock up until that point.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

holy crap this must be your only post without moronic stats

dont worry, he's safe, Tolzien is going to the PS
Start him next week! Let him run with the ones! Then we will see what is to be seen.

Ahh... No. He won't be safe on the practice squad. Some a**hole team will pick him up and put him on their active roster. Remind me not to put you on the list of potential GM. Tolzien will be 1 of 3 qb on our active roster. Don't believe he will be cut
Ahh... No. He won't be safe on the practice squad. Some a**hole team will pick him up and put him on their active roster. Remind me not to put you on the list of potential GM. Tolzien will be 1 of 3 qb on our active roster. Don't believe he will be cut

agreed he is too good
Tolzien looked like a good system qb, and if we're asking him to be alex smith 2.0 then he could be a great fit for this team down the line, however I wouldnt say he blew me away with his performance.

Kap Looked good as well and did what was asked of him, he's still got a ways to go, but he did show flashes of next level talent, and could become a mcnabb/ cunningham duel threat type of player.

Anytime you have a dual threat type of qb he's going to be more of a wildcard rather than a solid system qb with good timing and instincts, Tolzien's got Kap in that area for sure, but in the talent area Kap has the advantage and if his brain catches up with his body, he could be special. Like Chauncey said, I think Kap has the higher ceiling.

As far as the #2 qb position is concerned...

Tolzien looks like he as a better grasp of the timing of the offense, and could be efficient in the event of an alex injury, (knock on wood)
Kap is more erratic, but his Athletic ability opens up more of the playbook and gives defenses more to worry about.

Kap is more like a "shot in the arm"
Tolzien is more like a "keep the ship steady"

I guess it would depend on the situation.

agreed he is too good

I finally got around to watching Friday's game. I was most interested in seeing how Kaepernick and Tolzien looked, and suffice it to say that I am thrilled with Kap's progress but blown away by Tolzien (the only other time I had watched him was when the Niners played at SD in the pre-season last year). He gets out of center quickly; he is extremely decisive; his accuracy is fantastic. He also has a confidence in the way he directs the offense that I don't think is taught. I would love to see what he can do with the first-string offense. Perhaps we will get a chance in the third or fourth pre-season.

I don't see how Tolzien doesn't get picked up by any other team looking for a back-up and potential future starter. I believe Josh Johnson will not make the roster. Short of winning a Super Bowl, Alex Smith is going to have his hands full retaining his starting job next year, as both Tolzien and Kaepernick are charging hard. It is going to be interesting for sure.

lol i was thinking of that too

All of the QBs listed suck (except for Kap, jury is still out obviously). It's easy to find negatives when the player isn't good. Funny how all of Smith's prospective replacements suck a lot more than him. People get excited with those guys after one good pass and they end up being s*itty.

Coach Harbaugh please cut that n***a Josh Johnson
No need to rush any of our QBs into action when we've got a capable starter signed to a three year deal. The only thing that would suck is to groom a guy like Kap or Tolzien and then have them leave when their contract is up....
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Coach Harbaugh please cut that n***a Josh Johnson

that's racist
Originally posted by toeshawn:
baby drew brees!

Cool nickname. I was impressed that our own defense thinks so highly of him. Considering how many QBs our D fooled last year, it is crazy that Whitner said they can never fool Tolzien.

As far as the backup position, I think Kap will be active on game days, because he offers something different than Alex, but I think the offense would require fewer adjustments if Tolzien had to step in for Alex (knocking on the wood).
This isn't a popular thing to say...

...but I say trade Kaepernick to a QB-needy team if you can get a #1 or two #2's and just roll with Smitty & Tolzien.
Share 49ersWebzone