LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Same thing that they said about Montana. Championship.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I dont want to win the division at 7-9. I want to build a powerhouse and a superbowl winner.

One step at a time.
Excited we got him!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Nice developmental prospect. Tolzien is a good fit for the West Coast Offense. But our depth at QB is Alex Smith and two rookies? Seriously?

It seems Harubaugh is putting the season on Smiths shoulders (literally & figuratively). If Smith doesn't work out, it looks as if we are taking this as a rebuilding year. I don't see how Harbaugh would expect us to make the play-offs with such little experience at the 2 and 3.

Can you say, Luck sweepstakes by mid season?
He looked great with San Diego. Excited to see what he can do down the road.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
This move is aimed at 2012 and beyond. Harbaugh is clearly rolling the dice on 2011. I think he has so much confidence in himself, his system, and his coaching staff that he believes he can make Alex Smith into a winner now. If Smith goes down for one or two games, they can get by with one of the rookies plus a simplified playbook and emphasis on the running game. If Smith goes down with a season ending injury... well, then you lose your gamble. But as an NFL Head Coach, the best time to gamble and lose is your first season. Ownership, management, and the fans are much more tolerant of failure in your first year than at any other time. So it's Alex Smith and cross your fingers for now, but you've got two good QB prospects for the future.

Very astute and insightful observations. I think you hit the nail on the head on all counts.

yeah, good points Lifer.
I think someone may have posted a link to this on a previous page. But everyone should seriously watch this. I saw this when it first aired, and is when I was first introduced to Tolzien, been a huge fan of the guy since, glad we picked him up.

Originally posted by HessianDud:
not a "who" but a "what" : McDonald's has gotten into the wedding business.

lol
This reminds me of Green Bay's QB situation in 2008. Favre had "retired" and Rodgers was going to get his chance as the starting QB. They drafted Brian Brohm in the second round and also took Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm was suppose to be either the solid back up behind Rodgers or eventually supplant Rodgers if Rodgers were to struggle. Flynn outplayed Brohm and won the back up position behind Rodgers in the preseason. Packers went into that season with a promising, but unproven QB in Rodgers and two rookie QBs.

Presently, Rodgers is a superstar. Flynn is looking to be the 2012 version of Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel or Matt Schaub. Brohm is a back up QB in Buffalo.

I am not saying Alex Smith will prove critiques wrong and become a superstar or Tolzein will supplant Kaepernick and/or Kaepernick will be a bust (I don't wish that on him). I am just merely pointing out that our 2011 QB situation reminds me of the Packers 2008 QB situation (though can you blame me if I am ecstatic if our QB situation turns out like theirs?).

While most football analysts are scratching their heads by our move, I think when you have a supposed quarterback guru in Jim Harbaugh, you would want to bring in as many young QBs as possible to develop with the hopes that they can either step in if the current QB disappoints or if your current or another QB is successful, you can trade the promising young QB for high draft picks. It certainly has worked for Bill Belichick (and he could have two more in Hoyer and Mallett).
[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM ]
I'd love to be the proverbial fly on the wall when AS and Tolzien compare and contrast Norv Turner and JH.........

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
This move is aimed at 2012 and beyond. Harbaugh is clearly rolling the dice on 2011. I think he has so much confidence in himself, his system, and his coaching staff that he believes he can make Alex Smith into a winner now. If Smith goes down for one or two games, they can get by with one of the rookies plus a simplified playbook and emphasis on the running game. If Smith goes down with a season ending injury... well, then you lose your gamble. But as an NFL Head Coach, the best time to gamble and lose is your first season. Ownership, management, and the fans are much more tolerant of failure in your first year than at any other time. So it's Alex Smith and cross your fingers for now, but you've got two good QB prospects for the future.

Very astute and insightful observations. I think you hit the nail on the head on all counts.

Agree with your observation. Harbaugh and Balkee would never say this publically but this is a transition year for a team that will at most win 5 or 6 games. Use Smith like Walsh used DeBerg (stop gap) until 1 of these 2 QB are ready. By adding Tolzien this forces both young QB's to stay focused and prepared. Ultimatley what we get in 3 years (if Harbaugh QB magic is true) are 2 very competent QB that we can inter-change or as earlier stated trade like Reid does in Philly.

I think it is a great move at worst we go 2-14 and draft Luck. At best Harbaugh helps Smith become a QB he lead us to the playoffs and we have a QB we can trade down the road in Tolzien or Colin. Yes I m dreaming about Smith

Originally posted by zillabeast:
WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT THE WEEK ONE STARTER YET???
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
This reminds me of Green Bay's QB situation in 2008. Favre had "retired" and Rodgers was going to get his chance as the starting QB. They drafted Brian Brohm in the second round and also took Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm was suppose to be either the solid back up behind Rodgers or eventually supplant Rodgers if Rodgers were to struggle. Flynn outplayed Brohm and won the back up position behind Rodgers in the preseason. Packers went into that season with a promising, but unproven QB in Rodgers and two rookie QBs.

Presently, Rodgers is a superstar. Flynn is looking to be the 2012 version of Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel or Matt Schaub. Brohm is a back up QB in Buffalo.

I am not saying Alex Smith will prove critiques wrong and become a superstar or Tolzein will supplant Kaepernick and/or Kaepernick will be a bust (I don't wish that on him). I am just merely pointing out that our 2011 QB situation reminds me of the Packers 2008 QB situation (though can you blame me if I am ecstatic if our QB situation turns out like theirs?).

While most football analysts are scratching their heads by our move, I think when you have a supposed quarterback guru in Jim Harbaugh, you would want to bring in as many young QBs as possible to develop with the hopes that they can either step in if the current QB disappoints or if your current or another QB is successful, you can trade the promising young QB for high draft picks. It certainly has worked for Bill Belichick (and he could have two more in Hoyer and Mallett).

I hope our situation turns out to be closer to Green Bays than Arizonas.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
McCown wraps up 49er career with passer rating of 118.8, highest in team history.
Originally posted by Muggins879:
McCown wraps up 49er career with passer rating of 118.8, highest in team history.

always leave on a high note!

Share 49ersWebzone