Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KID9R:
72.9 comp%
2459 yards
16/6. Td/int
165.9 rating

Love the comp %

very accurate indeed. there are starting qbs in the nfl that cant hit 73% of passes in practice with nobody covering. thats not easily done, thats for sure.
I get the impression that Harbaugh is trying to do what he does best, turn talent into gold at the qb position. I think its pretty obvious that McCown was brought in for the preseason to learn the offense then we can go get him during the season if need be. I think this season is obviously a rebuilding year and Harbaugh didn't want all his chips riding on Kaep. Whether tolzien is ever going to be more than a back up or not, its still another fresh mind to teach the system. I still consider mccown the #2 qb.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
anyone still think kap isnt the #2 qb?

Kaep is the number 2 because he knows the offense. But as far as future #1? I think they are both about even as far as future possibility. Both are projects, giving the edge to Tolzien due to experience in a pro-style and playing under center.

even? hardly even imo. the niners took kap in the top of the 2nd rd for a reason. because they really like his potential and upside.he is the only player in ncaa history to throw for 10,000 yds and rush for 4,000 yds. kap has that elite talent that you just dont see every day. tolzien may look more comfortable now, because he played under center in college. but make no mistake about it. kap has a much higher ceiling then tolzien.

This is what people always say about higher draft picks -- higher upside -- and then occassionally a kid like Montana, Brady emerge. NOT COMPARING TOLZEIN to Montana or Brady, just saying. I like Kap's upside too, and the coaches clearly believed that in drafting him. But the real proof in upside isn't college stats, its who grasps and excels in the offensive scheme and become a Pro QB!
We are concerned about the back up qb position because we are tired of our team looking like bush league incompetants. Being the laughing stock of the league is getting really old. At least McGown could bring a team to the line of scrimmage and manage a game. We would not be laughing stocks with him under center.
WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT THE WEEK ONE STARTER YET???
  • Jiks
Originally posted by PTulini:
If any of you don't think this is a rebuilding year, you're kidding yourselves! I don't expect a playoff run this season. In fact, I think this offense will struggle until at lest mid-season. It will take time and patience.

With guys like Gore, VD, Braylon, and a no matter how you view Smith, I think we have a pretty decent shot. I agree that the offense will struggle but I think our defense is capable of keeping us in games. I think we could win 8-9 games seeing how this same nucleus won 6 last season after starting 0-5. I honestly think it all rides on Alex. If he plays well and can manage the game clock, throwing a few t.d.'s that he's capable of, we will be alright. If Alex shows the same things we've seen from the past, it's time to start over. Still, the nucleus of this team is very talented.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
anyone still think kap isnt the #2 qb?

Kaep is the number 2 because he knows the offense. But as far as future #1? I think they are both about even as far as future possibility. Both are projects, giving the edge to Tolzien due to experience in a pro-style and playing under center.

even? hardly even imo. the niners took kap in the top of the 2nd rd for a reason. because they really like his potential and upside.he is the only player in ncaa history to throw for 10,000 yds and rush for 4,000 yds. kap has that elite talent that you just dont see every day. tolzien may look more comfortable now, because he played under center in college. but make no mistake about it. kap has a much higher ceiling then tolzien.

This is what people always say about higher draft picks -- higher upside -- and then occassionally a kid like Montana, Brady emerge. NOT COMPARING TOLZEIN to Montana or Brady, just saying. I like Kap's upside too, and the coaches clearly believed that in drafting him. But the real proof in upside isn't college stats, its who grasps and excels in the offensive scheme and become a Pro QB!

yeah thats some of it. but physical tools are also a big part of it. and kap has all the tools baby.
Great news to wake up to!!!!
The real question: will they let Tolzien wear #16?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Great news to wake up to!!!!

wake up? you lazy bum its 11:30 on the west coast
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM ]

GREAT signing. Kid looked SOLID in the game.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Totally agreed. He was throwing dimes all over the damn place lol
Originally posted by PTulini:
If any of you don't think this is a rebuilding year, you're kidding yourselves! I don't expect a playoff run this season. In fact, I think this offense will struggle until at lest mid-season. It will take time and patience.

With guys like Gore, VD, Braylon, and a no matter how you view Smith, I think we have a pretty decent shot. I agree that the offense will struggle but I think our defense is capable of keeping us in games. I think we could win 8-9 games seeing how this same nucleus won 6 last season after starting 0-5. I honestly think it all rides on Alex. If he plays well and can manage the game clock, throwing a few t.d.'s that he's capable of, we will be alright. If Alex shows the same things we've seen from the past, it's time to start over. Still, the nucleus of this team is very talented.

I agree. I'm just saying that I'm not getting m hopes up. In my opinion, everything rides on the offensive line being able to play well. They have to give the QB time to throw! I see us in the 6 to 9 wins range.
Originally posted by Method:

I think the bottom line is, better than Kap.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by Method:

I think the bottom line is, better than Kap.

Kap has a higher ceiling.

Tolzien has a more stable floor.
Share 49ersWebzone