LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
then why didn't he bring Troy Smith back? or try to offer the Lions a 7th round pick for Shaun Hill..lol.......or get Rattay out of retirement? Alex Smith has had SuperBowl winning Mike McCarthy as Coach, SuperBowl winning Mike Martz as a coach, and SuperBowl winning Norve Turner as a coach....its not like Alex has had scrubs all of his career. The front office has brought in these coaches...as well as players to surround him with who turned into Probowlers.

yall act like Alex has been playing for the old Browns or old Lions for most of his career or something.

You act as if having these coaches for ONE season made all the difference.Your argument would hold more weight if, say, Smith had one of those coaches his entire career and STILL sucked. But that's not the case. Countless commentators, sports writers, and coaches have said that having a different coordinator every...single...year is a detriment to ANY QB. So they're all "Alex fan boys?" C'mon man. Just admit that the problem with Alex Smith is BIGGER than Alex Smith. The 49ers completely f**ked up his development and now we have damaged goods. It is what it is.

LOL it's like telling a soldier he shouldn't have PTSS because, "well at one point you had a normal life right? So one year of battle and now you're all f**ked up? Pshhhh Iraqxcuses!"
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
so what you are saying is, its their ineptitude as head coaches that gives alex life still?

oh the irony is just massive on this one.
that "gave" Alex life still...passed tense....the rest is of course Alex's unwillingness to give up.

gives alex life, as in right now. if we had a proven offense with good coaches and smith played poorly then jh wouldnt have brought him back. its because jh knew how horrible the previous coaches and scheme were that he brought alex smith back. it wasnt hard for jh to see that alex could only do so much with what he had to work with.

then why didn't he bring Troy Smith back? or try to offer the Lions a 7th round pick for Shaun Hill..lol.......or get Rattay out of retirement? Alex Smith has had SuperBowl winning Mike McCarthy as Coach, SuperBowl winning Mike Martz as a coach, and SuperBowl winning Norve Turner as a coach....its not like Alex has had scrubs all of his career. The front office has brought in these coaches...as well as players to surround him with who turned into Probowlers.

yall act like Alex has been playing for the old Browns or old Lions for most of his career or something.

because he watched the tape on troy smith and didnt like what he saw. not to mention his brother coached him in balt and didnt like him either. thats why lol.... shaun hill is a career backup as is tim rattay. he can see this by watching the tape. he also can see that smith is a starting calibur qb and the best fa available this year. as far as turner and the others go, they were only here one year and every one ran a completely different style of offense and terminology. you act like just beause he had norv at OC he should already know how to play for martz. it doesnt work like that and its funny you bring up martz becaue alex didnt even play one game for martz. he was injured all year. you alex haters 9 out of 10 times dont have any idea what you guys are talking about and this just proves it. moving on now....

btw.... i dont know where you have been but the 49ers have been bottom dwellers like the browns and lions for some time now. the browns even made the playoffs a few years back.
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

You act as if having these coaches for ONE season made all the difference.Your argument would hold more weight if, say, Smith had one of those coaches his entire career and STILL sucked. But that's not the case. Countless commentators, sports writers, and coaches have said that having a different coordinator every...single...year is a detriment to ANY QB. So they're all "Alex fan boys?" C'mon man. Just admit that the problem with Alex Smith is BIGGER than Alex Smith. The 49ers completely f**ked up his development and now we have damaged goods. It is what it is.

LOL it's like telling a soldier he shouldn't have PTSS because, "well at one point you had a normal life right? So one year of battle and now you're all f**ked up? Pshhhh Iraqxcuses!"

you're not always going to be able to keep a good OC for more than one year if he is perused as top coach. So because they couldn't do that...they brought back Holster FOR Alex...Alex wanted it. They brought back Jimmy Raye FOR Alex..."just so he could have the same OC twice" whoopdy do.

eventually the QB is going to have to come through on his own...if he is a good QB, his natural ability should make the transition easier....on top of having good weapons around him.

also the only reason I brought up those former OC was because you would think he would have learned basic QBing from them...basic fundamentals...basic QBing mechanics....even if it were just one year with said coaches.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM ]
so what you are saying is, its their ineptitude as head coaches that gives alex life still?

oh the irony is just massive on this one.
that "gave" Alex life still...passed tense....the rest is of course Alex's unwillingness to give up.

gives alex life, as in right now. if we had a proven offense with good coaches and smith played poorly then jh wouldnt have brought him back. its because jh knew how horrible the previous coaches and scheme were that he brought alex smith back. it wasnt hard for jh to see that alex could only do so much with what he had to work with.

LOL. Come on! We haven't been much better. Pointing to Turner and Martz is pretty silly -- all had all-world starting casts when they made the Super Bowl. McCarthy's team we don't know yet as far as HOF status for guys, but.. still a VERY good team.

When Martz coached the Lions, he couldn't do anything with them. In St. Louis he coached Former All-Stars and/or Future Hall-of-Famers in Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Torry Holt, and an amazing OL featuring Orlando Pace, Adam Timmerman, Tom Nutten, and Andy McCollum.

Norv Turner coached a monster offense that featured Hall of Famers or Pro-Bowlers galore -- Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Emmitt Smith, Daryl Johnston, Jay Novacek, Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Erik Williams (four time pro bowler), and Mark Tuinei (two time All-Pro).

Alex Smith NEVER "had Martz" -- Smith's shoulder was sawed in half by a wire left over from surgery and was placed on IR that year. You can only argue he "had Turner" for one year. A year in which he was surrounded by a set of starters that featured Arnaz Battle and Antonio Bryant as starting receivers, and players like Kwame Harris (out of the league), Justin Smiley (out of the league), and Jonas Jennings (out of the league) on his offensive line. I'm not saying Alex is a good QB, but the "he failed under good coaching" argument is COMPLETELY invalid, based on the support just mentioned.

When was the last time our OL had a Pro-Bowler? When was the last time we had a pro bowl wide receiver? When was the last time we even had a 1000 yard receiver?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

you're not always going to be able to keep a good OC for more than one year if he is perused as top coach. So because they couldn't do that...they brought back Holster FOR Alex...Alex wanted it. They brought back Jimmy Raye FOR Alex..."just so he could have the same OC twice" whoopdy do.

eventually the QB is going to have to come through on his own...if he is a good QB, his natural ability should make the transition easier....on top of having good weapons around him.

also the only reason I brought up those former OC was because you would think he would have learned basic QBing from them...basic fundamentals...basic QBing mechanics....even if it were just one year with said coaches.

thats what you dont get... they all teach different techniques and mechanics. its starting all over again every year! and btw alex has never had the same OC for 2 seasons!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
LOL. Come on! We haven't been much better. Pointing to Turner and Martz is pretty silly -- all had all-world starting casts when they made the Super Bowl. McCarthy's team we don't know yet as far as HOF status for guys, but.. still a VERY good team.

When Martz coached the Lions, he couldn't do anything with them. In St. Louis he coached Former All-Stars and/or Future Hall-of-Famers in Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Torry Holt, and an amazing OL featuring Orlando Pace, Adam Timmerman, Tom Nutten, and Andy McCollum.

Norv Turner coached a monster offense that featured Hall of Famers or Pro-Bowlers galore -- Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Emmitt Smith, Daryl Johnston, Jay Novacek, Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Erik Williams (four time pro bowler), and Mark Tuinei (two time All-Pro).

Alex Smith NEVER "had Martz" -- Smith's shoulder was sawed in half by a wire left over from surgery and was placed on IR that year. You can only argue he "had Turner" for one year. A year in which he was surrounded by a set of starters that featured Arnaz Battle and Antonio Bryant as starting receivers, and players like Kwame Harris (out of the league), Justin Smiley (out of the league), and Jonas Jennings (out of the league) on his offensive line. I'm not saying Alex is a good QB, but the "he failed under good coaching" argument is COMPLETELY invalid, based on the support just mentioned.

When was the last time our OL had a Pro-Bowler? When was the last time we had a pro bowl wide receiver? When was the last time we even had a 1000 yard receiver?

very valid points. none of the coaches mentioned have ever built anything or proven they could win on their own. they only proved they could win with teams that were stacked. who couldnt do that? me or you could have called plays for the greatest show on turf and we would have looked like genius`s.

very valid points. none of the coaches mentioned have ever built anything or proven they could win on their own. they only proved they could win with teams that were stacked. who couldnt do that? me or you could have called plays for the greatest show on turf and we would have looked like genius`s.

I mean, looking at Dallas.. I see only ONE player that you could argue wasn't Pro-Bowl caliber. That's absolutely insane.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
This is coming from the poster with 41 of the posts in this thread, nearly double the next closest person.

Its called context genius. Get a life meaning stop defending a guy who has been horrible for 7 years. Try reading.

I mean, looking at Dallas.. I see only ONE player that you could argue wasn't Pro-Bowl caliber. That's absolutely insane.

reminds me of our niners of yester year. the 94 niners would beat any team ever assembled hands down.
thats what you dont get... they all teach different techniques and mechanics. its starting all over again every year! and btw alex has never had the same OC for 2 seasons!

Jimmy Raye. Don't you remember...ALL the Alex fanboys were saying it last year.... THIS IS ALEX LAST CHANCE! this is it....he has the weapons, a coach who backs him up, SO MUCH SO He traded a capable Backup QB for a 7th rd pick....so poor little Alex didn't have too look over his shoulder.

this is his last chance be patient....this is his last chance be patient....bla bla bla...I've heard it for years.

• Otter
  • Veteran

Jimmy Raye. Don't you remember...ALL the Alex fanboys were saying it last year.... THIS IS ALEX LAST CHANCE! this is it....he has the weapons, a coach who backs him up, SO MUCH SO He traded a capable Backup QB for a 7th rd pick....so poor little Alex didn't have too look over his shoulder.

this is his last chance be patient....this is his last chance be patient....bla bla bla...I've heard it for years.

Do you think you could phrase that differently. That sort of post generally leads to a negative inflammatory response.

jimmy raye who was fired by week 4? yeah i remember!!! they fired the OC for a reason and it wasnt alex smith.
Originally posted by Shaj:
ninefourniner is THE classiest guy in the zone. I don't have any problem with how he handled this or any of his other communications. I think he is a role model in this respect. He shows more refrain than just about anyone else around here.

I am shocked to say this twice in the same thread, but I totally agree with Shaj here. Pete was asking for it and got what he asked for, someone checked his profile and noticed he was banned. WTF did NFN do wrong?
Originally posted by Shaj:
this. And McCarthy was extremely lucky to get to work with who *should* have been the #1 overall pick, Rodgers, over in GB instead of watching his reputation as a coach go down the drain with Alex like roto-rooter. Alex is a coach killer.

Coaching has been the Alex Killer. Only coach Nolan probably lost his job because of Smith and that was for how he handled, or didn't handle the shoulder injury. But hey, who cares about that BS? This is 2011, and we have a real coaching staff now. Time to let go of your preconceptions and embrace the Harbaugh Era!
Originally posted by Otter:
Do you think you could phrase that differently. That sort of post generally leads to a negative inflammatory response.

I would have no problem...but i'm trying to think of a phrase that describes Alex's fans who blind fully defend him or bash others who criticize his play.

If I just said "Alex Fans" then I think that would not be fair to fans of Alex, but who do not put him before the team. And when Alex is playing behind center of my 9ers, well I'm an Alex fan as well.

now if I just posted "ALEX FANBOYS SUCK!!!!" or something else unoriginal or just immature...then I understand....but I can't think of any other term when referring to this particular fan base.

but I'll try to do my part.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone