LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you're not always going to be able to keep a good OC for more than one year if he is perused as top coach. So because they couldn't do that...they brought back Holster FOR Alex...Alex wanted it. They brought back Jimmy Raye FOR Alex..."just so he could have the same OC twice" whoopdy do.

Tha'ts not true. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, etc have all had the same coordinator or same offense for most, if not all, of their career.
eventually the QB is going to have to come through on his own...if he is a good QB, his natural ability should make the transition easier....on top of having good weapons around him.

Fair enough. But we KNEW when we drafted Alex that he was a guy that was going to succeed IF we did the OPPOSITE of what you just described. He needed a strong supporting cast, consistent coaching, and an offense that catered to his strength. His old coach said so more or less. So who is more of a bust? The QB that's trying to do something he can't or the organization that's been consistently trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? We all can more or less agree that Alex was never a true #1 pick QB. He's fortunate to get picked that high and at best...he SHOULD have gone (ironically) where Rodgers went (late 1st round) or early 2nd round @ BEST.

Also the only reason I brought up those former OC was because you would think he would have learned basic QBing from them...basic fundamentals...basic QBing mechanics....even if it were just one year with said coaches.

It's been documented (by mostly Alex unless he's lying, and Mike Johnson a little bit) that no one ever really worked on his mechanics with him. This is the first time we're seeing much improved mechanics and a coach that (can) actively teaches him better mechanics.

Look I'm not saying Alex is good or great but it really shouldn't even be a debate as to the reasons he's all f**ked up. Alex is EXACTLY who we thought he was (and who is coach said he was) back in 05.

When I go and recruit new people I make sure to match their skill set to certain managers. Those managers then make the call whether to match the noobs to certain area/branches/or clients. When we call the new employees references...we ask them to describe the new persons strengths, weaknesses and what helped them succeed. Now imagine taking that info...then doing the exact opposite...then blaming the employee for being unsuccessful. Sure a couple here and there will break through and shine/succeed either way but those are the EXCEPTION. Those guys are once in a blue moon. Alex isn't a "once in a bluemoon" employee/QB.

We can go back and forth on this all day and to a certain extent I do agree with you. I agree that you should "make it happen." But we all know that's just not a realistic expectation. The 49ers bungled the biggest investment they made. It's that easy.
Hello fellow 49er brethren,

I am the true Alex D. Smith. Ive been hiding in the background all these years reading all your incessant posts. I must say that it breaks my heart everytime you guys boo me. I will try my best to win your hearts this season. On gamedays, my cousin Chris will be using my ID to cheer me on.

I know deep down that I can become just like me hero, Joe Montana. Please fellow brethren, dont stop believing in me; and dont stop swinging from my....errr....nevermind.

See you around.
Originally posted by AlexDouglasSmith11:

I am the true Alex D. Smith. Ive been hiding in the background all these years reading all your incessant posts. I must say that it breaks my heart everytime you guys boo me. I will try my best to win your hearts this season. On gamedays, my cousin Chris will be using my ID to cheer me on.

I know deep down that I can become just like me hero, Joe Montana. Please fellow brethren, dont stop believing in me; and dont stop swinging from my....errr....nevermind.

See you around.

haha wtf
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
alex supporters

still not fair to Alex supporters....I mean who would not want Alex to succeed in the long run, if you are a true fan of the 9ers....I just think it is too general of a statement.

I'm not trying to insult anyone but " Alexsexuals" is the funniest.

The first use of that resulted in a banning. I suggest it not be used.

True. I wouldn't use it but just commenting how funny the word it.
I just realized that the list of starting QBs in this league with more tenure with their organization than Alex is a short and prestigious one.

-Peyton Manning
-Tom Brady
-Phillip Rivers
-Eli Manning
-Ben Roethlisberger
-David Garrard (although I'm not sure if Gabbert is starting instead)

Guys that have been with a team just as long...

-Drew Brees
-Aaron Rogers
-Tony Romo

That's depressing.
Originally posted by AlexDouglasSmith11:

See you around.

There is something different about this season. Alex won the QB battle. I believe this is the first time he did this. Maybe he just might have a decent...
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
I know how it works. I'm talking about your actions prior to the ban.

I'm saying instead of talking s**t to the guy on this board for everyone to see, a PM would be more professional.

This is what your said to him:

"The context is pretty clear: You posting 41 times in this thread belittling and calling out other posters who disagree with you. That's the context."
"This is coming from the poster with 41 of the posts in this thread, nearly double the next closest person." "Also, try punctuation, genius."

You don't think a PM would have been a better way to handle that? Instead you called em out and sarcastically called him a genius and that he should try punctuation. As a mod, antagonizing and belittling another poster regardless of that poster's actions is not professional.
This.

With some posters, the nice guy approach does not work.

Have you any idea how many informal "heads up" PMs were sent to this poster?
Alex is on my sh** list But I'm a 9er last chances .......................IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I'm saying instead of talking s**t to the guy on this board for everyone to see, a PM would be more professional.

"The context is pretty clear: You posting 41 times in this thread belittling and calling out other posters who disagree with you. That's the context."
"This is coming from the poster with 41 of the posts in this thread, nearly double the next closest person." "Also, try punctuation, genius."

You don't think a PM would have been a better way to handle that? Instead you called em out and sarcastically called him a genius and that he should try punctuation. As a mod, antagonizing and belittling another poster regardless of that poster's actions is not professional.
This.

You're supposed to let everyone know when you're handling something privately, or else you'll be criticized for not handling things privately.

Originally posted by Shaj:
this. And McCarthy was extremely lucky to get to work with who *should* have been the #1 overall pick, Rodgers, over in GB instead of watching his reputation as a coach go down the drain with Alex like roto-rooter. Alex is a coach killer.

It's ironic that McCarthy preferred Smith over Rodgers in 2005 when he was on the 49er staff.
Originally posted by fister30:
There is something different about this season. Alex won the QB battle. I believe this is the first time he did this. Maybe he just might have a decent...

sarcasm? (I hope)
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

This.

You're supposed to let everyone know when you're handling something privately, or else you'll be criticized for not handling things privately.

The word "thankless" comes to mind.

This is why I will never go into politics. Well, that and....other things.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

sarcasm? (I hope)

I won it fair and square. Give me a chance. I will prove myself to you, and your ilk. Duggy (thats what my mom used to call me) will rise to the challenge.

Pray for me.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

sarcasm? (I hope)

My intent was that Alex may have a decent season. I don't know how this post was coming across. It seems like there is something different in the air about this season. Alex might have a decent season i.e. wins/stats
Share 49ersWebzone