LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 176 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
this. And McCarthy was extremely lucky to get to work with who *should* have been the #1 overall pick, Rodgers, over in GB instead of watching his reputation as a coach go down the drain with Alex like roto-rooter. Alex is a coach killer.

But consider the coaches he "killed." Not exactly Walsh and Lombardi there. It was really more like pulling the plug on an unresponsive terminal patient.
Originally posted by dj43:
Looking back at what Smith had to go through with Nolan, it is unbelievable that he is still even a football player.

I don't think it would be stretching the truth to say that I have been one of the more consistent supporters of Smith from the standpoint of looking at how handicapped he was by poor coaching. Now, every time I recall some of the things he went through, like a surgical procedure gone wrong, it only makes me hope all the more that he does well after all of this. I have just seen so many players that have struggled come back to do well once they get good coaching that it is thrilling to see a performance like he put on last night. It was not all that far from the way Montana would have performed in similar circumstances...and I don't throw that around loosely.

Like I said before: Alex Smith is Joe Montana.
richmond pete was a trouble maker and that guy pissed me off a few times in my brief stay here.... glad he is gone personally.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
richmond pete was a trouble maker and that guy pissed me off a few times in my brief stay here.... glad he is gone personally.
I can understand that.

FWIW, I think that he contributed positively to the Zone to a large degree. He made good arguments and, mostly, refrained from attacks.

However, in the end the pro and con Alex Smith hysteria claimed another victim.
Originally posted by Otter:
this. And McCarthy was extremely lucky to get to work with who *should* have been the #1 overall pick, Rodgers, over in GB instead of watching his reputation as a coach go down the drain with Alex like roto-rooter. Alex is a coach killer.

But consider the coaches he "killed." Not exactly Walsh and Lombardi there. It was really more like pulling the plug on an unresponsive terminal patient.

he killed two geniuses in nolan and singletary.
Back on topic: Clayton's rankings, overall, are crap. However, he is in the right ballpark with A. Smith. That said, who gives a $#&$&? Let's let the performance on the field dictate.....and hope that Smith has his best year.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Back on topic: Clayton's rankings, overall, are crap. However, he is in the right ballpark with A. Smith. That said, who gives a $#&$&? Let's let the performance on the field dictate.....and hope that Smith has his best year.

+1

We all hope Smith has his best year, like him or not this season rides on his shoulders. I hope he does well in the WCO, but it's going to come down to Alex making the right reads, the receivers getting open and catching the pass, and the line providing some protection. This team has the pieces to compete, just lack experience together as a unit.

but it can go both ways....I mean, I still believe Alex starting NFL career prolonged longer than most QBs because of Alex Fanboys Nolan and Singletary.

the thing with Alex is, although he might not be horrible, it is tough to work your way back in this league to the starting level. If we had other coaches instead of Nolan/Sing...and they chose to move on sooner...well then Alex would have had to try to fight for a backup role on some other team, early in his troubled career...not after 7 years of *experience*. And with Alex known to need to have almost everything run perfect to look decent...well when you are a backup trying to win a job, not everything is going to go perfect with other backup receivers, RBs and lineman you would have to rely on.

so for as much crap that Alex Fanboys like to give Nolan and Sing...it was because of them that Alex most likely still has one last chance with a QB guru in Harbuagh.
so what you are saying is, its their ineptitude as head coaches that gives alex life still?

oh the irony is just massive on this one.
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM ]

Saying Alex "killed" the coaches is pretty unfair, in my opinion. Nolan and Sing "killed" themselves. These coaches' mottos were "stay the course" despite constant failure when they did not adjust. Neither opted to make in-game adjustments or post-game adjustments the following week in practice.
so what you are saying is, its their ineptitude as head coaches that gives alex life still?

that "gave" Alex life still...passed tense....the rest is of course Alex's unwillingness to give up.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that "gave" Alex life still...passed tense....the rest is of course Alex's unwillingness to give up.

gives alex life, as in right now. if we had a proven offense with good coaches and smith played poorly then jh wouldnt have brought him back. its because jh knew how horrible the previous coaches and scheme were that he brought alex smith back. it wasnt hard for jh to see that alex could only do so much with what he had to work with.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

As for publically announcing it....this is a public fan forum. By nature this is considered publication every type we post on here.

And YOU CAN "help it" if other members noticed his banning...its called a PM.

You appear to not understand how this works.

When a member is banned, they are notified via PM. Typically, the mod staff does not post, "ATTENTION: MEMBER SO-AND-SO HAS BEEN BANNED." In this case, procedure was followed - the member was banned with no announcement. If, thereafter, any other member checked that member's page and saw that member was banned, the staff cannot prevent that, nor is there any reason to.

Explain to me how a PM will "help" others noticing that someone is banned?
I know how it works. I'm talking about your actions prior to the ban.

I'm saying instead of talking s**t to the guy on this board for everyone to see, a PM would be more professional.

This is what your said to him:

"The context is pretty clear: You posting 41 times in this thread belittling and calling out other posters who disagree with you. That's the context."
"This is coming from the poster with 41 of the posts in this thread, nearly double the next closest person." "Also, try punctuation, genius."

You don't think a PM would have been a better way to handle that? Instead you called em out and sarcastically called him a genius and that he should try punctuation. As a mod, antagonizing and belittling another poster regardless of that poster's actions is not professional.

On the other hand, doing things the way he did reinforces that that kind of behavior is not tolerated.

Often times an obvious demonstration of what is not tolerated will prevent further problems. Sometimes it is just better to make an example of someone who is walking on both sides of the line rather than trying to coddle them back to the safe side. After all, being here is not at "right."

I can dig it. Setting an example is definitely a plus of doing it like that.

But it would be better to set and example on how to handle jackasses on here without resorting to calling out someones grammar.

A simple , "please do not antagonize people who disagree with your opinion," or "please do not say f**k the mods" would have worked.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

gives alex life, as in right now. if we had a proven offense with good coaches and smith played poorly then jh wouldnt have brought him back. its because jh knew how horrible the previous coaches and scheme were that he brought alex smith back. it wasnt hard for jh to see that alex could only do so much with what he had to work with.

then why didn't he bring Troy Smith back? or try to offer the Lions a 7th round pick for Shaun Hill..lol.......or get Rattay out of retirement? Alex Smith has had SuperBowl winning Mike McCarthy as Coach, SuperBowl winning Mike Martz as a coach, and SuperBowl winning Norve Turner as a coach....its not like Alex has had scrubs all of his career. The front office has brought in these coaches...as well as players to surround him with who turned into Probowlers.

yall act like Alex has been playing for the old Browns or old Lions for most of his career or something.
Share 49ersWebzone