LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 411 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Johnster:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
You misquoted a point - Clayton says "Arrow is pointing: flat"

The "down" reference is to QB #27 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

A little nit picky, sounds Like NineFurNiner is in the camp that believes that Alex Smith just needs one more year...

Not nit-picky: Accurate. OP admitted that it was an innocent mistake:

Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Actually, Arrow is pointing Flat... Which makes more sence because he didn't do much last year.

"28. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers
Analysis: 49ers fans are getting the seven-year itch for a new quarterback. It's been seven years, seven offensive coordinators, 19 victories and no playoffs during the Smith years in San Francisco.
Arrow is pointing: flat"
Yeah you're right I read that wrong. Either way it's not a promising analysis.

And please don't (a) make assumptions about me or (b) intentionally mis-state my user name for the purpose of trolling/stirring the pot.

Thanks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
That playoff win, although I give Hasselbeck credit from returning from the back injury to do a solid job "managing" the game, I think most credit goes to their defense and running game (Marshawn Lynch) and their raucous fans in Seattle for winning that game.

Hasselbeck has done just about nothing in three years, and one good game against the Saints isn't going to change that fact. Arguing that Hasselbeck is better than Smith now, based on what he did four years ago, is asinine. Smith isn't great, but I'd take him over Hasselbeck in a heartbeat right now. Henne too. He's garbage. Very good OL and Brandon Marshall to throw too and he's done nothing.
I see what you mean. I was just giving you what I think Clayton's reasons for ranking Hasselbeck higher than Smith. I don't necessarily agree with it.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.

What constitutes a logical fan? Furthermore how do you know this? Have you conducted a poll? Alex Smith has shown nothing to prove he is more than a garbage starter.

Oh, believe me, the majority of fans would've rather had someone else than him. Even if it's not Alex. See poll: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/151330-would-satisfied-could-get-hasselbeck-pick-1st-round/search=hasselbeck

Also see virtually all the comments regarding Hasselbeck in the following thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/149860-matt-hasselbeck-still-nfl-quality/search=hasselbeck

He was not wanted here, over Smith, or over just about anyone for that matter, by the majority of fans here.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I think Campbell, Henne, and Hasselbeck are too high. Not sure I buy putting Josh Freeman into the elite category. In fact, I think the "elite" category is a little watered down.

Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I disagree with the rating. It's lower than it should be, but until Smith starts winning he shouldn't be much higher than the 20's, and I can agree on that. Henne and Hasselbeck should be lower than Smith - see support below.

Smith's stats
2010: 11 games, 60% completion, 2370 yards, 14 TD, 10 INT, 4 fumbles (2 lost)
2009: 11 games, 60% completion, 2350 yards, 18 TD, 12 INT, 3 fumbles (1 lost)

Hasselbeck
2010: 14 games, 60% completion, 3001 yards, 12 TD and 17 INT, 7 fumbles (5 lost)
2009: 14 games, 60% completion, 3029 yards, 17 TD and 17 INT, 11 fumbles (3 lost)
2008: 7 games, 52% completion, 1216 yards, 5 TD and 10 INT, 1 fumble

Henne
2010: 15 games, 61% completion, 3301 yards, 15 TD and 19 INT, 5 fumbles (2 lost)
2009: 14 games, 61% completion, 2878 yards, 12 TD and 14 INT, 4 fumbles
I agree about Henne but I think with Hasselbeck they are looking at his body of work over his career and the playoff win against the Saints last year.

That playoff win, although I give Hasselbeck credit from returning from the back injury to do a solid job "managing" the game, I think most credit goes to their defense and running game (Marshawn Lynch) and their raucous fans in Seattle for winning that game.

Hasselbeck has done just about nothing in three years, and one good game against the Saints isn't going to change that fact. Arguing that Hasselbeck is better than Smith now, based on what he did four years ago, is asinine. Smith isn't great, but I'd take him over Hasselbeck in a heartbeat right now. Henne too. He's garbage. Very good OL and Brandon Marshall to throw too and he's done nothing.

Thank you. I don't know why (well I do) zoners are so high on Hasselbeck. He was a great QB who is now just old and beat up to be honest. Maybe he'll breathe new life in TEN but could you imagine Matt behind OUR o-line? That FIRST sack against the Saints would have put him out of commission for the year.

And did you see him play against us late last season? The bone headed mistakes he was making was unreal. Alex has played better against Seahawks in the last couple years then Hasselbeck against us. That doesn't mean Alex is better...all it means is that Hasselbeck isn't "CLEARLY" a better option.

I want to agree; but, Jim H did push for us to sign Hasselbeck

Well yeah I mean he's well versed in the offense but (and this isn't necessarily a good/bad thing) Alex is younger and can take the hits. Hass is seriously one or two major hits away from ending his career.

Rewatch the game from last year when we killed the 'Hawks. Hass made some of the dumbest throws imaginable...dare I say...rookie year Alex Smith type throws. That INT to Goldson was retarded. 3 years ago Hass doesn't throw that. The other pick was terrible as well.

To quote Brian Billick from that game after the pick: "I don't know if that's being stubborn or just plain stupid."

Again...I'm not trying to trash Hasselbeck as a QB. He obviously has a better career than Alex but there's no denying the HIGH possibility of him being injured by now or being injured very shortly had he come here. You also can't deny that, statistically, Alex, or even Shaun Hill, have done better than Matt in the last 3 years. He's just not the same guy.
the list is strange, really. any list like this is subjective, of course, but is Sam Bradford better right now than Kyle Orton? IDK.

as far as Smith is concerned, the highest you could really put him is probably 25, but I wouldn't argue with 28 until he plays an entire season at a consistent level.
Oh, believe me, the majority of fans would've rather had someone else than him. Even if it's not Alex. See poll: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/151330-would-satisfied-could-get-hasselbeck-pick-1st-round/search=hasselbeck

Also see virtually all the comments regarding Hasselbeck in the following thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/149860-matt-hasselbeck-still-nfl-quality/search=hasselbeck

He was not wanted here, over Smith, or over just about anyone for that matter, by the majority of fans here.

49er fans dont want hasslebeck because Hasslebeck sucks too and hes a douche. This proves nothing other than they both suck. Alex Smith is not better than Chad Henne or Hasslebeck until he starts looking impressive in WINS.

By your response you are also assuming that the majority of people posting in these forums are logical, which in turn proves you are illogical because that is obviously not at all the case.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM ]
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

You shouldn't because the stats lie in this case.

Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.

Doubtful. Henne has a good short passing game and a nice deep ball. What he lacks is experience. Smith just doesnt have good short passing accuracy like Henne. He does have good accuracy deep when he goes there. Everything else is below average with Smith.

And please don't (a) make assumptions about me or (b) intentionally mis-state my user name for the purpose of trolling/stirring the pot.

Thanks.

NINEFOURNINER, I must assume that you are either (a) Seriously PMSing right now or, (b) Alex Smith.

BTW, Alex Smith (or you?, see option (b) above) sucks. Just admit it.
[ Edited by Johnster on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:18 PM ]
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Doubtful. Henne has a good short passing game and a nice deep ball. What he lacks is experience. Smith just doesnt have good short passing accuracy like Henne. He does have good accuracy deep when he goes there. Everything else is below average with Smith.

Good deep accuracy? No.
Originally posted by Johnster:

Thanks.

NINEFOURNINER, I must assume that you are either (a) Seriously PMSing right now or, (b) Alex Smith.

BTW, Alex Smith sucks. Just admit it.

I don't know who you think you are but coming on here and insulting a mod is probably not the smartest idea.

I don't know who you think you are but coming on here and insulting a mod is probably not the smartest idea.

f**k the mods

What MODs give, they must also be able to take. I have only stated the obvious.
an Alex Smith thread 'bout to claim another victim...
I disagree with the rating. It's lower than it should be, but until Smith starts winning he shouldn't be much higher than the 20's, and I can agree on that. Henne and Hasselbeck should be lower than Smith - see support below.

Smith's stats
2010: 11 games, 60% completion, 2370 yards, 14 TD, 10 INT, 4 fumbles (2 lost)
2009: 11 games, 60% completion, 2350 yards, 18 TD, 12 INT, 3 fumbles (1 lost)

Hasselbeck
2010: 14 games, 60% completion, 3001 yards, 12 TD and 17 INT, 7 fumbles (5 lost)
2009: 14 games, 60% completion, 3029 yards, 17 TD and 17 INT, 11 fumbles (3 lost)
2008: 7 games, 52% completion, 1216 yards, 5 TD and 10 INT, 1 fumble

Henne
2010: 15 games, 61% completion, 3301 yards, 15 TD and 19 INT, 5 fumbles (2 lost)
2009: 14 games, 61% completion, 2878 yards, 12 TD and 14 INT, 4 fumbles
I agree about Henne but I think with Hasselbeck they are looking at his body of work over his career and the playoff win against the Saints last year.

after all these years its the same Alex fanboys, STILL trying to discredit other QBs who are better than Alex...BUT apparently praise boy wonder.

SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT ALEX IS THE REASON WE WON MOST OF THOSE 19 GAMES????? BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO GIVE HASSELBECK HIS DUE FOR THAT WIN. THAT WIN AGAINST THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPS?...but only credit for returning from injury?

You say that it was the running game and good defense that should get the credit for that playoff win.....yet it has been Frank Gore and our Defense that have contributed to this team WAY more than what Alex has ever done. ALEX SMITH HAS HELD THIS TEAM BACK! You can ignore it...you can blame the Oline...you can blame the coaches....the GM...or the footballs for being too slippery....but I think most non-delusional 9er fans know Alex is the main reason for our struggles.

Frank Gore is a WAY better RB than Alex is a QB
Vernon Davis is a WAY better TE than Alex is a QB
heck Josh Morgan is a better WR than Alex is a QB
and the list can go on.

These offensive players were able to produce with Shaun Hill at QB.....but tell me if we didn't have Frank Gore and Vernon and others...if it was Alex with other average players, tell me we would get the same production. WE WOULD NOT.
f**k the mods

Share 49ersWebzone