LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In all fairness Alex should have plenty of motivation to play well this year. Personally I would not want to play at any place that boos come with any wrong or seemingly wrong doing. Every incomplete pass, tipped ball, late pass, earthquake or flash flood the people will boo alex this year until he produces a winning product despite the play of the defense or o line.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by susweel:
Sounds about right.

Anybody who thinks differently is delusional.

I disagree with the rating. It's lower than it should be, but until Smith starts winning he shouldn't be much higher than the 20's, and I can agree on that. Henne and Hasselbeck should be lower than Smith - see support below.

Smith's stats
2010: 11 games, 60% completion, 2370 yards, 14 TD, 10 INT, 4 fumbles (2 lost)
2009: 11 games, 60% completion, 2350 yards, 18 TD, 12 INT, 3 fumbles (1 lost)

Hasselbeck
2010: 14 games, 60% completion, 3001 yards, 12 TD and 17 INT, 7 fumbles (5 lost)
2009: 14 games, 60% completion, 3029 yards, 17 TD and 17 INT, 11 fumbles (3 lost)
2008: 7 games, 52% completion, 1216 yards, 5 TD and 10 INT, 1 fumble

Henne
2010: 15 games, 61% completion, 3301 yards, 15 TD and 19 INT, 5 fumbles (2 lost)
2009: 14 games, 61% completion, 2878 yards, 12 TD and 14 INT, 4 fumbles

Dude John Clayton is an expert and does this for a living. He has seen these QBs from the time they were in college and NFL practices. He knows who can play and who cant.

Also compiling stats when your down 21 points and playing against a prevent defense dont mean really mean jack s**t.
I disagree with the rating. It's lower than it should be, but until Smith starts winning he shouldn't be much higher than the 20's, and I can agree on that. Henne and Hasselbeck should be lower than Smith - see support below.

Smith's stats

Hasselbeck
2010: 14 games, 60% completion, 3001 yards, 12 TD and 17 INT, 7 fumbles (5 lost)
2009: 14 games, 60% completion, 3029 yards, 17 TD and 17 INT, 11 fumbles (3 lost)

Henne
2010: 15 games, 61% completion, 3301 yards, 15 TD and 19 INT, 5 fumbles (2 lost)
I agree about Henne but I think with Hasselbeck they are looking at his body of work over his career and the playoff win against the Saints last year.
Great another Alex bashing thread, which the Alexexusers hate so much. I love em cause I absolutely have grown to hate this waste of a number one overall pick...

I love the fact that Harbaugh is our head coach, and do have faith in him, but I think he messed up in thinking he could cure the Alex Smith virus.
  • Jiks
Cool! Now what's any of this breaking news gonna change? Nothing...

I'm sure our Oline and recieving core would be top 5 if somebody would do that as well, not to mention our great secondary, and amazing special teams. Those would be right there at the top of the league...
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Actually, Arrow is pointing Flat... Which makes more sence because he didn't do much last year.

"28. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers
Analysis: 49ers fans are getting the seven-year itch for a new quarterback. It's been seven years, seven offensive coordinators, 19 victories and no playoffs during the Smith years in San Francisco.
Arrow is pointing: flat"
Yeah you're right I read that wrong. Either way it's not a promising analysis.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
You misquoted a point - Clayton says "Arrow is pointing: flat"

The "down" reference is to QB #27 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

A little nit picky, sounds Like NineFurNiner is in the camp that believes that Alex Smith just needs one more year...
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Cool! Now what's any of this breaking news gonna change? Nothing...

I'm sure our Oline and recieving core would be top 5 if somebody would do that as well, not to mention our great secondary, and amazing special teams. Those would be right there at the top of the league...

I'm looking for those rankings as we speak!
Originally posted by JustaFan45:

Smith's stats

Hasselbeck

Henne
I agree about Henne but I think with Hasselbeck they are looking at his body of work over his career and the playoff win against the Saints last year.

That playoff win, although I give Hasselbeck credit from returning from the back injury to do a solid job "managing" the game, I think most credit goes to their defense and running game (Marshawn Lynch) and their raucous fans in Seattle for winning that game.

Hasselbeck has done just about nothing in three years, and one good game against the Saints isn't going to change that fact. Arguing that Hasselbeck is better than Smith now, based on what he did four years ago, is asinine. Smith isn't great, but I'd take him over Hasselbeck in a heartbeat right now. Henne too. He's garbage. Very good OL and Brandon Marshall to throw too and he's done nothing.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:56 PM ]
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

You shouldn't because the stats lie in this case.

Originally posted by RichmondPete:
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

You shouldn't because the stats lie in this case.

Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.
Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.

What constitutes a logical fan? Furthermore how do you know this? Have you conducted a poll? Alex Smith has shown nothing to prove he is more than a garbage starter.
I think Campbell, Henne, and Hasselbeck are too high. Not sure I buy putting Josh Freeman into the elite category. In fact, I think the "elite" category is a little watered down.

Smith's stats

Hasselbeck

Henne

That playoff win, although I give Hasselbeck credit from returning from the back injury to do a solid job "managing" the game, I think most credit goes to their defense and running game (Marshawn Lynch) and their raucous fans in Seattle for winning that game.

Hasselbeck has done just about nothing in three years, and one good game against the Saints isn't going to change that fact. Arguing that Hasselbeck is better than Smith now, based on what he did four years ago, is asinine. Smith isn't great, but I'd take him over Hasselbeck in a heartbeat right now. Henne too. He's garbage. Very good OL and Brandon Marshall to throw too and he's done nothing.

Thank you. I don't know why (well I do) zoners are so high on Hasselbeck. He was a great QB who is now just old and beat up to be honest. Maybe he'll breathe new life in TEN but could you imagine Matt behind OUR o-line? That FIRST sack against the Saints would have put him out of commission for the year.

And did you see him play against us late last season? The bone headed mistakes he was making was unreal. Alex has played better against Seahawks in the last couple years then Hasselbeck against us. That doesn't mean Alex is better...all it means is that Hasselbeck isn't "CLEARLY" a better option.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Smith's stats

Hasselbeck

Henne

Thank you. I don't know why (well I do) zoners are so high on Hasselbeck. He was a great QB who is now just old and beat up to be honest. Maybe he'll breathe new life in TEN but could you imagine Matt behind OUR o-line? That FIRST sack against the Saints would have put him out of commission for the year.

And did you see him play against us late last season? The bone headed mistakes he was making was unreal. Alex has played better against Seahawks in the last couple years then Hasselbeck against us. That doesn't mean Alex is better...all it means is that Hasselbeck isn't "CLEARLY" a better option.

I want to agree; but, Jim H did push for us to sign Hasselbeck
Share 49ersWebzone