There are 273 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
You don't compare Alex to a proven player like Hasselbeck with stats. You compare them this way:

If Hasselbeck were on this team, who would be the starter, Alex or Matt?

That's why he's ranked higher.

That's a surface level way to look at it. It wouldn't be a smart decision IMO to start Hass over Alex. I'd rather let Kaep start to be honest or we should have signed/drafted someone who was READY to play day 1 and could be at least a HEALTHY stop gap (Carson Palmer) or a long term solution (Gabbert).

LOL and why can't we compare their stats? Smith's done better over the last 3 years and has done better against the Seahawks. I guarantee if the numbers were reversed you'd be using them all day. C'mon Joe.

Again...I'm not arguing who's the better QB or who would start..I'm talking strictly from a business POV as far as who's the better solutions right at this time? Hass is old, slow, and is clearly on the decline. Smith is still young, somewhat mobile, statistically on the incline (snails pace I know), but he's Alex.

Kinda hard to win with either IMO. I wish we made a bigger push for Carson.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's not great. But I don't think he is that bad either. He's improved the last few years. I'd put him around 15 - 20 range. He's about "mid-league."

Wow the league must really f**king suck right now if Alex Smith is mid league. Kyle Orton is a mid league QB. Alex Smith is one of the very worst starters in the NFL. Name 5 who are worse.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
That's a surface level way to look at it. It wouldn't be a smart decision IMO to start Hass over Alex. I'd rather let Kaep start to be honest or we should have signed/drafted someone who was READY to play day 1 and could be at least a HEALTHY stop gap (Carson Palmer) or a long term solution (Gabbert).

LOL and why can't we compare their stats? Smith's done better over the last 3 years and has done better against the Seahawks. I guarantee if the numbers were reversed you'd be using them all day. C'mon Joe.

Again...I'm not arguing who's the better QB or who would start..I'm talking strictly from a business POV as far as who's the better solutions right at this time? Hass is old, slow, and is clearly on the decline. Smith is still young, somewhat mobile, statistically on the incline (snails pace I know), but he's Alex.

Kinda hard to win with either IMO. I wish we made a bigger push for Carson.

Stats lie. Alex Smith is the proof you should need to accept this. Hasseback won a playoff game last year.
Until he gives the stank eye to one of his linemen for getting crushed no one is going to respect him. He has got to stop being so nice to everyone. Kick some a$$ and take some names! He needs more pi$$ n vinegar in his veins.
Originally posted by Johnster:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't know who you think you are but coming on here and insulting a mod is probably not the smartest idea.

What MODs give, they must also be able to take. I have only stated the obvious.

Nope. You did more than that. Enjoy.
Clayton is a turd. Smith hasn't played 7 seasons of football, so the 19 win stat is a bit misleading to say the least.
Sounds right until he can prove otherwise by producing wins
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
I'm starting to think this thread I've started will not last long! Should of known better!

If mods just shut down threads because of something like that then this is not a real forum

Then perhaps you should go somewhere else. Intelligent debate is welcome. Re-hashing the same tired arguments, personal attacks, and insulting the mods are not.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
He's not great. But I don't think he is that bad either. He's improved the last few years. I'd put him around 15 - 20 range. He's about "mid-league."

Wow the league must really f**king suck right now if Alex Smith is mid league. Kyle Orton is a mid league QB. Alex Smith is one of the very worst starters in the NFL. Name 5 who are worse.
He's not as bad as he used to be. What did he have a QB rating in the 80's? That's not that bad. They are going more off the past. He's a mid tier guy at this point.

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Clayton is a turd. Smith hasn't played 7 seasons of football, so the 19 win stat is a bit misleading to say the least.

He missed 2 + seasons to injuries. And he wasn't always the starter in certain stretches of games for certain years. So yes the 19 wins is very, very misleading.

damn, that's extremely generous--especially from you!

I am certainly not a Smith Hater, but even I couldn't justify putting him above, maybe 23, being extremely generous. In that scenario you'd have to drop Henne, Hasselbeck, Garrard, Campbell, and Fitzpatrick. And I guess you could make an argument for dropping those guys, and maybe even McCoy, just because of the small sample size.
How the f**k is Brady or Manning rated higher than Alex. Worst rankings I have ever seen.
  • Jiks
Valrod>John Clayton... .. .
He's not as bad as he used to be. What did he have a QB rating in the 80's? That's not that bad. They are going more off the past. He's a mid tier guy at this point.

He is definitly not a "mid-tier" guy. QBR is a flawed statistic and is only useful if your QB is practically efficient. Losers with a "mid-teir" QBR are still losers, and Alex Smith is without a doubt a loser so far.

Lets put it this way, Alex Smith comes into 2010 supposedly primed for a breakout campaign. Coaching continuity, has playmakers on offense, drafted for the olin. He goes 1-5 to start the season.

Conversely, Troy Smith - a well recognized scrub - goes 3 and 2 with the same team, without any offseason.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone