LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by susweel:
Analysis: 49ers fans are getting the seven-year itch for a new quarterback. It's been seven years, seven offensive coordinators, 19 victories and no playoffs during the Smith years in San Francisco.

damn not thats just truly sad

and still people are making excuses for this loser.

There is no chance of another FA QB coming in at this point of the season. Alex can play well enough for the niners to be successful. This team will live and die by what their defense can do.

That is highly debatable because its never happened yet in his career.

Alex Smith has shown on multiple occasions that when given time to actually throw the ball he can and will be successful. It also helps to not have his hands tied behind his back in terms of an OC and HC.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
The regular season can't come fast enough.

Amen!
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I think Campbell, Henne, and Hasselbeck are too high. Not sure I buy putting Josh Freeman into the elite category. In fact, I think the "elite" category is a little watered down.

I also question putting Eli and Flacco in elite as well.

Also, flatly stating Bradford is the "next elite" QB is a reach. He hit a wall as soon as opponents figured out what a small playbook he was given. He may turn out out to be elite but he didn't come close to justifying that claim last season.

I also question McCoy's ranking. He may benefit from having Shurmur as his HC in much the same way Bradford benefitted from him last year but that is all speculation.
Except he's on a one year deal so...

I thought it was a 2 year deal??

Edit: nope found it, 1/5 mil
[ Edited by Leathaface on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:42 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

You shouldn't because the stats lie in this case.

Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.

Doubtful. Henne has a good short passing game and a nice deep ball. What he lacks is experience. Smith just doesnt have good short passing accuracy like Henne. He does have good accuracy deep when he goes there. Everything else is below average with Smith.

I watched him play four games last year and I saw none of the skills you cite. In fact, in two of those games he was replaced due to ineffectiveness. Miami would love to have an upgrade.
[ Edited by dj43 on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:53 PM ]
The Miami fans that I know sure don't think that Henne is better.

They say they would love to have Alex in Miami and would welcome him with open arms...I don't blame them, Henne is horrible.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
I find it somewhat humorous that Hasselbeck and Henne, despite both being statistically outplayed by Smith the past few years, are ahead on that list.

You shouldn't because the stats lie in this case.

Most logical fans if you held a vote would take Alex over Henne in a landslide.

Doubtful. Henne has a good short passing game and a nice deep ball. What he lacks is experience. Smith just doesnt have good short passing accuracy like Henne. He does have good accuracy deep when he goes there. Everything else is below average with Smith.

I watched him play four games last year and I saw none of the skills you cite. In fact, in two of those games he was replaced due to ineffectiveness. Miami would love to have an upgrade.

Gee whiz. I understand the disdain towards Alex, but making stuff up is unnecessary. Henne is terrible. Hasselbeck at this stage in his career is terrible. Alex is not good either. I am appalled that people are getting so angry about this topic. Some have suggested Hasselbeck and Henne should be a bit lower due to their recent ineffectiveness, only to be met with shrieks of horror and hostility.

Originally posted by 4T9errr:
The Miami fans that I know sure don't think that Henne is better.

They say they would love to have Alex in Miami and would welcome him with open arms...I don't blame them, Henne is horrible.

This is an enormous support to the notion that Henne should be lower. But nevermind that. There's no reason to fight over a few spots difference in a meaningless ESPN article by Clayton.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:57 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by niners94:
I can see the excuses next offseason.

"It was his first year under harbaugh's complicated offense.
He will be great next year. Remember what his college coach said?"

"the offensive line was the reason for his mistakes"

"just look how crappy his WRs are"

He's gone if he sucks. No more excuses.

Hmm heard a lot of that talk last year

I'm hearing it this year too. Trust me, when Smith stinks up the joint, the alexcuses will come rolling in. They already have in thread debates this past week.
The regular season can't come fast enough.

++
Originally posted by Johnster:
28 who the hell is below him? Rookies?

Actual excerpt:

27. Curtis Painter

28. Alex Smith

29. Colin Kapernick

30. Terell Pryor

31. Your local pop warner QB

32. Ryan Vogelsong

I just spit my margarita up on the computer screen. Damn you!

I was hoping Smith would have been off the team this year so these threads would stop
had way better oc's wr's and most importantly ol's
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by niners94:
I can see the excuses next offseason.

"It was his first year under harbaugh's complicated offense.
He will be great next year. Remember what his college coach said?"

"the offensive line was the reason for his mistakes"

"just look how crappy his WRs are"

He's gone if he sucks. No more excuses.

Hmm heard a lot of that talk last year

I'm hearing it this year too. Trust me, when Smith stinks up the joint, the alexcuses will come rolling in. They already have in thread debates this past week.

Kind of like when he plays well the haterexcuses roll in? Oh his 4 TD's was because the WR's and the OLine...Oh we won the game because of the defense...
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Once Smith learns not to throw pics or fumble at crucial times we'll be a winning team.

I'm not saying thats ever gonna happen btw.
Originally posted by Vasco49er:
I hate Alex's guts but I'll take him over Campbell or Henne any day. Everybody else above him deserves to be there.

Not a fan of Campbell by any means, but why would Alex be a superior choice in your estimation? Campbell's career stats are better, and his own path since '05 has been similar to Alex's (e.g., multiple OCs).
Share 49ersWebzone