LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

STILL: Worst QB play of the Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Our statistics:

One of only two teams with ZERO passing TDs.

Dead last in passer rating with an embarrassing 27.9 rating. The Bengals have a 51.5 and 5 teams are in the 60's.

Dead last in passing yards.

Number one in most picks thrown.

Between the bottom 2 and 5 in: average yards per pass, sacks allowed and completion percentage.

Pretty ugly. Blame it on the new scheme, the oline, vanilla game planning, not having our top WRs fully available, the QBs,.....whatever.

Any way you slice it, it does not bode well for the start of the season.

I am not worried about the touchdowns. We simply ran it in. We did pass in the Redzone last night but not alot.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Sorry, but I'm not going to get the warm and fuzzies about Alex Smith, despite the NBC article.

If the man jumps out of the gate and suddenly becomes the brilliant QB we all hoped and prayed he would become, then I'll eat a steaming hot pile of crow droppings, but I don't see that happening.

I see Alex being just good enough to get us beat. Obviously, Harbaugh sees something that I don't. He's the coach. I'm just a know-nothing fan. Who knows? Perhaps there is something there.

But I'm not going to get my hopes up. Not like last year.
I think he saw the available QBs weren't worth what people were asking, there weren't any Steve Youngs riding the pine behind Joe Montanas somewhere. He knows he will learn and grow on the job and this is a throw away year. This team is not just a QB short of winning a Super Bowl, can't fix everything at once.
save this thread for the regualr season...itll show you how stupid preseason statistics are. cuz yanno, we have to go over this every f'n year
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd say Alex had easily his best game vs. the Chargers. If he plays like that we will be fine. He was good. He led drives. He had 2 TD's but missed by 1 inch or so out of bounds to Braylon and Morgan missed by like 1 inch. So what? His completions were good and crisp and accurate and he led drives down the field. I thought he looked poised and accurate when you give him some time. The O Line needs to play better and we will be fine.

I don't care what Smith's stats are after the game, all I want is wins. If he helps us get the job done then that is good. But in the Chargers game for the time he played, and plays called, he got the job done two times in a row. He played just like I want him to, - steady, takes what the defense gave him, kept the chains moving and then got a score. If he did that for four quarters every game, I would be happy, happy.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd say Alex had easily his best game vs. the Chargers. If he plays like that we will be fine. He was good. He led drives. He had 2 TD's but missed by 1 inch or so out of bounds to Braylon and Morgan missed by like 1 inch. So what? His completions were good and crisp and accurate and he led drives down the field. I thought he looked poised and accurate when you give him some time. The O Line needs to play better and we will be fine.

I don't care what Smith's stats are after the game, all I want is wins. If he helps us get the job done then that is good. But in the Chargers game for the time he played, and plays called, he got the job done two times in a row. He played just like I want him to, - steady, takes what the defense gave him, kept the chains moving and then got a score. If he did that for four quarters every game, I would be happy, happy.

If he did what he did last night every quarter of every game, the team would score 56 points a game and go undefeated.

Seems realistic.
this is ridiculous.

what is the purpose of creating these topics? everyone understands that this is preseason.

yesterday we saw good offensive series, that's enough for preseason.

Who cares? It is what it is. JH will have Alex playing better(everyone for that matter) than he ever has and the offense will be infinitely better than last year. As the season progresses the offense will improve. The defense will have to keep us in games until the O starts to feel relaxed & confident in the WCO. Things are headed in the right direction, so chill out. This doesn't mean that there won't be bumps( a stinko game or 2) but you will see the light at the end of the tunnel by the end of the year. More time together and a good draft to upgrade some positions and we are going to be in the playoffs next year, if not this year. Everything would have to fall into place for the playoffs this year but not impossible. At least I feel like we now have competent coaches who know what the hell they are doing and coordinate with each other to produce a cohesive unit that knows what the hell they are doing.
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Our statistics:

Dead last in passer rating with an embarrassing 27.9 rating. The Bengals have a 51.5 and 5 teams are in the 60's.

Between the bottom 2 and 5 in: average yards per pass, sacks allowed and completion percentage.

Pretty ugly. Blame it on the new scheme, the oline, vanilla game planning, not having our top WRs fully available, the QBs,.....whatever.

You talk as if those aren't valid reasons. Vanilla game planning and o-line are the two main culprits...

The vanilla part is absurd. Every team in the NFL plays "vanilla" in the preseason, not showing their full packages. We just had way less success with our "vanilla" than any other team. Regarding the oline, etc..., it doesn't matter. I'm not blaming the QBs exclusively, but as a TEAM we easily had the worst passing attack in the NFL during the preseason. It doesn't matter if we won or lost, but we looked awful most of the time. Regardless of whose fault it was, if EVERYONE doesn't improve dramatically between now and next Sunday, we are in for a world of hurt.
You didn't read the thread last week that said we didn't gameplan, did you?

(waits for argument dismissing that very important fact)

I read it and I (mostly) dismiss it. We didn't have poor play because they read our O or D and had obviously game planned for us. We didn't miss plays by a slight margin because they were ready for it and took a specific receiver or gap away on a play they recognized. We got beat like a rug all night. Just like in the first game where nobody "game planned". We just don't have something. The drive, the talent, the scheme, etc... Regardless of if we "planned" for the other team, we sure supposedly prepared ourselves to play the best version of our O and D possible. And it looked like a HS team going against LSU.

Regardless of where you place the blame, we have looked awful against decent competition. Against the Raiders, one of the worst teams in the NFL, we looked sort of ok. Against backups in a 4th preseason game that meant far more to us than SD, we again looked acceptable. But whenever actually challenged, we were despicable.

I hope you are right. I hope game planning and just testing things/players out in the preseason is why we looked so bad. But I doubt it. I have a hard time believing that things will magically turn around in a week and a half. We may have shot against Seattle because they will suck too, but when playing decent teams, I have very little faith that we won't get our asses handed to us.

And when/if we do, I will be interested to see what the excuses are then once everyone is "game planning" for each other and our game plans result us getting our ass kicked.
I
I read it and I (mostly) dismiss it. We didn't have poor play because they read our O or D and had obviously game planned for us. We didn't miss plays by a slight margin because they were ready for it and took a specific receiver or gap away on a play they recognized. We got beat like a rug all night. Just like in the first game where nobody "game planned". We just don't have something. The drive, the talent, the scheme, etc... Regardless of if we "planned" for the other team, we sure supposedly prepared ourselves to play the best version of our O and D possible. And it looked like a HS team going against LSU.

Regardless of where you place the blame, we have looked awful against decent competition. Against the Raiders, one of the worst teams in the NFL, we looked sort of ok. Against backups in a 4th preseason game that meant far more to us than SD, we again looked acceptable. But whenever actually challenged, we were despicable.

I hope you are right. I hope game planning and just testing things/players out in the preseason is why we looked so bad. But I doubt it. I have a hard time believing that things will magically turn around in a week and a half. We may have shot against Seattle because they will suck too, but when playing decent teams, I have very little faith that we won't get our asses handed to us.

And when/if we do, I will be interested to see what the excuses are then once everyone is "game planning" for each other and our game plans result us getting our ass kicked.
I think most of us would agree that we are not a top of the line team just yet. But when playing our own level teams we have a 50-50 shot. If we win the majority of games against equal or inferior teams and then if we can "steal" 2-3 of games we shouldn't win then we have a very good chance of winning the west. So if we went 9-7 I would take it in a heart beat, knowing we will probably be torched by the good teams. Our most necessary games will be against the Rams and against the Seahawks in Seattle. If we win those three games we will win the west. But the most important game for us now is next Sunday against Seattle. If we can win that game, by any score, we will be on our way. If we lose that game we will be behind the 8ball and in trouble.
[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:24 PM ]

Quite frankly, I'm not sure that running a supposedly "vanilla" offense isn't a strategic error in and of itself. We have a new coach who's implementing a new scheme without an offseason, and yet we've calculated that we should wait until the regular season before running the offense in a game situation. Is this a recipe for success? I sure hope so, but it doesn't sound terribly wise, IMO.

I think there's a misconception that "revealing your game plan" is really all that revealing...as though we'll be unveiling some sort of previously unseen formations and plays that are unique. Personally, I'd rather get good at what we do and make teams try to keep us from executing it. I don't think there are any real secrets in the offenses that teams like Philly, New Orleans, or New England run...they just execute their plays really damn well.

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Party line response:

* it's preseason, it doesn't matter
* Smith played the same opponents as Brees and they have the same stats. Brees is awesome, so draw your own conclusions
* it' everyone's fault, but we're not willing to blame anyone in particular
* Harbaugh doesn't want to unveil his package (pun intended, ) so soon
* we had less time than other teams because of new coaching staff
* last year we were 4 - 0 and look what happened
* etc....

nice you pretty much covered them all.

Hmm...you were saying?
Originally posted by TX9R:
Can't say I'm surprised. people forget how complex the WCO is and how long it takes to get it.Montana, Young, even Elway all said it was 2-3 years before they really knew it inside and out, and they were good players. A basic 3 week install is going to be ugly, probably all season. I'm more concerned with our defense having the same issues for the last decade in basically the same scheme they've run for 6 years: no pass rush, can't cover.
Because of our historically lousy division, we'll win more games than we should and probably be sitting about where we were last year in the draft.

thank you someone finally remembers how advanced the WCO is everyone thinks this season will be a breeze just because of Harbaugh, he's not a miracle worker people he's coaching a team who learned bad habits from Singletary and even Nolan.Aside from the growing pains of the WCO, he has to undo the habits the players learned with Singletary and Nolan.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I think there's a misconception that "revealing your game plan" is really all that revealing...as though we'll be unveiling some sort of previously unseen formations and plays that are unique. Personally, I'd rather get good at what we do and make teams try to keep us from executing it.

Somewhere - likely in Minnesota - Mike Singletary absolutely LOVES this.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I think there's a misconception that "revealing your game plan" is really all that revealing...as though we'll be unveiling some sort of previously unseen formations and plays that are unique. Personally, I'd rather get good at what we do and make teams try to keep us from executing it.

Somewhere - likely in Minnesota - Mike Singletary absolutely LOVES this.

You think he may live in LA?
Our statistics:

Coach didnt want us to expose our playbook. He says there are a lot of bad men that want to steal our playcalling. I agree with him. Things will change; I promise.
Share 49ersWebzone