There are 157 users in the forums

STILL: Worst QB play of the Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
And those were the final words of AlexDouglasSmith11.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Alas, we did not get to know him well, but perhaps he will get well in another chatroom.

I take it, that its against TOS to impersonate a professional football player?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I read it and I (mostly) dismiss it. We didn't have poor play because they read our O or D and had obviously game planned for us. We didn't miss plays by a slight margin because they were ready for it and took a specific receiver or gap away on a play they recognized. We got beat like a rug all night. Just like in the first game where nobody "game planned". We just don't have something. The drive, the talent, the scheme, etc... Regardless of if we "planned" for the other team, we sure supposedly prepared ourselves to play the best version of our O and D possible. And it looked like a HS team going against LSU.

Regardless of where you place the blame, we have looked awful against decent competition. Against the Raiders, one of the worst teams in the NFL, we looked sort of ok. Against backups in a 4th preseason game that meant far more to us than SD, we again looked acceptable. But whenever actually challenged, we were despicable.

I hope you are right. I hope game planning and just testing things/players out in the preseason is why we looked so bad. But I doubt it. I have a hard time believing that things will magically turn around in a week and a half. We may have shot against Seattle because they will suck too, but when playing decent teams, I have very little faith that we won't get our asses handed to us.

And when/if we do, I will be interested to see what the excuses are then once everyone is "game planning" for each other and our game plans result us getting our ass kicked.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure that running a supposedly "vanilla" offense isn't a strategic error in and of itself. We have a new coach who's implementing a new scheme without an offseason, and yet we've calculated that we should wait until the regular season before running the offense in a game situation. Is this a recipe for success? I sure hope so, but it doesn't sound terribly wise, IMO.

I think there's a misconception that "revealing your game plan" is really all that revealing...as though we'll be unveiling some sort of previously unseen formations and plays that are unique. Personally, I'd rather get good at what we do and make teams try to keep us from executing it. I don't think there are any real secrets in the offenses that teams like Philly, New Orleans, or New England run...they just execute their plays really damn well.

Actually, it is a big revelation. It's the main reason why, over the years, we've had backup QBs play some great games for us - Rattay, Troy Smith, Grbac, etc: because the opposing team did not have any game tape on that QB and his style to study in doing their game planning. Then later when that QB become the incumbent, opposing defenses figure them out in a couple of games and things change. So extrapolate that to entire team play, and it's even more effective.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Party line response:

* it's preseason, it doesn't matter
* Smith played the same opponents as Brees and they have the same stats. Brees is awesome, so draw your own conclusions
* it' everyone's fault, but we're not willing to blame anyone in particular
* Harbaugh doesn't want to unveil his package (pun intended, ) so soon
* we had less time than other teams because of new coaching staff
* last year we were 4 - 0 and look what happened
* etc....

I've seen you use that "party line" when talkin' about RB Hunter.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I've seen you use that "party line" when talkin' about RB Hunter.

lol, and dobbs
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by ninerfan29:

I take it, that its against TOS to impersonate a professional football player?

It's against TOS to be a previously banned member
Share 49ersWebzone