There are 172 users in the forums

STILL: Worst QB play of the Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our statistics:

One of only two teams with ZERO passing TDs.

Dead last in passer rating with an embarrassing 27.9 rating. The Bengals have a 51.5 and 5 teams are in the 60's.

Dead last in passing yards.

Number one in most picks thrown.

Between the bottom 2 and 5 in: average yards per pass, sacks allowed and completion percentage.

Pretty ugly. Blame it on the new scheme, the oline, vanilla game planning, not having our top WRs fully available, the QBs,.....whatever.

Any way you slice it, it does not bode well for the start of the season.
[ Edited by TexasNiner on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:55 AM ]
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Can anyone say ClusterLUCK
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Our statistics:

One of only two teams with ZERO passing TDs.

Dead last in passer rating with an embarrassing 27.9 rating. The Bengals have a 51.5 and 5 teams are in the 60's.

Dead last in passing yards.

Number one in most picks thrown.

Between the bottom 2 and 5 in: average yards per pass, sacks allowed and completion percentage.

Pretty ugly. Blame it on the new scheme, the oline, vanilla game planning, not having our top WRs fully available, the QBs,.....whatever.

Any way you slice it, it does not bode well for the start of the season.

Do you really believe they will play this bad during regular season? I have a feeling Harbaugh is evaluating players by not putting them in ideal situations.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Party line response:

* it's preseason, it doesn't matter
* Smith played the same opponents as Brees and they have the same stats. Brees is awesome, so draw your own conclusions
* it' everyone's fault, but we're not willing to blame anyone in particular
* Harbaugh doesn't want to unveil his package (pun intended, ) so soon
* we had less time than other teams because of new coaching staff
* last year we were 4 - 0 and look what happened
* etc....
We still suck!
Originally posted by Shaj:
Party line response:

* Smith played the same opponents as Brees and they have the same stats. Brees is awesome, so draw your own conclusions
* etc....

The bold is the most true. Although, I would change it to "it's preseason, stats don't matter"
I dunno, it's tough to decide which is better (or worse): finishing 4-0 last pre-season and had our hopes up, but failed or possibly 1-3 this pre-season with things looking grim, but hopes that things will improve. With a new coaching staff, major changes to player personnel on both sides of the ball, we should be better. If Smith doesn't do well, even Harbaugh can't defend him after this season. As for our OL, it's a mess right now, even with the starters. IIRC, every single projected starter had problems vs. Texans and even the Saints. No protection = excuses for poor QB play.
Easy to say Frank Gore is getting his extension. Preseason or not, West Coast Offense or not. Gore is clearly the best offensive threat we have.
I could care less if we win or lose in preseason. What I look for is improvement. I thought we might improved a little over the Raiders game, but this showing was bad. If we see the same thing next week, I will have some serious concerns on how our season is going to go.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Can't say I'm surprised. people forget how complex the WCO is and how long it takes to get it.Montana, Young, even Elway all said it was 2-3 years before they really knew it inside and out, and they were good players. A basic 3 week install is going to be ugly, probably all season. I'm more concerned with our defense having the same issues for the last decade in basically the same scheme they've run for 6 years: no pass rush, can't cover.
Because of our historically lousy division, we'll win more games than we should and probably be sitting about where we were last year in the draft.

Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
I could care less if we win or lose in preseason. What I look for is improvement. I thought we might improved a little over the Raiders game, but this showing was bad. If we see the same thing next week, I will have some serious concerns on how our season is going to go.

most of the last preseason game will be played by scrubs fighting for a spot on the team. Next meaningful snaps our starters will get will be against Seattle. And going by how we looked this past week, it won't be purty.
At least we're playing Seattle. They're no juggernaut on offense either. T.Jack is still the starter according to Carroll and he has looked like s**t.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Party line response:

* etc....
Duly noted SD.

• dj43
We also need a "worst OL play of the pre-season" thread.

Or perhaps we should recognize that the main goal of these practice games is to identify which players and combination of players work best, and forget about anything else.

Good coaches put players in situations where they can best evaluate their performance BEFORE they get into games where the result actually means something. For anyone that has been watching closely, Harbaugh has done a lot of that. That is all these games mean.
  • Jiks
Share 49ersWebzone