LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

STILL: Worst QB play of the Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Either you are attempting to post from an outside domain or your firewall/anti-virus software does not allow HTTP_REFERER to be seen. If you have firewall/anti-virus software or hardware installed, check with your firewall/anti-virus vender to learn how to enable this feature.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Well, even after a slightly better performance in our 4th game, this still holds true.

QB rating for the preseason? 32.2 Far and away the worst in the league.

Passing yards per game? 108. Again, far and away the worst in the league.

League high 8 interceptions.

ONLY team in the league to not throw a TD pass in the preseason.

Hopefully it doesn't mean much other than that we gave a lot of playing time to a rookie QB, but it doesn't bode well. We did have our vet play some, and his stats didn't help much. And we are far from the only team that gave a lot of playing time to a rookie or very young QB, and we had by far the worst results.

Well, we'll see what it all means next Sunday. I don't think I'd read too much into preseason stats considering how meaningless preseason games normally are. I for one am glad that we didn't look all that great, and that we weren't 4-0 again. As of now, the record goes back to 0-0, and I'm ready for some regular season football!! GO NINERS!!!
Well, even after a slightly better performance in our 4th game, this still holds true.

QB rating for the preseason? 32.2 Far and away the worst in the league.

Passing yards per game? 108. Again, far and away the worst in the league.

League high 8 interceptions.

ONLY team in the league to not throw a TD pass in the preseason.

Hopefully it doesn't mean much other than that we gave a lot of playing time to a rookie QB, but it doesn't bode well. We did have our vet play some, and his stats didn't help much. And we are far from the only team that gave a lot of playing time to a rookie or very young QB, and we had by far the worst results.

Thanks for the update . . .
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Alex threw for44 yards and he is getting a lot of praise.....44 yards.
I'd say Alex had easily his best game vs. the Chargers. If he plays like that we will be fine. He was good. He led drives. He had 2 TD's but missed by 1 inch or so out of bounds to Braylon and Morgan missed by like 1 inch. So what? His completions were good and crisp and accurate and he led drives down the field. I thought he looked poised and accurate when you give him some time. The O Line needs to play better and we will be fine.
Originally posted by SFGem:

He wasn't in for the whole game and didn't have that many attempts. You act like it was all 4 quarters and the whole game.....
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Party line response:

* it's preseason, it doesn't matter
* Smith played the same opponents as Brees and they have the same stats. Brees is awesome, so draw your own conclusions
* it' everyone's fault, but we're not willing to blame anyone in particular
* Harbaugh doesn't want to unveil his package (pun intended, ) so soon
* we had less time than other teams because of new coaching staff
* last year we were 4 - 0 and look what happened
* etc....

You are officially a troll

personal attack

Doesn't mean it isn't true.
Maybe the niners need to be like the super bowl NY giants, they have the three headed running attack of Gore/Hunter and Dixon. Wear down the run defenders with Gore and Dixon, and then release the shifty Hunter. Goal line, Gore and Dixon, bell cow Gore, change of pace Hunter.

I like it.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He wasn't in for the whole game and didn't have that many attempts. You act like it was all 4 quarters and the whole game.....

I think it was two drives...and the second drive started in the red zone off a turn over(sick play by Bowman)...

44 yards in 2 drives (one short field) or 10 attempts

not to mention 2 RZ trips

im starting to wonder if you are a new fan because im willig to bet my sister knows more football then you and shes only watched like 1 game
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

im starting to wonder if you are a new fan because im willig to bet my sister knows more football then you and shes only watched like 1 game

LOL...

Ignore the numbers and watch the game. Alex moved EXTREMELY well in the pocket and actually scrambled for a good gain. He also timed some routes just as he was getting hit. He played very well.

I still don't like his throws on curl routes. The receiver sits there and waits for a split second too long all of the time.

Still wished we would have seen this last week. This week, starters play not to get hurt and are eager to hear, "OK, you're done for the day, get ready for regular season."
  • dj43
For all of those wringing their hands over these numbers; go back and look at Joe Montana's numbers over his career. Yes, you will find 300 yard games but you will also find a lot of games where his completion percentage was very good but his total yards were in the 180 to 250 range. Even after Jerry Rice arrived, vertical routes were not a significant part of the play. A lot of the times he rolled up big yardage were in losses where they were trying to play catch-up.

Last night was a typical example of WCO football: timed routes, reading the defense and settling into gaps in the short zones, using the pass to set up the running game, etc. The goal of WCO is NOT massive passing yards but moving the chains, controlling the clock, keeping the defense off the field. All of those things were accomplished last night with Smith.

Kaep struggled again but that should be expected by a rookie. That is why Baalke added McCown - to relieve pressure on CK and allow him to watch and assimilate the pro game. He received a lot of PT during the PS but will now likely not see the playing field the rest of the year unless both Alex and McCown go down.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

Ignore the numbers and watch the game. Alex moved EXTREMELY well in the pocket and actually scrambled for a good gain. He also timed some routes just as he was getting hit. He played very well.

I still don't like his throws on curl routes. The receiver sits there and waits for a split second too long all of the time.

Yes, he did move VERY well. He looked like the guy we have hoped for but not seen.

Of all the WCO stuff, curl routes take the most time to get the timing correct. As both Alex and the receivers develop the confidence born of working together, I expect that to get better.
Our statistics:

One of only two teams with ZERO passing TDs.

Dead last in passer rating with an embarrassing 27.9 rating. The Bengals have a 51.5 and 5 teams are in the 60's.

Dead last in passing yards.

Number one in most picks thrown.

Between the bottom 2 and 5 in: average yards per pass, sacks allowed and completion percentage.

Pretty ugly. Blame it on the new scheme, the oline, vanilla game planning, not having our top WRs fully available, the QBs,.....whatever.

Any way you slice it, it does not bode well for the start of the season.

You talk as if those aren't valid reasons. Vanilla game planning and o-line are the two main culprits...
Bravo Alex, Bravo. Way to show something. Arrow up.
Share 49ersWebzone