LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Its time for Harbaugh to send a message

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thank you Marvin for being reasonable and calm--realistic.

New center = learning and jelling with the line. Calls may not be correct.

Staley? Best lineman and he has been all over Iupati after blown coverage and sacks (not usually this vocal). Why? On one play Staley had outside, Goodwin had a man over him and Iupati chose to double with the center. The blitz came right through the hole created by Iupati when he slid to help the center. The center did not need help and the pocket broke down. One of the many ridiculous sacks in less than 1.5 seconds.

Seems everyone loves Iupati because he is a mauler extraordinaire, but he has a lot to learn about pass blocking. They have switched to more zone blocking and it is difficult for a second year guy to make this transition. He has to read the D and stay balanced on his feet, watching for the blitz. Ideally, Iupati should have dropped a step toward the center, waited to see if he needed help and then held against the blitz. He turned so far toward the center that I though it must be a run play and he was going to take the NT out...had his back to the blitzer.

At any rate, the line is what it is and they will improve, just like they did last year. But it will be painful to watch. I was only half kidding about starting the veterans...Wragge and Snyder. Staley/Wragge/Goodwin/Snyder/Davis or Boone. At least they would jell more quickly...run game would suffer.

On this play who did Staley block? If I’m correct Staley was blocking the air as the Texans defensive player ran right by him.

Yes, but he blocked a great deal of air and very effectively. You should have noted that the blitz brushed by the backside of Iupati while Staley was outside. Could he have closed quickly and stopped the blitz? Perhaps, but then the entire left side of the line would be behind center. It was quite apparent he thought Iupati had the guy. I watched it again and Staley would have had to give up the outside totally in order to make the block and it wasn't clear the DE would drop.

Zone calls are made and perhaps players are sticking to the call too strictly instead of adjusting?
I thought the rule was if you have to defenders rushing you take the inside guy because he has the quickest path to the QB.
Yes, but he blocked a great deal of air and very effectively. You should have noted that the blitz brushed by the backside of Iupati while Staley was outside. Could he have closed quickly and stopped the blitz? Perhaps, but then the entire left side of the line would be behind center. It was quite apparent he thought Iupati had the guy. I watched it again and Staley would have had to give up the outside totally in order to make the block and it wasn't clear the DE would drop.

Zone calls are made and perhaps players are sticking to the call too strictly instead of adjusting?

I thought the rule was if you have to defenders rushing you take the inside guy because he has the quickest path to the QB.
Originally posted by Niners6262:
I'm wondering if the oline problems are beacuse we have Synder at Center. Synder is good but he has never played the position. There is so much more to the Center position than just blocking the guy in front of you.....reading the defense and making the calls. Let's give Goodwin a shot at Center and move Synder to RG for this week in practice and last preseason game and see if that helps.

I thought the same thing until I saw Goodwin got beat on that INT play right before the half. Would have been a completion for a nice gain had he not got beaten. Of all the position on the line. This one worries me the most from the offseason.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 28, 2011 at 8:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
The center situation is a mess. I miss baas.

Yeah, but look at the upside......We didn't over pay.........

Instead of over paying in cash, we will over pay in ass whoopings every Sunday for 3 hours.

That's why I've always argued that when valuing a player, you have to take into account the team as a whole, such as, what's the alternative?

With that said, I'm a little suprised Goodwin has been such a non-factor. Not really sure what they are trying to prove not letting him run with the one to build chemistry.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 28, 2011 at 8:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
The 49ers need to trade for a real left tackle. I'm tired of watching Staley suck. Tonight he was the reason Smith got wasted on two of the early plays in the game. On one play Staley gets driven back, and Smith gets ramsacked. Then on the next Smith sack, Staley whiffs and Smith gets creamed. Staley is a clown who has always sucked, yet completely overrated by many fans.

GET A LT, NOW! Didn't Anthony Davis play LT in college? Move him to his natural position and move Staley back to RT where he also sucks, but slightly less.

/rant

I agree 100 percent.

However, unlike most, I dont think our problems are all communication. Even when our guys knew who to block they were getting steam rolled. Last night it looked like the Texans had 4 Reggie Whites on their team....
fine them $ every time they allow a sack....I bet they get their act together.

If you know the OG is suppose to take the guy over the OG, it is not unreasonable to assume he will do just that...rather than help the C with his guy. Could be a spacing issue with Staley going too wide because he doesn't want to be beaten outside...but I would think it might be the 2nd year guy. Staley has been banged up the past couple of years and may have lost some quickness, so I am not completely exonerating him...we just don't know!
Originally posted by 49erWill:

Great idea and it has been done by other teams! McKittrick just scared his linemen to death...or did he fine them as well?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Hopper:
The center situation is a mess. I miss baas.

Yeah, but look at the upside......We didn't over pay.........

Instead of over paying in cash, we will over pay in ass whoopings every Sunday for 3 hours.

That's why I've always argued that when valuing a player, you have to take into account the team as a whole, such as, what's the alternative?

With that said, I'm a little suprised Goodwin has been such a non-factor. Not really sure what they are trying to prove not letting him run with the one to build chemistry.

If there's anything our team has been consistently good at, it is plugging nobody's in at center and having that position work well. I'm not worried about center or left guard. I'm having heart attacks about every other OL position though.

Originally posted by susweel:
If JH really wants to send a message to this team he needs to bench Joe Staley and start Boone at LT. Staley has played awful all pre season getting beat and blowing assignments. If he really wants to send a message that it doesn't matter what your contract is or where you were drafted and that you will held accountable for your play on the field then he needs to make this move.

This would send a message in the locker room that nobodies job is safe and you must perform to keep your job.

Come on Jim the ball is in your court, send a clear message to your team.

I really think they need to try Anthony Davis at LT, which is his more natural position. People will remember that Sims absolutely sucked at RT before playing LT in an emergency, and he shone there (in fact, Davis's play at RT reminds me uncannily of Sims). It can't be any worse than the Niners' line is playing right now...
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
I really think they need to try Anthony Davis at LT, which is his more natural position. People will remember that Sims absolutely sucked at RT before playing LT in an emergency, and he shone there (in fact, Davis's play at RT reminds me uncannily of Sims). It can't be any worse than the Niners' line is playing right now...

I agree, for two reasons: 1) why not develop more depth, 2) Staley and Iupati don't seem sympatico, so maybe Davis and Iupati can develop together. Plus, it is his natural position as you stated. And...Staley was better at RT than Davis is.
More like an S.O.S....
Thank you Marvin for being reasonable and calm--realistic.

New center = learning and jelling with the line. Calls may not be correct.

Staley? Best lineman and he has been all over Iupati after blown coverage and sacks (not usually this vocal). Why? On one play Staley had outside, Goodwin had a man over him and Iupati chose to double with the center. The blitz came right through the hole created by Iupati when he slid to help the center. The center did not need help and the pocket broke down. One of the many ridiculous sacks in less than 1.5 seconds.

Seems everyone loves Iupati because he is a mauler extraordinaire, but he has a lot to learn about pass blocking. They have switched to more zone blocking and it is difficult for a second year guy to make this transition. He has to read the D and stay balanced on his feet, watching for the blitz. Ideally, Iupati should have dropped a step toward the center, waited to see if he needed help and then held against the blitz. He turned so far toward the center that I though it must be a run play and he was going to take the NT out...had his back to the blitzer.

At any rate, the line is what it is and they will improve, just like they did last year. But it will be painful to watch. I was only half kidding about starting the veterans...Wragge and Snyder. Staley/Wragge/Goodwin/Snyder/Davis or Boone. At least they would jell more quickly...run game would suffer.

On this play who did Staley block? If I’m correct Staley was blocking the air as the Texans defensive player ran right by him.

Exactly.

This is my point. Its not just guys getting flat beat. Its guys making mental errors.

Its not an excuse either. They can't make those mistakes. It has to get fixed.
Originally posted by 49erWill:

I like this suggestion. Hit em where it hurts.
Share 49ersWebzone