There are 166 users in the forums

Its time for Harbaugh to send a message

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
We drafted Davis to be the eventual LT, his position in college. He's struggled adjusting to the other side. Staley started off at RT then switched to LT and hasn't been as effective since. I would have them swap sides and experiment to see if it could help. It clearly couldn't be any worse than it is now. If one of them starts to excel then it would be worth it. Right now having both ends being a liability just isn't going to work.

Staley was one of the better LT's in the league in '08.

nvm
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Aug 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM ]
We drafted Davis to be the eventual LT, his position in college. He's struggled adjusting to the other side. Staley started off at RT then switched to LT and hasn't been as effective since. I would have them swap sides and experiment to see if it could help. It clearly couldn't be any worse than it is now. If one of them starts to excel then it would be worth it. Right now having both ends being a liability just isn't going to work.

What makes you think he was drafted to be a LT? The Niners thought they already had a LT and had major issues at RT.
I think they should just cut him. He really sucks, and always has.
  • Veteran
lets just be honest, this is the same OL from Sing and Nolan's years. They are no good. its simple, we need better players. I don't buy this, oh, its a new system and they have jell and all the BS. We've been saying this for over eight years. How many bucking times did Staley get burn tonight? We jus fu**ing suck, pure and simple.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
What makes you think he was drafted to be a LT? The Niners thought they already had a LT and had major issues at RT.

i could be wrong on that, i could have swore i remember reports that Sing didn't want to throw him in at LT right away. Staley was drafted to replace Kwame and he eventually moved over. Right now we have major issues on both sides.
Originally posted by andes14:

Staley was one of the better LT's in the league in '08.

nvm

Yeah he was one of the better tackles, but not one of the best,, ok....he was in the top 16 out of 32 starters in the league.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
They are still learning the new offense... Give it time.

The new offense is no excuse for the way they're getting beat. The system may be an issue when talking about receivers, or formations, or shifts, or confusion when it comes to things like that. But one-on-one, when you can't match up and are getting beat constantly, it's the player. I'm extremely disappointed in Staley. It would send a huge message to bench a leader, that everyone needs to step up.

No one Aldon was beating Staley so often in practice. Staley is just awful right now.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM ]
...a message that tells the team he intends to tank the season for Luck.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by susweel:
Guard takes dt, tackle takes the DE. Its not that hard. I really do get what your saying but they didn't blitz us.

...that's not always the case. C'mon...this is common knowledge.

True, my question is why is dude jumping outside when no one is rushing outside of him?? Need to have more awareness than that,

...I wish I had an answer for that. But, it could be number of things. Tackles block based on the play, adjustments made the Center, and the protection called by the QB. So, there was a breakdown somewhere - or maybe Staley just had a brain-fart. Who knows...but if you watched any of Lions - Patriots game, you will see similar breakdowns in Pats protection by Matt Light and company. These things happen...now it's up to the coaches and the players to fix it. This is what pre-season is for.
Guard takes dt, tackle takes the DE. Its not that hard. I really do get what your saying but they didn't blitz us.

True, my question is why is dude jumping outside when no one is rushing outside of him?? Need to have more awareness than that,

...I wish I had an answer for that. But, it could be number of things. Tackles block based on the play, adjustments made the Center, and the protection called by the QB. So, there was a breakdown somewhere - or maybe Staley just had a brain-fart. Who knows...but if you watched any of Lions - Patriots game, you will see similar breakdowns in Pats protection by Matt Light and company. These things happen...now it's up to the coaches and the players to fix it. This is what pre-season is for.

Its also posible that the tackle was assigned to someone who as thought to be rushing and the back was supposed to puck up the free man.

Who knows. The point is thats its not like Staley just completely got beat. He clearly thought someone else was supposed to get that guy. It may have been his mistake or it may have been someone elses. WE don't know tho.

• fly15
  • Veteran
2-14 here we come
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Its also posible that the tackle was assigned to someone who as thought to be rushing and the back was supposed to puck up the free man.

Who knows. The point is thats its not like Staley just completely got beat. He clearly thought someone else was supposed to get that guy. It may have been his mistake or it may have been someone elses. WE don't know tho.

Yeup...and that's what likely happened. Either he, or the Center, or the QB thought Texans will send in a blitz from his side and they didn't, and Staley didn't react quickly enough to get back in the play. It happens in the regular season, and it def. happens in the pre-season. Anyone see what NE's OL did today - Brady got hammered from every which way.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
2-14 here we come

Andrew Luck

i could be wrong on that, i could have swore i remember reports that Sing didn't want to throw him in at LT right away. Staley was drafted to replace Kwame and he eventually moved over. Right now we have major issues on both sides.
Staley is quick, not strong. Sounds like a better left tackle at this point then davis is at all on either position.
I don't think there's anyone in the building that knows how to fix the O line. It's been terrible for the last 8 years. They've used tons of high draft picks and brought in high profile free agents, but it just continues to get worse. It's obvious that the front office has been trying to fix it, but nothing they have done has worked.

I don't have an answer. But someone in that front office should...
Share 49ersWebzone