LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Its time for Harbaugh to send a message

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
LOL. No. Joe Staley is not my hero. I'm just saying he isn't the problem. Ya know who needs to improve their play?

EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THE LINE.

We know that, we're trying to convince you that this is no laughing matter, its serious when you have your "best lineman" out there blocking imaginary defenders while the real defenders are plowing the qb.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Sigh.

Nobody needs to be benched. All that will do is bring in guys that know the system even less and have even less chemistry with the rest of the line.

This zone drives me nuts sometimes.

Guys are either horrible or superstars based on ONE pre-season game.

RELAX. Let these guys get the O down. They have had 4 weeks to learn an offense when they would normally have FIVE MONTHS.

It usually takes 2 to 3 YEARS to learn the offense and you guys are throwing peeps under the bus after 3 pre-season games.

OK we get it, Joe staley is your hero.....no but seriously the offensive line is a major concern right now, you dont have to "know the offense" to pass block, and tonight they looked horrible. And its not just one preseason game they looked decent run blocking last week and the passing game benefited from it, but lets not forget the NO game. If teams know all they have to do is blitz us then we are in serious trouble, thats the bottom line, no matter what the excuses are

LOL. No. Joe Staley is not my hero. I'm just saying he isn't the problem. Ya know who needs to improve their play?

It is obviously more to do with not enough communication and not knowing the playbook than anything else. Some of it is the QBs fault for not adjusting the blocking, some of the center for the same, and some is the OL are thinkin' too much than playing.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by susweel:
Guard takes dt, tackle takes the DE. Its not that hard. I really do get what your saying but they didn't blitz us.

...that's not always the case. C'mon...this is common knowledge.

True, my question is why is dude jumping outside when no one is rushing outside of him?? Need to have more awareness than that,
If JH really wants to send a message to this team he needs to bench Joe Staley and start Boone at LT. Staley has played awful all pre season getting beat and blowing assignments. If he really wants to send a message that it doesn't matter what your contract is or where you were drafted and that you will held accountable for your play on the field then he needs to make this move.

This would send a message in the locker room that nobodies job is safe and you must perform to keep your job.

Come on Jim the ball is in your court, send a clear message to your team.

I agree with this for the most part, but maybe bench davis instead.
Staley could have at least made an attempt to put a hand on that DE. He just stood there, blocking ghosts and let Iupati do all the work. And lets not forget the sack that Staley had given up a few plays before either. Alex Smith has a red 74 jersey in his lap pretty much every other play.
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM ]
From what I've seen we have a RUN blocking OLine....in a passing league. Our QBs have been on the run for years. We've been drafting run blockers for Frank, and these days, it's a passing league. We just won't get it done this year...again.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Bench Staley and then bench Iupati for continually missing his assignment, and Davis too. Of course Rachal has to go and Wragge and Snyder are only good as backups. So, let's see...Boone/Person/Goodwin/Kilgore/(_______)leave blank and hope the D doesn't notice?

lol

So true.

Nuttin' goin on here man!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Genius1310:
From what I've seen we have a RUN blocking OLine....in a passing league. Our QBs have been on the run for years. We've been drafting run blockers for Frank, and these days, it's a passing league. We just won't get it done this year...again.

very insightful commentary, I never thought about that. we've also been taking extra large linemen, whereas Walsh and McKittrick would always select undersized but nimble lineman that could pull and could beat you with technique. This line was not built for the WCO.
Originally posted by qwestlove94:

We know that, we're trying to convince you that this is no laughing matter, its serious when you have your "best lineman" out there blocking imaginary defenders while the real defenders are plowing the qb.

I get that. I'm not saying its a laughing matter. I'm saying that I don't think its a personel issue. This was gonna be messy even if there hadn't been a lockout. We are just seeing how messy it is and how much work there is left to be done.

Its gonna be a long year and we shouldn't expect any real improvement from last year until at LEAST mid-season.

The good news tho is that most of their divisional games are late in the year. Lets just hope they have a QB or 2 that can still walk.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Genius1310:

very insightful commentary, I never thought about that. we've also been taking extra large linemen, whereas Walsh and McKittrick would always select undersized but nimble lineman that could pull and could beat you with technique. This line was not built for the WCO.

I know what you're saying, but that a bit of a misnomer.

These guys may be big, but they can all move pretty damn well. Staley was a WR in high school and can pull in fron of a sweep pretty damn well.

As for the size thing, the Saints have a HUGE line and they run a WCO. They do OK.

• Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
It is obviously more to do with not enough communication and not knowing the playbook than anything else. Some of it is the QBs fault for not adjusting the blocking, some of the center for the same, and some is the OL are thinkin' too much than playing.

This.^^^

They don't look too bad all things considered. I think they are closer than what most people seem to be thinking.

If you guys wanna see a s**t line, or a line in really bad shape...watch the Seacocks over the last two weeks. Our D is going to have a heyday if they show up with that line as it has been.
The 49ers need to trade for a real left tackle. I'm tired of watching Staley suck. Tonight he was the reason Smith got wasted on two of the early plays in the game. On one play Staley gets driven back, and Smith gets ramsacked. Then on the next Smith sack, Staley whiffs and Smith gets creamed. Staley is a clown who has always sucked, yet completely overrated by many fans.

GET A LT, NOW! Didn't Anthony Davis play LT in college? Move him to his natural position and move Staley back to RT where he also sucks, but slightly less.

/rant
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM ]
Guard takes dt, tackle takes the DE. Its not that hard. I really do get what your saying but they didn't blitz us.

Actually you take the man closest to your inside that hasn't been blocked because they have the shortest path to the QB.

Sometimes if you don't have enough blockers this results in a cheap sack from an edge rusher just because of a nice play call (cheap meaning it wasn't exactly earned by the player in question).
We drafted Davis to be the eventual LT, his position in college. He's struggled adjusting to the other side. Staley started off at RT then switched to LT and hasn't been as effective since. I would have them swap sides and experiment to see if it could help. It clearly couldn't be any worse than it is now. If one of them starts to excel then it would be worth it. Right now having both ends being a liability just isn't going to work.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
We drafted Davis to be the eventual LT, his position in college. He's struggled adjusting to the other side. Staley started off at RT then switched to LT and hasn't been as effective since. I would have them swap sides and experiment to see if it could help. It clearly couldn't be any worse than it is now. If one of them starts to excel then it would be worth it. Right now having both ends being a liability just isn't going to work.

Staley was one of the better LT's in the league in '08.
Share 49ersWebzone