There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaughs Approach to this 3rd preseason game.

Originally posted by Joecool:
The big question is, what if Kap goes through the roof and impresses? Is Smith's job on the line? I mean, if a rookie can show that he can play at the level of an average QB, wouldn't you want that rookie to play sooner and develop as an NFL QB sooner similar to Flacco, Ryan, and Sanchez. Your 5 year plan can turn into a 3 year plan (SB, I mean).

Haha, no man... not bloody likely. What it would impress on Harbaugh is that Alex's leash would probably be shorter than originally thought.

... but I think plan A is pretty set, barring injury, death, or incarceration.
The big question is, what if Kap goes through the roof and impresses? Is Smith's job on the line? I mean, if a rookie can show that he can play at the level of an average QB, wouldn't you want that rookie to play sooner and develop as an NFL QB sooner similar to Flacco, Ryan, and Sanchez. Your 5 year plan can turn into a 3 year plan (SB, I mean).

From what I have seen so far, not much chance of that happening. Colin needs a lot more work on his footwork, his reads seem to be a little improved though. I have hope for him, but he is a work in progress. Maybe next year, unless Smith finally starts playing up to his potential, then we can give Colin all the time he needs.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

From what I have seen so far, not much chance of that happening. Colin needs a lot more work on his footwork, his reads seem to be a little improved though. I have hope for him, but he is a work in progress. Maybe next year, unless Smith finally starts playing up to his potential, then we can give Colin all the time he needs.

Looks like he is getting his footwork down from what has been written this week. He played solid in Game 2 but I will still call that the OAK Raiders X factor of looking good...it really doesn't count. Alex is in a great situation. Starters aren't replaced by prospects unless the team is out of the playoffs. In this division you're never out of the playoffs.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Not only that, but it's preseason. Every QB "looks good" in the preseason. Rarely does that translate into the regular season.

And personally, I like the approach of sitting rookies and letting them learn.
Originally posted by 49erjonny:
I just read the article on the front page, will edit a link in as well, But it says that Colin Kaepernick is going to get the majority of PT with the 1st team, as well as players on the bubble satruday Vs Houston.. honestly. BOOOOOOOO.

With the lockout having as much affect of teams as it has, getting prepared, being in synchronization, this would be the most important game of all, and wow, were going to see a rookie who (im sorry to break hopes) has no chance of starting week 1 (OR succeeding even if he were to come in late in the season due to smiths poor play, an injury ETC,) play the majority of a game where teams amongst the league play the most realistic game plan??? bad move JIMMY. smith and this offensive core need to get the work, not the rookie unless of course he seriously believes he would need to be ready to play this season. in which case if he did, this season is already tanked. So really, where is Jims thinking with this as far as getting this offense better and there still being a 4th preseason game for kaepernick to play the entirety on??? why would smith not play at LEAST one whole half.. why not even a quarter?? Were putting our eggs in his basket, why not just put them all there, and get this guy as ready as possible for Week 1 Vs Seattle???? Anyone have any opinion on this?? Good? Bad?? please leave feedback but this just kind of disturbs me.. Smith and the Offense need to do something against a potential playoff team in houston. Performing against the raiders does not say much we can all agree. Bad move jimmy.. bad move. I know we havent played yet, but even this Mentality is bad. Someone calm my nerves..

I disagree-we have a lot of talent that needs to be evaluated because of this lockout. You feel the new or young talent won't make a difference, but what a huge mistake it would be if we cut a future player that turns out good or great, just because they weren't drafted, was a low round draft pick etc. Case in point the year the 49ers won the 1st SB, Dwight Hicks-FA, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson. They maybe 2nd team now, but could easily be pushed up to 1st team.

Also, chemistry matters. In Alex's case, he often gets injured. The more Kaep plays against 1st team talent the better prepared he'll be even if the other side is playing a vanilla D-talent is still talent. Besides-Alex maybe the starter, but I am certain JH will play Kaep in spot situations during the season, just to throw other teams off and make matchup problems. Example 2nd and 2 or run-you know Kaep can run but if play run and go after him, he can option and pass to a streaking WR or whatever option JH may have up his sleeve. If you play against 2nd and third stringers you can't always tell if the guys talent is real-case in point Coffee, Dixon etc., plus if you ever played the game in an organized league (H.S. or college) you know its different coming in to play at the start than it is in mop up duty.

This is an unconventional year which calls for unconventional means.
Originally posted by baltien:

Not only that, but it's preseason. Every QB "looks good" in the preseason. Rarely does that translate into the regular season.

And personally, I like the approach of sitting rookies and letting them learn.

No, not every QB...cough...Alex.
I see both sides of the argument but really it's not that serious. Sad thing is he's just setting himself up for hate. If Smith comes out and looks bad ppl will say it's b/c he didn't get all the reps in this game. Which will be off base.
Harbaugh is the QB whisper...I think he's seen what he needs to see from Smith...maybe he wants to see what Kap go against a first team D...this should be interesting
Whether it's to get Kap ready for when Alex goes down to injury or poor play, or if it's to evaluate, either way, it's a good move. He's the future, Alex is not.

Harbaugh > you
Originally posted by lamontb:
I see both sides of the argument but really it's not that serious. Sad thing is he's just setting himself up for hate. If Smith comes out and looks bad ppl will say it's b/c he didn't get all the reps in this game. Which will be off base.

I don't think so, Alex is on the absolute last straw. If he fails now, then we can finally close the book. He has everything he needs to succeed right now (coaching, skilled position players, relatively steady o-line). But this is the NFL and injuries happen, therefore, Harbaugh wants to see if Kaep can be #2 or if they need an emergency QB to play #2 while Colin learns. Gone are the days of the Alexcuses. He either does it or doesn't. If he does, the team wins, if not, the team loses.

Plain and simple
sorry but heres the big points some may have missed out of my post. Ill list.

1. Some of you definitely take my exaggeration a little too seriously..

2. The fact is, proven nfl teams that have done something worth talking about the past few years STILL are going to play their starters this week for more than one quarter, hell likely a whole half or more like the eagles did against cleveland. Again proven winning teams and coaches are abiding this ideal. andy reid, mike tomlin, lovie smith. etc; and you guys are just willing to accept this idea of backup evaluation because its Jim harbaugh saying it? a college coach who has not won an NFL game, I bet everyone in washington believed what Steve Sparrier told them too... sorry but If the backups are in there we expect them not to play that well, thats why they are backups in this league, if they were that good, theyd be starting elsewhere already, people do have scouting reports you know.

3. In terms of relevance, there is a still a 4th preseason game to learn about backup players upsides and personally, I only care to see what the defensive back ups look like, not the offensive.(ex. for hunter.) and like joecool said, if kaep lights it up, then what?? the QB competition begins and everytime alex throws an INT we scream "WE WANT KAEP"????????

I just think that this team hasnt had enough 1st team evaluation to be ready to evaluate the backups already, going into this game, normally with a whole offseason behind a team they play this 3rd preseas. game seriously. let alone with only 3-4 weeks behind you?

Im just saying regardless of the confidence in smith, blah the backups, blah blah, this first team O as a unit still has not established anything, id rather see smith run a whole half game style, then come in, and out, hand off, then drop back with no rythm, I just dont really like it is all.
I want to see our starters play the entire first half. I know Harbaugh wants to evaluate key backup positions, although, the starters needs as much practice as possible in our new system.
Originally posted by Hollywood:
Whether it's to get Kap ready for when Alex goes down to injury or poor play, or if it's to evaluate, either way, it's a good move. He's the future, Alex is not.

Harbaugh > you

There is no guarantee Colin is the future either, for all we know at this point. Harbaugh already explained why he is doing it, it makes sense.