There are 209 users in the forums

Harbaughs Approach to this 3rd preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I believe it's meant to be more of an evaluation of how Kaep does against a starting defense.
Originally posted by backontop:
I believe it's meant to be more of an evaluation of how Kaep does against a starting defense.

I agree
WHATS YOUR DEAL?!?
Originally posted by 49erjonny:
Originally posted by susweel:

too bad you may learn a thing or two troll.

There wasn't anything to learn in that rant you gave.

This game is no different than any other preseason game outside of the fact that the starters will play longer. The gameplans will be as vanilla as any other preseason gameplan. Harbaugh is trying to see if the rookies will be ready to play if they are needed. You're overreacting to say the least.
Originally posted by 49erjonny:
I just read the article on the front page, will edit a link in as well, But it says that Colin Kaepernick is going to get the majority of PT with the 1st team, as well as players on the bubble satruday Vs Houston.. honestly. BOOOOOOOO.

With the lockout having as much affect of teams as it has, getting prepared, being in synchronization, this would be the most important game of all, and wow, were going to see a rookie who (im sorry to break hopes) has no chance of starting week 1 (OR succeeding even if he were to come in late in the season due to smiths poor play, an injury ETC,) play the majority of a game where teams amongst the league play the most realistic game plan??? bad move JIMMY. smith and this offensive core need to get the work, not the rookie unless of course he seriously believes he would need to be ready to play this season. in which case if he did, this season is already tanked. So really, where is Jims thinking with this as far as getting this offense better and there still being a 4th preseason game for kaepernick to play the entirety on??? why would smith not play at LEAST one whole half.. why not even a quarter?? Were putting our eggs in his basket, why not just put them all there, and get this guy as ready as possible for Week 1 Vs Seattle???? Anyone have any opinion on this?? Good? Bad?? please leave feedback but this just kind of disturbs me.. Smith and the Offense need to do something against a potential playoff team in houston. Performing against the raiders does not say much we can all agree. Bad move jimmy.. bad move. I know we havent played yet, but even this Mentality is bad. Someone calm my nerves..

Remember when Smith didn't nearly play for two full seasons, then came in against the Texans, and tossed 4 TDs in one half of football? These guys know how to play, they'll be good. Just chill and let the genius show you what he's up to. Smoke a bowl, relax. You're a fan of a team from San Francisco. Join the culture.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
they need to use this game for chemistry against starters. no time together is bad enouph. wasting the biggest preseason game to check backups is bad. i agree with the post. Edwards and alex need time.....
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
WHATS YOUR DEAL?!?

He already said in the conference call that he doesn't agree with the convention that this 3rd preseason game is the 'dress rehearsal' or the most important preseason game and considers the 4th preseason game more important than the 3rd. I think he's going to buck tradition and use the other teams playing their starters for an extended time in the 3rd game as an opportunity to look at borderline players' ability vs NFL starters and will play the starters week 4 much more than other teams. Some people might not like the injury risk, but I think with this year's situation in particular, it's worth the risk of injury to accelerate the teams' long term progress.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
He already said in the conference call that he doesn't agree with the convention that this 3rd preseason game is the 'dress rehearsal' or the most important preseason game and considers the 4th preseason game more important than the 3rd. I think he's going to buck tradition and use the other teams playing their starters for an extended time in the 3rd game as an opportunity to look at borderline players' ability vs NFL starters and will play the starters week 4 much more than other teams. Some people might not like the injury risk, but I think with this year's situation in particular, it's worth the risk of injury to accelerate the teams' long term progress.

This actually makes sense! Its the last game before the season starts. Let everyone else sit their starters while we use their backups as rag dolls while driving up and down the field working on timing against a live opponent.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Remember when Smith didn't nearly play for two full seasons, then came in against the Texans, and tossed 4 TDs in one half of football? These guys know how to play, they'll be good. Just chill and let the genius show you what he's up to. Smoke a bowl, relax. You're a fan of a team from San Francisco. Join the culture.

Sound advice Kilgore, everyone just needs to chill and let the professionals do what they get paid to do.

I think its a brilliant move, Smith and the starters have already seen more playing time than what is average around the league during pre-season. Not only that but it sounds like Smith and the recievers will get back in for the second half so they can still work on chemistry. This is about getting a few young guys and up and comers some live fire experience against real first string opponents. No better way to see if the cream can rise to the top. All of you want Kaep to play over Smith, or Boone to get in there over Davis, How about Culver over Spencer? well here is their chance to put up or shut up. If Boone comes in and is a wall of stone in pass protection and a steam roller on the run...no way he doesnt crack the starting line up. If Culiver holds down Johnson over the course of 3-4 series watch him rocket to the starting line up. I for the record dont think Kaep is anywhere near ready, but damn if the experience of a solid half against real starters wont improve his chances of being ready by mid/ late season. In a normal season maybe you play it by the book...but this isnt a normal season...new coach, new players, no offseason to prep....time to play by some new rules.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I think its a brilliant move, Smith and the starters have already seen more playing time than what is average around the league during pre-season. Not only that but it sounds like Smith and the recievers will get back in for the second half so they can still work on chemistry. This is about getting a few young guys and up and comers some live fire experience against real first string opponents. No better way to see if the cream can rise to the top. All of you want Kaep to play over Smith, or Boone to get in there over Davis, How about Culver over Spencer? well here is their chance to put up or shut up. If Boone comes in and is a wall of stone in pass protection and a steam roller on the run...no way he doesnt crack the starting line up. If Culiver holds down Johnson over the course of 3-4 series watch him rocket to the starting line up. I for the record dont think Kaep is anywhere near ready, but damn if the experience of a solid half against real starters wont improve his chances of being ready by mid/ late season. In a normal season maybe you play it by the book...but this isnt a normal season...new coach, new players, no offseason to prep....time to play by some new rules.

Gonna be such a small sample size, but okay... it's all we got to work with.

I think with Jim doing this, he's giving a huge vote of confidence to his starters... those who I suspect he has already penned in. He has seen enough of the vets, and has now moved on to assess the youngsters. I get the feeling (duh) that this entire coaching staff analyzes personnel at the speed of a cheetah compared to our former coaches (turtles).
Agreed but small sample sizes is all we have... In a normal preseason some of these evaluations would have been in progress for two months.
Gives c.k. a chances to see live bullits......AGREE!
The big question is, what if Kap goes through the roof and impresses? Is Smith's job on the line? I mean, if a rookie can show that he can play at the level of an average QB, wouldn't you want that rookie to play sooner and develop as an NFL QB sooner similar to Flacco, Ryan, and Sanchez. Your 5 year plan can turn into a 3 year plan (SB, I mean).
Share 49ersWebzone