LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 179 users in the forums

Harbaughs Approach to this 3rd preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The big question is, what if Kap goes through the roof and impresses? Is Smith's job on the line? I mean, if a rookie can show that he can play at the level of an average QB, wouldn't you want that rookie to play sooner and develop as an NFL QB sooner similar to Flacco, Ryan, and Sanchez. Your 5 year plan can turn into a 3 year plan (SB, I mean).

From what I have seen so far, not much chance of that happening. Colin needs a lot more work on his footwork, his reads seem to be a little improved though. I have hope for him, but he is a work in progress. Maybe next year, unless Smith finally starts playing up to his potential, then we can give Colin all the time he needs.

Not only that, but it's preseason. Every QB "looks good" in the preseason. Rarely does that translate into the regular season.

And personally, I like the approach of sitting rookies and letting them learn.

No, not every QB...cough...Alex.

I think it's indisputable that Alex has look better than Kaep this preseason. Anyone thinking that Kaep, despite struggling against PRESEASON defenses is going to magically get better once they start coming after him for real is delusional. IMO, our O-Line in it's entirety played like crap vs. the Saints which led to our QB's poor performances. I digress...

(And yes, I'm fully aware the above statement is troll bait.)
JH brought Josh McCown in so he could learn the offense. JH will use his evaluation of Kap to see is he can cut McCown. If Kap is at least half way to where Harbaugh feel he should be then he can cut McCown. This opens up a spot to keep a promising, young stud instead of exposing a not quite ready prospect to be plucked off of the practice squad. There weren't any mini camps so some of these new guys just need some more work but JH can't keep them all on the 53 man roster. McCown has been around and JH will let him know to stay in shape and be ready. If Alex gets hurt or Kap gets hurt doing mop-up or in practice then McCown is ready to go. Bases covered. Look for Frank's blocking buddy, Norris, to be gone which will open up another spot. The team is getting younger, faster and stronger. That is why we let our 3 starting free agents(Franklin, Spikes & No Can Cover WRs) walk. Besides Frank's new blocking buddy will be a big hit with him by the 3rd game. If not, Frank will be next.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by susweel:

I just spit coke on my computer screen. Dammit Sus!

I lol'd

GO lakers!.....Alex is gonna play the whole 1st quarter and Kaep will play most of the 2nd, Alex will be back in if a two minute drive situation arises and thats it..i wanna think that JH is pleased with the way alex is perfoming so he doesnt have any doubts about being able to win with him, and he wants to give the rookie some needed training against first teamers....we are going with Alex people, embrace it and lets kick ass.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

edit: aww sus beat me to it.

ahh but yours is much funnier.
[ Edited by 49erjonny on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM ]
The big question is, what if Kap goes through the roof and impresses? Is Smith's job on the line? I mean, if a rookie can show that he can play at the level of an average QB, wouldn't you want that rookie to play sooner and develop as an NFL QB sooner similar to Flacco, Ryan, and Sanchez. Your 5 year plan can turn into a 3 year plan (SB, I mean).

From what I have seen so far, not much chance of that happening. Colin needs a lot more work on his footwork, his reads seem to be a little improved though. I have hope for him, but he is a work in progress. Maybe next year, unless Smith finally starts playing up to his potential, then we can give Colin all the time he needs.

Not only that, but it's preseason. Every QB "looks good" in the preseason. Rarely does that translate into the regular season.

And personally, I like the approach of sitting rookies and letting them learn.

No, not every QB...cough...Alex.

I think it's indisputable that Alex has look better than Kaep this preseason. Anyone thinking that Kaep, despite struggling against PRESEASON defenses is going to magically get better once they start coming after him for real is delusional. IMO, our O-Line in it's entirety played like crap vs. the Saints which led to our QB's poor performances. I digress...

(And yes, I'm fully aware the above statement is troll bait.)
I wasn't comparing rookie Kap to 7-year Smith. I'm talking about rookie Kap looking much better than rookie Smith and as good, if not better than 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year smith.

No troll.
I'm talking about rookie Kap looking much better than rookie Smith and as good, if not better than 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year smith.

Can't even tell who said this, but this is annoying. So Kap looks better than Smith as a rookie? Well golly, I could.. drunk as fu*k this very minute,.. run out on the field and throw passes that made rookie Alex look inferior. Who gives a damn? Stop living in the past already, people. You gotta let go of all that sh!t and just embrace the unknown ahead. You should all want Kap to sit a year and learn... I know you're impatient, but just think!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm talking about rookie Kap looking much better than rookie Smith and as good, if not better than 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year smith.

Can't even tell who said this, but this is annoying. So Kap looks better than Smith as a rookie? Well golly, I could.. drunk as fu*k this very minute,.. run out on the field and throw passes that made rookie Alex look inferior. Who gives a damn? Stop living in the past already, people. You gotta let go of all that sh!t and just embrace the unknown ahead. You should all want Kap to sit a year and learn... I know you're impatient, but just think!

You shouldn't even bother responding to someone that has so little depth of thought as to compare Smith and Kaepernik's rookie years without taking into account the surroundings and talent level of the teams they came onto. Only ignorance of the concept of team sports could drive such an argument.
Harbaugh's eyes are much different than the prior 3 coaches. Let's play a few games that count before we question his moves.
I mean who doesnt want to see Kaep stiff arm the sh** out of Mario Williams, and throw a 45yrd strike to Lance Long?.......
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
I mean who doesnt want to see Kaep stiff arm the sh** out of Mario Williams, and throw a 45yrd strike to Lance Long?.......

Only the Texans and their fans. I am hoping Colin shows more progress on his footwork, that is usually one of the biggest hurdles for a running qb, Steve Young used to drive me crazy with his happy feet.

20 minutes before they open the gates and the SFPD makes us all turn around and tour Hunters Point becausewe can't even be at the gate until one. Then we FINALLY get in and they're posted up almost in riot gear. This is gonna get worse before it gets better. Thanks Oakland.
Dodgers stadium is like this too.
  • Jiks
Better safe than sorry?
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

Only the Texans and their fans. I am hoping Colin shows more progress on his footwork, that is usually one of the biggest hurdles for a running qb, Steve Young used to drive me crazy with his happy feet.
Yea I would like to see more reading, and pocket awarness......but I cant lie.....I love to watch him scramble, just cause I know he can make something out of it....
Crazy. They've had how many games there over the years? One game gets out of hand and they go overboard? Who's running the show there TSA?
Share 49ersWebzone