LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

I still dont understand the Crabtree hate ....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't get the hate either, but I certainly don't get the love... What has he done that makes anyone think he is about to break out into the upper echelon of NFL recievers? I see potential, but at this point, the best word I could use to describe my feelings about Crabs thus far, would be MEH...
Originally posted by 49erfaninNY:
i rather have a player, who is known for his run after catch ability, sit out and let an injury heal 100% than fight through it during the offseason because of what his teammates think..and who anointed vernon davis team doctor.

Im with you cuz! I'll bet most of the Alex jock hanger are the one hating. This is a biz contract issues will happen. This is football injuries will happen. So because he held out and missed practice dealing with injuries and wishes he had a legit QB he's the bad guy....ok
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Aug 20, 2011 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Deodato:
Oh you mean say like Josh "I can succ it" Morgan. . . . Next to VD, Crabs is the best we got and this year we are even better with the addition of Edwards!! Gore, VD, Crabs, BE, we have the talent NO DOUBT!! Now if we can just get them the ball . . . . PS. At least Crabs WANTS to win and will not hide that fact.

yeah they got more talent but will they have the timing down? i am confident in VD, morgan, walker and maybe a few others but am worried about crabtree and edwards.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
... and there it is. People would be shocked if they actually understood all that they were watching. We see a ball in the air and get to the WR... oh no!!! the pass is helmet high!!! What are we to do?!? Well first, you don't cry about a catch-able ball, and you expect your pro receiver to stick his hands up and catch it. But back to the point, if you have ever run a receiver route before, you must know that 1 extra step or one step not taken will have remarkable results on the pass location. We see a pass that is slightly left, right, high, low, and it is SO easy to blame the QB... but guess what? If that receiver fu*ks up the route even slightly?

well, there ya go...

That's why it's important for these receivers to practice with their QBs. They need to give it all, Jerry Rice style. Crabtree has pu$$y scared eyes... just look at him and see that. He held out when he first came into the league, and he's essentially holding out every chance he gets. He has the natural talents, but until he gets his head right, he's more a liability than asset.

... and I really LIKE that we have Crabtree... loved when we drafted him... don't hate him at all... but his approach to the NFL is depressing... disappointing. I want him to be great... I want him to want to be great. Still time...

this. i blame crabtree for these issues but i don't "hate" on him for it. even the first year, could he have really practiced anyways?

Really like your post Oldman9er. Too many people are willing to blame QBs when the pass looks bad without realizing how much the receivers can impact the play. Played with a receiver who just couldn't catch and ran the wrong routes consistently. The QB began to overthrow him out of bounds to prevent Ints...used him as a decoy. Crabtree's tips and bad route running reminds me of the situation to some extent.

A good coach will not allow these things to go on and will call a receiver on it. Crabtree is not that bad. He has loads of talent and may have a break out year with Edwards on the team, but up to now he has been a distraction much of the time. The loss of PS and TC with injuries and his holdout as a rookie really hurt his development. It did not help him but put him in a negative spotlight.

His attitude toward Smith is not healthy and if he wants to be in sync he has to fix that. Smith is open to all his receivers, working after practice or anytime according to VD and Gore, so it's on Crabtree. I believe he will be a very good receiver someday, I hope with the 9ers.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
me either
I don't get the love. He's done jack squat other than get paid.
Sick one hander catch by B. Edwards. Reminds me of Rice against the Rams...?
Originally posted by Deodato:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Well said. Crabs constant aloofness and unwillingness to put in the work required are why I believe he doesn't want to be a Niner. We know he is passionate about football or else he wouldn't have the highlights he did in college playing with a broken foot.

He of all our receivers needs the work the most, yet when there is opportunity he finds a rea...err injury....to not participate. As for those injuries, they are the non-confirmable type. "O coach my neck is sore. It's really been hurting me", there are no tests to prove or disprove that statement as fact or fiction. "Oh coach my foot really hurts"..."Really whats wrong with it Crabs?"...."I don't know, I came down on it wrong and it just really hurts"..as he limps on the wrong side, realizes it and then limps on the correct side to suite his story.......again no test to prove that claim. If he had a strain, break, fracture fans would be more forgiving cause they wouldn't have to take the word of a guy who seemingly always has a reason to not be there come preseason.

People are going to continue to "Hate" (dumbest term on the zone imo, as it's not hate but more criticism. Nobody wants Crabtree to fail, we just want the same effort out of him as any other player on the team) long as Crabs continues to play like s**t after missing the entire preseason.
"People are going to continue to "Hate" (dumbest term on the zone imo, as it's not hate but more criticism. Nobody wants Crabtree to fail, we just want the same effort out of him as any other player on the team) long as Crabs continues to play like s**t after missing the entire preseason."

Oh you mean say like Josh "I can succ it" Morgan. . . .

Next to VD, Crabs is the best we got and this year we are even better with the addition of Edwards!!

Gore, VD, Crabs, BE, we have the talent NO DOUBT!!

Now if we can just get them the ball . . . .

PS. At least Crabs WANTS to win and will not hide that fact.
Good response, I see your point.....
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:47 AM ]
Crabtree was judged to be the best WR coming out of college in that draft...while he's shown flashes, he's yet to show the consistency you'd expect for the best WR in his draft class. I think Edwards coming on board could be the best thing for MC...he'll show him how it's done.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Crabtree was judged to be the best WR coming out of college in that draft...while he's shown flashes, he's yet to show the consistency you'd expect for the best WR in his draft class. I think Edwards coming on board could be the best thing for MC...he'll show him how it's done.

I completely agree. I was thinking if Edwards and Crabs started wouldnt Edwards be the No 1, and Crabs the No 2. It actually may be the best thing for him, because at least Edwards may, and this is just my opinion if it did happen, but he would take a ton of the pressure off of Crabs, and he wouldnt have to worry about being the main target.

I think that we all love what Crabtree could be but for three straight years now he is already falling shy of expectations. He's missed every snap of preseason and then get's miraculously healthy for the season and disapears from being "behind the curve" so to speak. I think people are just expressing their worry and frustration over his not being elite. He has elite talent but clearly and consistently shows a work ethic which is far from elite. Plus we all know that the GOAT was far from elite based on talent but that the championships and success came from hard work and dilligence combined with talent. The question is will Crabtree be a Rice or a Moss and which would you rather have? Sadly he hasn't shown anything nearing either.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

He should also open things up for Crabtree in a way the Niner receivers have not been able to do in the past.
Originally posted by susweel:
Okay I will bite.

1 Held out all of training and even missed 5 games for the same deal he would have (felt entitled to getting more money then his draft slot)
2 Missed all of training camp with a lame injury that even teammates (VD) questioned
3 Missing camp again for another injury

add to the fact he doesn't really want to be a niner.

um he's a douche and hopefully we can get something decent back in trade.

All the above and, unlike our latest addtn, Edwards, doesn't seem to recognize the value of developing rapport with his QB (s). Add to that a complete denial of his drops, and yeah, it's mystifying why there's all the hate.
Link

Q: Do you appreciate Braylon’s fresh start?
ALEX SMITH: I haven’t been around him before so I don’t know if it’s a new thing, but yeah, I mean the guy’s a professional. He works hard. He’s even on me a lot of times – let’s go through this or let’s do this. Very professional about how he goes about his job, aside from his ability. How he approaches the game it’s almost a lifestyle. He takes it very seriously. He’s putting everything into, so you appreciate that as a quarterback. And all our guys do. I’ve been so impressed with all the guys, how much they’ve committed. They’re not sitting on the fence. Everybody’s in. That’s great to see.

Q: When was the last time you threw to Michael?
ALEX SMITH: Crabtree?

Q: Yeah.
ALEX SMITH: This summer.

Q: What are you hearing about his timeframe?
ALEX SMITH: No idea. Couldn’t tell you.

Q: When you find out could you tell us?
ALEX SMITH: (Laughs) yeah.

I'm not really one to stir the pot but this is the 2nd or 3rd time Smith's been "short" about Crabtree. Has he ever been this effusive about Crabtree (compared to his praise for Braylon)? I think it's reasonable to assume Smith and Crabtree don't have much of a relationship. I could be wrong.
I think Alex is just f**kin with the Media at this point when it comes to Crabtree. Last week one of the Matts reported Crabtree and Alex were playing catch on the sidelines during practice
Share 49ersWebzone