There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
PatrickWillisHOF
You must be a young buck and really not know much about the WCO. It may suprise the Smith haters that during the 1984 Super bowl run, Montana checked the ball off to his running backs 161 times, with Roger Craig hauling in 71 of them alone. Yet no one complained about Joe being a check off artist. Did it ever occur to you that Smith had no open receivers to throw to? It was not until Jerry Rice came aboard that Montana started going down field more with his passes. Dwight Clark was more of a reliable check down target for the Niners to keep the chains moving. He knew how to take advantage of the zone coverage they faced all of the time. Taking what the defense is giving you is what it is all about. One other thing you should know, is that when Montana rolled right, he always had at least two receivers flloding the zone on that side of the field. Dingleberry's offense would typically have no one open and moving with Smith on rollouts thus resulting in throw aways. Yet Smith would take the heat for the coaching incompetency. That is what Harbaugh was talking about the fans and the team throwing Smith under the bus. It must have taken all of JH's will power to not have laughed and shaken his head when looking at the offensive tapes from the past two years. He realized how low of a bar he was competing against. This is not a defense of Alex, but no NFL QB could have achieved better results in the offensive offense we have had to endure. It was plain ugly and painful to watch the stone age football we had to endure. For the young fans, enjoy the new ride, it will be fun.

WELL PUT!!

Not trying to start an arguement but I think there is an obvious reason for concern from PATRICKWILLISHOF. In the Montana era the checkdown was more effective. If you take what the defense gives you on 2nd and 5, that's great! Alex's problem is that he goes there all the time even on 3rd and 15. He knows it won't get a first down and we all do as well when we are screaming at the tv. The Def gives the checkdown because they want him to go there. I'm not disagreeing with the Offensive playcalling being better now and that the checkdown worked in the glory days. I think Alex will be better but I want him to make better decisions. If it's 3rd and 10 and they have the RB in a zone coverage the odds aren't in our favor to pick up the 1st down. I would rather him take a chance on a post to VD to make a play or get a PI than to see the same screen pass for a 3 and out. Harbs will probably be a big help for him to make better decisions though.
I don't think the concept of the check down is the problem. Even the concept of a QB relying on it isn't that much of a problem, especially in a WCO.

The problem is in the past Alex Smith would fire a fastball or place the pass so high that it couldn't be caught in a running motion by Gore.
I don't give a f*ck. Just get first downs that contribute to making points and winning.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
As we all know, Alex is the check down master. Now that we are installing the West Coast Offense, are you worried that he will continue to not go through his reads and just check it down to Frankie?

Who said he's not going through his reads? This is bulls**t, plain and simple.

The problem is not that ALex checked down too much. Its that a WR would be open by NFL standards, but ALex would choose not to throw it to said WR and check it down. WRs needed to be WIDE OPEN for ALex to throw it to them. Its not that he checked down too much....it was that he checked down before he should have.

And for the dude that said in Harbaughs offense ALex will go through 3-4 reads before he has to check down is what REALLY scares me. ALex's field reading is one of his worst qualities. I hope he is able to figure it out or it will be a long season.
i dont care if he shoots the ball out of his *** as long as we are going forward and he isnt turning it over.

so no!
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM ]
You guys are all missing the point. Last year, it was very common for Alex NOT to trust himself and deliver the ball downfield. Even when it was 3rd and long, Alex would not attempt a pass down the field, and he would just check it down to Gore, eventhough he knew it wouldnt get a 1st down.
BEAT THAT HORSE! IT IS NOT DEAD ENOUGH!
I'm worried about all the web zone posters giving a hoot about Alex smith. Hes a joke. Only reason he is on this team is because of the lockout and harbaughs hands being tied.
You guys are all missing the point. Last year, it was very common for Alex NOT to trust himself and deliver the ball downfield. Even when it was 3rd and long, Alex would not attempt a pass down the field, and he would just check it down to Gore, eventhough he knew it wouldnt get a 1st down.

So, now Smith knowingly and purposely didn't get first downs? I think you're missing the point: the point being, you're making false statements, possibly due to you being biased.

Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

So, now Smith knowingly and purposely didn't get first downs? I think you're missing the point: the point being, you're making false statements, possibly due to you being biased.

How do you know he was scared, I mean unless you were on the field making the reads maybe no one was open
Originally posted by adacosta24:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

How do you know he was scared, I mean unless you were on the field making the reads maybe no one was open

Yeah I can't buy that at all. I give much more credence to the idea that he isn't seeing the play develop before the WR is open, so he isn't recognizing it. He threw the ball deep on 3rd and long all the time last season when he saw somebody open. He completed plenty of first down passes on third and long. So he obviously wasn't afraid to throw them at times. When you start saying things like that it goes from analysis to heavy speculation (where bias starts to show).

In Ninertalk, it is the reciever's fault, not Alex's! You should know this already, jeez...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
ugh not again

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
WTF seriously?
People just don't want to face the idea that our WRs simply were not getting open very much. Watching other QBs, they all have the same issues with precise route timing and missing the exact window due to extra caution. The difference? Those WRs would attack the football as if it belonged to them. Our boys acted as if the ball should always land softly in their hands not outstretched.