LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
if he checks down and we move the chains whats wrong with that? it eats clock, keeps the ball so the other team cant score and scores if hes using it well enough to move the chains. no problem with it whatsoever

The problem is before he wasn't moving the chains. Smith ranked 29th in 1st down completion ratio at 30.1%. Dumping it off on 3 and 8 and picking up 7 was Alex's calling card.

I'm not worried though. I think with actual offensive coaching Harbaugh will nip this in the butt. NolanSing was probally congratulating him on the sideline for improving field position.
Oh, and let's not forget what happend to Gore when he was over-used last season...
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Oh, and let's not forget what happend to Gore when he was over-used last season...

while I agree Gore is injury prone, what I've heard about his hip injury was that it was a freak accident. No one pushed him, no what threw up down or landed on him, when he went down it was just a random fracture of his hip.
Originally posted by cooljon16:
How many short, high and hard passes go out of the receivers hands and goes for a pick 6 this year?? 4-5??

20 cuz all of his passes will be !
but, but, but, gore will run for yards

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:

while I agree Gore is injury prone, what I've heard about his hip injury was that it was a freak accident. No one pushed him, no what threw up down or landed on him, when he went down it was just a random fracture of his hip.

"freak accidents" happen the more often you are on the field lol. Any time they step on the field there's a chance they'll be carted off it that play. Those chances go up when you're 29 and they're still giving you nearly 20 carries a game and 5-10 receptions. Gore plays a very physical grinding style that taxes the body.

With that said, if we cut down his carries(give some to hunter or dixon) I'm more than happy to use him for the 10 or so receptions per game we've been using him for. Passing downs aren't as worrisome as sending him up the middle and having a fat DE sit on him. .
[ Edited by mike on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex is a great QB and leader.
I'm worried simply bc Alex is terrible at throwing short accurate passes. Alex simply isn't a good (he's ok) passer to begin with. Hurry Colin!!!
Originally posted by susweel:

Someone is sleep-posting.
Originally posted by susweel:

Check downs for 4+ yards? no. Check downs to Gore where he can take to the house? No not worried at all.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
if he checks down and we move the chains whats wrong with that? it eats clock, keeps the ball so the other team cant score and scores if hes using it well enough to move the chains. no problem with it whatsoever

The problem is before he wasn't moving the chains. Smith ranked 29th in 1st down completion ratio at 30.1%. Dumping it off on 3 and 8 and picking up 7 was Alex's calling card.

I'm not worried though. I think with actual offensive coaching Harbaugh will nip this in the butt. NolanSing was probally congratulating him on the sideline for improving field position.

But can that be coached out of him? It seems like it's his natural instinct. Instead of making a tough throw or throwing a guy open he'd rather play it safe and just check it down. He just won't let it rip. I hope it is coached out of him.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Check downs for 4+ yards? no. Check downs to Gore where he can take to the house? No not worried at all.
NO
Alex will do just as every QB is supposed to do... take what the defense gives you. If the short pass is cleared out because the D is scrambling downfield to double up on VD or Edwards? Yep... hit Gore on the underneath circle route. High percentage passes that can help keep us out of the dreaded 3rd and long.
Share 49ersWebzone