LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm glad thye blitzed and crushed us. Will make coaches and players realize just how far we have to go. Better now than the 1st reguar season game. I expect very slow progress in the beginning, so can see us losing all preseason games. As long as we are progressing, learning the system (becoming 2nd nature) and not repeating mistakes, I'm good for now. By the time regular season starts, I expect us to be a much different team then we saw on Friday. Anyone who thinks we were gonna come out all gangbusters is crazy and doesn't have a clue.
lol i watched the replay last night and i'm not sure why people are complaining. yeah, they blitzed.... so f**king what? i watched the cowboys/broncos game and the broncos brought a lot of early pressure too.

just like our team to make ridiculous excuses as to why we looked s**tty. a legit reason to say we looked s**tty is that we have a new coaching staff that are installing a new offensive system and it's going to be rough early on. but don't blame the saints, they didn't do anything wrong at all.
Greg williams is a f*ggot
Originally posted by toeknee:
Greg williams is a f*ggot

I can't wait for the day when we are good enough to do what the Saints did to another team. But I would prefer it happens in the regular season.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If by "screwed" you mean "helped tremendously"? Then yes, we were screwed.

I can't think of a better way for this team to prepare for the season than being on the receiving end of a defensive onslaught delivered by one of the better D-coordinators in the game. In no way are we worse off for it.
I think that whatever we saw on Friday night, was the worst OL play we will see all year. There is no way that we could have played so bad with full preparation. The line should be much better than last year by Week 1 with more work and practice. I'm not really worried because I know for a fact that Harbaugh will be working on this relentlessly with his coaching staff and the players. I would have been concerned about this in years past because we knew our coaches could not make an adjustment to save their lives. We can expect different things now.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
lol i watched the replay last night and i'm not sure why people are complaining. yeah, they blitzed.... so f**king what? i watched the cowboys/broncos game and the broncos brought a lot of early pressure too.

just like our team to make ridiculous excuses as to why we looked s**tty. a legit reason to say we looked s**tty is that we have a new coaching staff that are installing a new offensive system and it's going to be rough early on. but don't blame the saints, they didn't do anything wrong at all.

the board has always been full of a bunch of whiny apologists, just look at those who still defend alex smith and believe in him.

bottom line is we looked alot worse then we should have, we've got a long way to go. I have alot of faith in Harbaugh to get the job done and while it doesn't worry me so much how he didnt have them prepared for the blitz, it was the inability to adapt to it once we saw it for a series or two. My biggest issue with singletary was lack of adjustments and I thought that would be be adressed with Harbaugh yet that team, for 60 minutes, put its qb a split second away from his deathbed.

Cohn nailed it in the article, While team does need to learn and develop much more to be relevant, the coach does too...I very highly value in game adjustments, he seemed lost as a coach that first game. I frequently laugh at my brother when he says we can be the worst team in the league and get Luck. That performance was so bad in the saints game, it's not as ridiculous of a statement as it once was. The offense was never, ever that bad in the Singletary era and int hat era, I thought that was as bad as a offense could be. I get he is installing a much more sophisticated offense and that will take time but to not make adjustments along the blocking scheme and play calling to save your qb's life is inexcusable.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I admit the Saints are dicks, but I'm happy they did it. -We could have been walking into another sand-trap like last year on our opening game against Seattle.

Harbaugh and Payton hugged after the game (like a bunch of buddies), so it makes you wonder.
Enough with this already. Let it go.

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Didn't we blitz brett farve last year?

He got sacked once by willis on a blitz, in preseason week 2. We did not continually send blitz after blitz after blitz at them. Manusky was mostly a conservative d-coordinator, I don't think I've seen our dbs used that way with manusky.

Anyway, I think it's great that they kicked our asses, you don't want to play a team that keeps the game at a level of intensity equal to what these guys practice at. You can practice blitz pickups all day but until it happens in game situations you don't really know how its going to turn out. Maybe they hadn't even been practicing to pickup an additional safety coming off the edge since it seemed there was confusion between staley and iupati on a few of those plays.

I'd like to see harbaugh continue to hide his hand throughout the preseason, if we sent full blitz packages at brees I think we would have changed their minds pretty quickly about blitzing us on every play, but carroll definitely will be watching harbaugh/fangio's every move... The raiders should be a better matchup.

Preseason week 1 last year was us destroying the starter-less colts(because why would they even play manning and the others), david carr threw for 98 yards, and their defense allowed dixon to run 100 yds. Now do you think that win meant we were headed to a superbowl? No? Then why do some of you think one loss to the saints = 0-16 niners?

We're facing raiders next, always a good game. But then Houston will make alex/kaep look good with their lack of a pass defense, and their makeshift d-line will make our o-line look good. Then the chargers always bench rivers and their starters after he scores like 1 td on us, unless their D is amazing we'll probably win that game and be high on this team going into the season as usual. I'd much rather we struggle some more because it'll make the team better than coasting through preseason and still winning.
[ Edited by mike on Aug 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I haven't heard anyone on the team make any excuses
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I admit the Saints are dicks, but I'm happy they did it. -We could have been walking into another sand-trap like last year on our opening game against Seattle.

Harbaugh and Payton hugged after the game (like a bunch of buddies), so it makes you wonder.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

Think Jim called up Sean and said "do me a favor"?
Harbaughs 5 year plan will now take 6 years

Share 49ersWebzone