LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

His FA rating is much like his draft rating. Everyones looking around wondering whats going on. But sounds like the guy has a plan and knows hes doing it his way. We'll all have to wait and see. 3yrs would be a gauge.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I keep reading posts that say "cheap" and "low ball offer" - where is this coming from? I'm not reading this in any of the tweets or articles. I'm also not seeing it in articles. Are they saying this on ESPN? I haven't seen Schefter say it ... just trying to figure out where this is coming from ....

If you're refering to my use of "low-ball offer" it was in the context of extending a player like Brooks or Haralson, but paying them less than what someone of that skill set or position would actually make if they were established....i.e. Bonafied passrusher.

I wasn't referring to your posts specifically, just I had come across that many times generally.

However specifically to your post, if a player believes he's getting a "low-ball" extension, doesn't he have the right not to take it? Furthermore, specifically regarding these players, they are not bona fide pass-rushers so I wouldn't expect them to command top dollar.

So are you saying we shouldn't extend these guys and go after a bona fide pass-rusher? I do agree with that premise, but it's always good to have depth to a certain degree.

I guess I just need to choose my words more carefully. Instead of "low-ball" I should of used discount. In other words, the Niners like to extend promsing players that still are more potential than production because they get them at a "discount." That's not a horrible strategy, but at some point you also need to pay for "bona fide players."
He threw in all his chips on Asomugha, and now is like a deer in headlights. "He didn't sign with us????"

The Niners had the draft and free agency to solve the greatest problem facing this team: covering wide receivers. In the end, the Cardinals get Patrick Peterson, the Eagles, Nnamdi Asomugha, the Texans, Johnathan Joseph, the Ravens, Chris Carr, the Steelers, Ike Taylor, the Jets, Antonio Cromartie, and the 49ers......Chris Culliver, a converted safety.

It sure should be fun to watch Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards and Todd Heap and Kevin Kolb carve up our secondary in 2011. It's OK. We've got Antwan Applewhite and Larry Grant.

So, what has been our biggest signing: Ray McDonald to a $20 million contract; and he will probably end up sitting on the bench if Franklin returns. Genius!!!!

Goldson is basically begging us to re-sign him, and when we finally do, some board members will scream, "Trent is a success", as if he had to do any heavy lifting.

"Be patient"! We have a "plan".

P.S. Jeff Kaplan's article on the home page, in discussing the epic disaster we are witnessing, was brilliant. Nice work!!

By the way, are we still going to the playoffs, Jed? Looks like we are making a big push to get there.
right now id give him an incomplete---wait until free agency is over before judging him
I give him a grade of...incomplete. There are many factors that are involved. I expected this year to be an evaluation year for the new coaching staff. They need time to evaluate the talent already on the team and how effective they will be in the new scheme.

For example...everyones favorite spinning pass rusher. Banta-cain was effective in NE. Once he came to the Niners...he was average at best. Some players perform better in a certain O or D. Due to the lockout...we only have limited time to evaluate so I'm not suprised that we have been fairly inactive. I expect next year to be different.

This is like evaluating the Draft selections...give him more than 1 year because nothing is going to change in less than a week of FA.

[ Edited by drake49er on Aug 1, 2011 at 08:09:45 ]
I wish I could jump off the deep end like most.

Heres what we know, rookie HC on a losing team, new system, in a reduced off-season.

Were people really thinking this season was going to be a good one for us? I mean really?
What matters most is getting us to the two win mark this year.... if manages to do that....he will receive my unconditional support....

#Suck4Luck....
Originally posted by Baalkesux:
What matters most is getting us to the two win mark this year.... if manages to do that....he will receive my unconditional support....

#Suck4Luck....

A better way to achieve this would have been to do what I suggested and trade our number 1 pick this year for someones next years.
Yeah it's kinda of disheartening to see other teams in such a weak division making moves to try to win now. While it's pretty apparent the Niners are in full rebuild mode. Looks like we are taking a let's let the guys we have play and see who pans out approach. Like they are gonna use this season to just evaluate talent.

I just can't explain why no CB's(that will make a difference) or a right guard to replace chilo were brought in. to me it's not about signing big names but it's about signing good quality names. and the front office is just watching talent walk on by.

[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 1, 2011 at 09:19:43 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I've been keeping my 'cool' all this time awaiting the results of the 'Olin Kreutz situation' (not as worried about what s**tty CB we'll sign to fill Clements spot, cause Center is the third most important position on a team; third to QB & Pass-rusher).

If we don't get Kreutz, I'll fully support/join the "FRONT OFFICE SUCKS!" bandwagon.

Don't worry, Snyder is learning on the job to play center. The organization loves putting people in positions they've never worked at before. Like coaches, GM and owner. I expect them to find some undrafted free agents to learn to play cornerback very soon.

F- Man this is bad. I remember being fed a similar line of BS when then 9ers were cutting all their best players in the early 2000's. I'm not up for another 5 years of rebuilding.... If this is the plan, I hope the Yorks pay for it in loss of revinue, stadium, what ever. They don't deserve to be franchise owners. No person's job in the FO should be safe either. Ownership/ FO are not putting together a quality product that the SF fan base deserves....
At this point I think Sing would've been a better GM in free agency.
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
None of the above, he has been trying, UFAs just do not want anything to do with SF.

Agreed! Plus look ar 90% of the league they are doing exactly what we are doing. Plus the whole lockout but us behind, but I actually think he has done a great job so far.
Git rid of clements who was overpaid & he's not that good. Spikes is old and comes with a Hugh price tag. Same goes for the others.
Its too obvious that the high end FA's don't want to play for a rebuilding team, but were not going to over pay for guys and were going to build this team through the draft
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He threw in all his chips on Asomugha, and now is like a deer in headlights. "He didn't sign with us????"

The Niners had the draft and free agency to solve the greatest problem facing this team: covering wide receivers. In the end, the Cardinals get Patrick Peterson, the Eagles, Nnamdi Asomugha, the Texans, Johnathan Joseph, the Ravens, Chris Carr, the Steelers, Ike Taylor, the Jets, Antonio Cromartie, and the 49ers......Chris Culliver, a converted safety.

It sure should be fun to watch Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards and Todd Heap and Kevin Kolb carve up our secondary in 2011. It's OK. We've got Antwan Applewhite and Larry Grant.

So, what has been our biggest signing: Ray McDonald to a $20 million contract; and he will probably end up sitting on the bench if Franklin returns. Genius!!!!

Goldson is basically begging us to re-sign him, and when we finally do, some board members will scream, "Trent is a success", as if he had to do any heavy lifting.

"Be patient"! We have a "plan".

P.S. Jeff Kaplan's article on the home page, in discussing the epic disaster we are witnessing, was brilliant. Nice work!!

By the way, are we still going to the playoffs, Jed? Looks like we are making a big push to get there.

This contract shows how inexperienced the Nienrs front office really is. You pay starter money top guys who have earned the right to start. And not guys who are given the starting spot b/c another player leaves. He has to earn it. Instead the Niners payed him before he earned it. Same thing happened with Parys. They paid him before he earned it.

Dam shame the cards in one off season got Kolb more help than we have given Smith in 6 years.
  • dj43
For those who have been giving Baalke a low rating; go read the analysis on ESPN that compared the price teams paid for FAs in the past with their actual performance on the field. The obvious conclusion is that there have been FAR more cases of players like Nate Clements who received huge cash only to return low value.

I don't know Baalke but from what I can see, he realized that the top FAs were not going to be attracted to a team with a 10 year losing streak unless the money was outrageously high. Hence he and Harbaugh set a plan to spend this year developing the tons of undeveloped athletes on this team and see how they do for a year, rather than tear up the salary structure for some guys who may not be worth it.
Share 49ersWebzone