There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Training Camp 2011-2012

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by bluecoller49ninerfan:
What's ur piont I didn't know this sight was only 4 gud spellerzzzz..lol wow. Wtf r u just a lame that likes to sit there and feel tuff online. Ill be at the lions game then you can come school me tuff guy...and go fix ur own s**t cuzz. and dude.... is not a sentence and when I was in school u only need one period and if your putting thirteen in a sentence you spell it. Dumb a...

I hate when it when 13 year old white kids get ahold of daddys laptop.

I hate when people talk s..t online.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
What's ur piont I didn't know this sight was only 4 gud spellerzzzz..lol wow. Wtf r u just a lame that likes to sit there and feel tuff online. Ill be at the lions game then you can come school me tuff guy...and go fix ur own s**t cuzz. and dude.... is not a sentence and when I was in school u only need one period and if your putting thirteen in a sentence you spell it. Dumb a...

I hate when it when 13 year old white kids get ahold of daddys laptop.

I hate when people talk s..t online.

Check your updated warning level. Don't tell someone to meet you at the lions game again.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Look, Smith isn't perfect. When he's under center, we are historically terrible at third downs. Its something he can improve on.

Agreed as to the bolded. This better be the year we improve in this area.

949er...you are typically one of the more unbiased posters around here. Curious why it was hard for you to bold the middle sentence of Y2R's post too.....you know....seeing as how thats an absolute fact as well.

I was under the impression that until last season, Smith was one of the top QBs in the redzone.. I think that has been posted quite often and far from an absolute. Am I wrong?
Originally posted by HomerJ:

Look, Smith isn't perfect. When he's under center, we are historically terrible at third downs. Its something he can improve on.

949er...you are typically one of the more unbiased posters around here. Curious why it was hard for you to bold the middle sentence of Y2R's post too.....you know....seeing as how thats an absolute fact as well.

I was under the impression that until last season, Smith was one of the top QBs in the redzone.. I think that has been posted quite often and far from an absolute. Am I wrong?

Not wrong. Two years ago, Alex was in the top 5 QBs in the redzone (think it was 2nd best, but not certain of that).

Alex has thrown 29 touchdowns to just one interception inside the red zone over the course of the last three seasons.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not wrong. Two years ago, Alex was in the top 5 QBs in the redzone (think it was 2nd best, but not certain of that).

Alex has thrown 29 touchdowns to just one interception inside the red zone over the course of the last three seasons.

I remember that year. That was also the year he got benched, right?
[ Edited by D_Niner on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM ]

He has traditionally been great in the red zone, but the points made were about third down.

He has traditionally been great in the red zone, but the points made were about third down.

It's something as a team we can and must improve on. There are so many reasons why we struggled on 3rd down that I can think of. Missing/not making throws, WR's running short routes(never understood this), penalties leaving us with 3rd and long, and also questionable play calling. I can think of quite a few times that we ran the ball on third down and were stopped short. To me that was one of very few coaching aspects I would/could really question about Harbaugh and Roman. To me it was going back to the Singletary days, and knowing exactly what we were going to do. Just going back the the 2 point conversion against the Saints. The play was snuffed out before it even happened I believe. It was very predictable and it seemed to hardly ever work.

I just really hope that being able to practice this, getting more repetitious with it, solves this issue. I see no reason why we should struggle this year. We have talent at every position. We have had a full offseason to fix these things so there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't get more t.d.'s and bring that percentage up a decent amount. I'll be completely honest, If Alex can't improve in this area, and we keep kicking field goals, then its definitely time to move on. No ifs and or buts. Truth be told I just don't see that happening but you never know. I guess that's why these next couple of games are very important for Kaep., Tolzien(greatest since sivaD N), and Johnson. T.B.H I don't really have a clue what any of these guys possess, gonna be fun to watch though.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
It's something as a team we can and must improve on. There are so many reasons why we struggled on 3rd down that I can think of. Missing/not making throws, WR's running short routes(never understood this), penalties leaving us with 3rd and long, and also questionable play calling. I can think of quite a few times that we ran the ball on third down and were stopped short. To me that was one of very few coaching aspects I would/could really question about Harbaugh and Roman. To me it was going back to the Singletary days, and knowing exactly what we were going to do. Just going back the the 2 point conversion against the Saints. The play was snuffed out before it even happened I believe. It was very predictable and it seemed to hardly ever work.

Good Post! Two keys you have listed:

1) receivers were unable to get position to run routes to the first down line...allowed defenders to dominate.
2) play calling was very predictable and unimaginative. Running on first and second downs and then having to pass or run again. Very conservative...and if it hadn't led to a playoff season I would be very critical!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Good Post! Two keys you have listed:

1) receivers were unable to get position to run routes to the first down line...allowed defenders to dominate.
2) play calling was very predictable and unimaginative. Running on first and second downs and then having to pass or run again. Very conservative...and if it hadn't led to a playoff season I would be very critical!

Just wanted to add that Most of those 3rd and longs came off of sacks after decent runs/passes
Originally posted by kush:
I've heard a lot of comparisons for Alex lately and each one is more ridiculous than the last.

Big Ben? Yeah right. Eli manning? This cant be serious. Drew Brees?? More like drew "please". Peyton Manning?! Gimme a f**king break!. Come on 9er fans get real, Smith doesn't compare to any of these guys.

Big Ben's a sweaty rapist who I wouldn't let clean my grandmas bed pan. I would trust Alex to be my wife's gynecologist for crying out loud. I mean to say The dude has the kind of character big Ben could only dream of.

Eli Mannings a big flapping vag. You think tha mofo could've made the run vs. The saints?? Hell no, he'd have slid short of the first down. Pass!

Drew Brees is short and slow, two things you'll never see Alex accused of. Furthermore he's a douche who only cares about stats. Perhaps he's compensating for something? Not Alex, dudes got a f**king armadillo in his pants and he don't need passing yards to make up for a tiny dick. Who dat?

As for Peyton Manning??? Dude is the biggest p***y on planet earth. Alex was ready to commit to this team long before we had harbaugh or were darlings of the league. Alex was still ready to sign even when puston womanning was getting worked out by our team.

Moral of the story: No more comparing Alex to these queer baits, he's gonna be better than all of them this year.

I originally bolded all of it. Then realized that I was not comfortable with the broad generalization in sentence two and was too lazy to dig up the specific stats that we were all discussing some weeks back. I also do agree that the team has been bad at third downs with Smith, but don't think that is all him (for example, running for 2 on 3rd and 8). So, in sum, I didn't want to blindly agree with it like I did the other two points.

I remember Alex being decent at 3rd down and redzone conversions....maybe I am remembering incorrectly? Thought it was just recently an issue.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I originally bolded all of it. Then realized that I was not comfortable with the broad generalization in sentence two and was too lazy to dig up the specific stats that we were all discussing some weeks back. I also do agree that the team has been bad at third downs with Smith, but don't think that is all him (for example, running for 2 on 3rd and 8). So, in sum, I didn't want to blindly agree with it like I did the other two points.

I remember Alex being decent at 3rd down and redzone conversions....maybe I am remembering incorrectly? Thought it was just recently an issue.

Before last year he was exceptionally good in the red zone, and probably average on third down.
He was one of the better quarterbacks in the league, rating-wise, in the red zone for his career. Take that for what it's worth - some people criticize QB rating because it rewards safe play - and there was a time where Alex Smith was behind only Peyton Manning for consecutive red zone attempts without an interception. I believe that streak ended this year against the Cardinals (?).
Originally posted by sf_JAC:
He was one of the better quarterbacks in the league, rating-wise, in the red zone for his career. Take that for what it's worth - some people criticize QB rating because it rewards safe play - and there was a time where Alex Smith was behind only Peyton Manning for consecutive red zone attempts without an interception. I believe that streak ended this year against the Cardinals (?).

I think it was Tom Brady but yea I remember that

It'll take too long to calculate passer rating and all that in the redzone so I'll just post this
Alex Smith in the red zone the last 3 years
2011: 13 TDs 2 INTs
2010: 13 TDs 0 INTs
2009: 16 TDs 0 INTs

No question hes one of the better red zone QBs in the league.

I didnt originally want to post this but
2006: 15 TDs 1 INT
2005: 1 TD 0 INTs

and of course he was injured in 2007 and 2008..
but in 2007 it was 2 TDs to 0 INTs

I know a big part of it is playing it safe but 60 TDs to 3 INTs in the redzone for your career is pretty impressive
I remember the game against us where Cutler had like 4 INTs in the redzone lol
[ Edited by HaRBaLLiN on Aug 9, 2012 at 3:22 AM ]
The problem wasbhe was a great rz qb before but we hardly got there with raye but we got most of our tds

Last year we got there a lot but didn't get much tds

I remember early in season either a player or bear writer I forgot who said it was due to complexity of offense with harbaugh where rayed was pretty simple

I expect it to get back to normal if not better this year