There are 222 users in the forums

Training Camp 2011-2012

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
lol most posters want to disregard AS's seasons prior and blame crappy coaching for his play...but then bring up past stats to prove a point that he's good when he sucked in the RZ with a better coach

Please stop this crap. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Can I ask why it is allowed?! It's everyday with him, and it's not like he's doing it to really state his case, he's doing it to troll. Again why is this allowed?

Trying to point out whats going on here and hopefully posters would stop manipulating stats to prove a point. When both Parties will not agree no matter what.

I say turn this thread into AS 2012 Training Camp thread and no past AS discussions allowed

There is a training camp thread.

Happy to adjust the warning level of posters who continue to post in an inflammatory fashion or who indulge in personal attacks.

Read the rules, particularly the first four words.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
lol most posters want to disregard AS's seasons prior and blame crappy coaching for his play...but then bring up past stats to prove a point that he's good when he sucked in the RZ with a better coach

Do you even comprehend football? The whole team was bad at third downs and red zone, these are the last parts of an offense to be installed. The reason for these struggles don't fall on one person, but on the offense as a whole. What you are complaining about is not as ridiculous as your posting nothing but negative stuff about your own teams qb. Your posts would be more at home on a seahawks or cardinals site.

Yet since 2006, when another QB other than Alex has been under center, our 3rd down % has increased. Basically you are chalking this up to coincidence?

I would guess most of us are... He needs to improve his 3rd down conversion along with the whole team offense. How is this even argued about is just amazing. Unless your contention is that Smith has to convert 3rd downs all by himself in a team game of football. Which is ridiculous on a whole new level.

If I remember correctly it was a very marginal increase. I guess that could say something, or could be coincidence. Either way it is an extremely minor point.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Can I ask why it is allowed?! It's everyday with him, and it's not like he's doing it to really state his case, he's doing it to troll. Again why is this allowed?

Trying to point out whats going on here and hopefully posters would stop manipulating stats to prove a point. When both Parties will not agree no matter what.

I say turn this thread into AS 2012 Training Camp thread and no past AS discussions allowed

See thats the problem. You state both parties. This isnt the hatfields and McCoys dude. You want people to pick sides on Alex Smith. That means you are coming in this thread just to argue against people who like him, or want to talk about Alex Smith in the upcoming season.

And frankly, I can care less if you want to turn this into an AS 2012 training camp thread. Its not your decision dude. Its the Alex Smith thread. Quit being argumentative. If you want to discuss stuff, by all means discuss. But arguing is not the point of the thread.

Well there is two parties and arguing is why this thread keeps growing.

Anyone who mentions a con of AS gets ganged up on and insulted..? is that right ?
Forum rules

1. Dont be a jerk.

Just to make it easy for the lazy's
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

See thats the problem. You state both parties. This isnt the hatfields and McCoys dude. You want people to pick sides on Alex Smith. That means you are coming in this thread just to argue against people who like him, or want to talk about Alex Smith in the upcoming season.

And frankly, I can care less if you want to turn this into an AS 2012 training camp thread. Its not your decision dude. Its the Alex Smith thread. Quit being argumentative. If you want to discuss stuff, by all means discuss. But arguing is not the point of the thread.

Anyone who mentions a con of AS gets ganged up on and insulted..? is that right ?

No. It is factually incorrect.

I think in this thread anyone who mentions a con of Alex Smith is asked to logically defend that point, just like when somebody says something positive. Over time it becomes clear which posters base their opinions on some semblance of facts and research, and which ones shouldn't be taken as seriously. I think there is a broad spectrum of posters.Some posters use stats, some use film, some use the eyeball test, and some just have strong, uninformed opinions. I personally prefer a balanced approach that incorporates all of those elements.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM ]
LOL

ahh the alex smith thread, where you can read page after page of the same arguments over and over
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

Do you even comprehend football? The whole team was bad at third downs and red zone, these are the last parts of an offense to be installed. The reason for these struggles don't fall on one person, but on the offense as a whole. What you are complaining about is not as ridiculous as your posting nothing but negative stuff about your own teams qb. Your posts would be more at home on a seahawks or cardinals site.

Yet since 2006, when another QB other than Alex has been under center, our 3rd down % has increased. Basically you are chalking this up to coincidence?

I would guess most of us are... He needs to improve his 3rd down conversion along with the whole team offense. How is this even argued about is just amazing. Unless your contention is that Smith has to convert 3rd downs all by himself in a team game of football. Which is ridiculous on a whole new level.

If I remember correctly it was a very marginal increase. I guess that could say something, or could be coincidence. Either way it is an extremely minor point.

Really if someone want to prove that Smith is bad on 3rd down conversion, wouldn't have to go back further than the NFCCG. It was 1of 13. But he needs help from others around him to turn that around also.

Listen, if you went into a Mcdonalds, and said "Hey everybody, Mcdonalds sucks and that clowns a b*****d..." or something along those lines,some ppl like mcdonalds, some may not like Mcdonalds food all that much, they might down right hate it! but, hey its food and thats where there eating.

Fact is, your probably not gettin out of there with out a bic mac up the ass, ya know what i mean?

Its kinda like this thread, just enjoy your burger man
[ Edited by whiskywarlord on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM ]

Really? I'd like to look at that. Can you link where you found those stats?

Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
Listen, if you went into a Mcdonalds, and said "Hey everybody, Mcdonalds sucks and that clowns a b*****d..." or something along those lines. My point is, many ppl may not like Mcdonalds food all that much, they might down right hate it! but, hey its food and thats where there eating.

Fact is, your probably not gettin out of there with out a bic mac up the ass, ya know what i mean?

This made me chuckle. I think I am gonna like you.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

Really if someone want to prove that Smith is bad on 3rd down conversion, wouldn't have to go back further than the NFCCG. It was 1of 13. But he needs help from others around him to turn that around also.

Yeah I think 80's is trying to make the argument that Alex is the main problem because those other guys had marginally better stats. (though he leaves out the word marginally). There is probably some shade of truth to it Alex's style of play is cautious by design, confidence in teammates, or instinct at times, which may slightly affect his success., but I agree that it is a team issue.

At the very least we should be using passing third downs from reasonable distance (less than 15 yds) to really compare what the old QB's did. Again, I don't think it is even statistically significant, and though I know where the stats are I'm tired of finding them when it seems to not get through to those with 80's opinion.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Listen, if you went into a Mcdonalds, and said "Hey everybody, Mcdonalds sucks and that clowns a b*****d..." or something along those lines. My point is, many ppl may not like Mcdonalds food all that much, they might down right hate it! but, hey its food and thats where there eating.

I'd say 13-3 makes the 9ers more like in-n-out than McDees
Originally posted by oldman9er:

It's not burgers it's corn dogs... noob

• Jiks

No dude, if you don't like Alex that is fine and dandy. I actually understand why people feel the way they do. Just don't come on here and make it seem like it's a bad thing to root for our starting QB. You seem to do things a lot just to get a reaction and you even admitted it last page. I'm guilty of the same, I've done it to you but I only do that in response to your constant negative attitude around here.

I have seen many people here admit Alex still has work to do. His 3rd% has to improve, his redzone % needs to improve. Me personally I could even say he needs to start taking more chances. Alex takes the safe way out on many occasions, and he needs to start letting it rip. See I have no problem admitting Alex has flaws in his game at the moment. But I do not blame Alex for all these mistakes, if you do again that's your rightful opinion. But the difference is you do nothing but trash the guy around every corner. I have yet to see you post one positive thing about Alex. I don't understand why you can do that? I mean if Harbaugh wanted him back then theres obviously some good things he does right? We made it to the NFCC, and the QB touches the ball more than any other player. His stats aren't amazing but they aren't awful. Keep in mind he also threw the ball less than any QB in the league. To expect Alex to have dynamite stats while throwing 26 times a game is completely unfair.

The guy may not be Joe Montana, but he's not the worst QB in the world either. Right now he's probably about middle of the pack in the current NFL. Thing is everything you read or hear about the guy he's improving. It's been a slow incline but he's improved every single year. Right now he is not great, but at the same time it's not the end of the world. With our defense we don't need an explosive offense. What we do need is to keep drives alive, take more time off the clock, and put up 4 more points.
Share 49ersWebzone