There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How good is the 49ers Defense?

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Sinsation:
this is a playoff team. cant wait to see what competent coaching can do!

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.

Nice personal attacks n00b. Great way to get warned or banned around here. You will learn that soon enough.

Interesting that you call me a "noob," which could be interpreted as a personal attack, while you go complaining about a personal attack. My comment was loosely based off of the monologue from hamburger hill, and was intentionally absurd in an attempt at humor. If you are really that sensitive to criticism, good luck living a fullfilling life.

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.

Nice personal attacks n00b. Great way to get warned or banned around here. You will learn that soon enough.

Interesting that you call me a "noob," which could be interpreted as a personal attack, while you go complaining about a personal attack. My comment was loosely based off of the monologue from hamburger hill, and was intentionally absurd in an attempt at humor. If you are really that sensitive to criticism, good luck living a fullfilling life.

Don't sweat Mike, you are new here so you probably aren't familiar with the fact that all he ever has to offer is hyperbolic criticism of said player, usually in the form of a one liner he probably think is clever. Just remember, when it comes to said player, he is everything that is wrong with the team...pretty ridiculous, but that is "big" mike.
10th - 20th in the league, depending on how the offense and ST play this year.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

That's probably pretty realistic. A realistic WZer. There are still lots of holes on this defense.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
This thread came about because of me. IMO here are some over the top points from the other thread that nameless people claimed :

-Our DL is great. Not good but great.

-RayMac on the field opposite Justin Smith in the 3-4 is basically like having 2 Justin Smith's

-Our LB'ing core is awesome.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's probably pretty realistic. A realistic WZer. There are still lots of holes on this defense.

Thanks, after years and years of mediocrity, you get pretty good at seeing the patterns.

Our run defense will suffer with the loss of Franklin, but our pass rush will improve slightly with Aldon Smith and whoever makes the cut (Haralson, LaBoy, Brooks, and Lawson).

But unless we add a playmaker to our secondary, I would expect very similar defensive performances from the last few years as the core of players will essentially be the same.
That's right, fellas... the good and rational WZers don't be believing in no positive mentalities round here. That nonsense is for them other fan bases. We goes into each year knowing we will beez lousy... because that's what die-hard fans iz all about.

Better to be negative and then considered realistic than to actually believe in your team! Got it?
It really depends on how free agency plays out, we are going to lose Franklin in all likelihood to Washington offering him a ridiculous contract. Then there is the question of the secondary, do we go after the guy from the raiders? As I said in an earlier post, it is just too early to tell.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
That's right, fellas... the good and rational WZers don't be believing in no positive mentalities round here. That nonsense is for them other fan bases. We goes into each year knowing we will beez lousy... because that's what die-hard fans iz all about.

Better to be negative and then considered realistic than to actually believe in your team! Got it?

I still think we are going to make the playoffs. I think both our offense and defense will be 'middle-of-the-road' which will be enough to get us to the playoffs. Sam Bradford will command this division in the future, but I still think we have better overall talent than the Rams.

I realize that my expectations for this team in years past have been too optimistic given the serious holes at key positions. But the arrow is pointing up for this team for the future

New holes, too. It will be interesting to see how a staff with more freedom to be creative will plug the holes, though. Could improve, even with the personnel losses.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Don't sweat Mike, you are new here so you probably aren't familiar with the fact that all he ever has to offer is hyperbolic criticism of said player, usually in the form of a one liner he probably think is clever. Just remember, when it comes to said player, he is everything that is wrong with the team...pretty ridiculous, but that is "big" mike.

I appreciate the head's up.
Well cant rush the passer and we cant cover anyone. Besides that we are okay.
Originally posted by PiratePete:

A coach who has been widely considered as a coach who runs up the score will be a breath of fresh air. Not a coach who is content with keeping it close and trying to win on the last possesion(the last 5 years of coaching you are reffering to) Harbaugh is cut throat! Ask Pete Carol why Harbaugh went for 2 when up big late in their USC vs. Stanford rivalry game?

He might have did that s**t in college but he will NEVER do it in the NFL.
It's not too bad at some spots but worse than most WZers believe.

Missing:

~ SS
~ FS
~ CB
~ CB
~ OLB pass rusher - unproven at the pro level.

That's not a great defense. There are some good D Linemen and 1 great LB and a few other good LB's.

Missing? I don't think thats the right word to use. Last time I checked we had multiple players at each of those spots. We are below average in the defensive backfield but its not as if its the 05 niner backfield with sammy davis starting at cornerback and rumph at saftey
Originally posted by susweel:
Well cant rush the passer and we cant cover anyone. Besides that we are okay.