There are 423 users in the forums

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by boast:
they better resign RayMac. i, too, would rather see ManLaw walk before him.

Agreed. Lawson is so overrated it's unbelievable.

Post 1,000

Only took me like 4 or 5 years.

Grats, breh. After many years of reading the articles and the forums, I decided to join. Hopefully, I'll be able to gain some clout here sooner than later. I know how tough it can be to gain the respect of a lot of the members in here.
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame

what the f**k does his culture have to do with the 49ers?

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...

fair enough....but that dance is annoying to me for some reason. just to be a smart ass, if one of our players parents were from Scottland would it be ok if that player walked out on the field with bagpipes before every game?

whats wrong with bagpipes?
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...

fair enough....but that dance is annoying to me for some reason. just to be a smart ass, if one of our players parents were from Scottland would it be ok if that player walked out on the field with bagpipes before every game?

sound gay

sound gay

The pipes make alot of people happy Listen to some Alba dude.

sound gay

The pipes make alot of people happy Listen to some Alba dude.

ill take your word for it
After reading of the newly proposed CBA rules regarding 4 and 5 year vets to now be unrestricted free-agents, it was interesting to see Barrow's article about Ray McDonald.

For the the past several years, I could never understand why this team hasn't played him more. For the very limited time he sees on the field, he seems to be a very good playmaker.

He has the ability to pressure/sack the QB, deflect passes and, as mentioned in the article, returned a INT for a TD against Carolina last year.

I'm hoping the new regime is smart enough to see that this guy makes plays and making plays is exactly what this team lacks on defense (excluding Willis, Spikes and J. Smith) As far as I can see, he hasn't given any reason to warrant sitting on the bench as much as he does. I don't see why he they have only including him in situational 3rd down pass-rushing situations.

With Franklin seeking a big pay day and Sopaga being a mediocre DE at best, maybe moving Ice to NT and starting McDonald is even better than resigning Franklin.

Bottom-line is, I've questioned why they don't start McDonald for the past 3 years and I'm curious if anyone else has been baffled by this as well.

Thoughts?

he seems to get more push than everyone. better than smith most of the time. ive always wondered the same thing.

No.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
After reading of the newly proposed CBA rules regarding 4 and 5 year vets to now be unrestricted free-agents, it was interesting to see Barrow's article about Ray McDonald.

For the the past several years, I could never understand why this team hasn't played him more. For the very limited time he sees on the field, he seems to be a very good playmaker.

He has the ability to pressure/sack the QB, deflect passes and, as mentioned in the article, returned a INT for a TD against Carolina last year.

I'm hoping the new regime is smart enough to see that this guy makes plays and making plays is exactly what this team lacks on defense (excluding Willis, Spikes and J. Smith) As far as I can see, he hasn't given any reason to warrant sitting on the bench as much as he does. I don't see why he they have only including him in situational 3rd down pass-rushing situations.

With Franklin seeking a big pay day and Sopaga being a mediocre DE at best, maybe moving Ice to NT and starting McDonald is even better than resigning Franklin.

Bottom-line is, I've questioned why they don't start McDonald for the past 3 years and I'm curious if anyone else has been baffled by this as well.

Thoughts?

he seems to get more push than everyone. better than smith most of the time. ive always wondered the same thing.

No.

idk he gets off the ball pretty quick when hes in there. now if he were to play a whole game idk if he could keep that up. what makes smith so good is he doesnt stop all game.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He will start once Franklin leaves.... New DC, New mentality.

You know he wasn't gonna beat out J. Smith, and Manusky preferred to have another NT sized DE in Soap rather than a "mirror-image" of Smith like he always preached in McDonald. Soap was great at occupying blockers but he was never gonna terrorize the backfield like Smith. Ray has that capability.

Looking at our roster, we will need a DE when Soap moves over to NT and Ray would be a seemless transition. That will allow Tukuafu to get another year of understudying in and RJF can keep learning the NT position. We will probably bring in a FA for depth hand selected by our new DC.

Sounds like we're all on the same page:

1. No idea why the hell this guy hasn't been starting at DE in place of Soap.
2. Let Franklin walk and start Smith, Soap and RayMc.

I really really like the idea of putting Soap at NT because he's really only good for occupying blockers and that's a NT's primary responsibility.

Smith and McDonald rushing the edges could be lethal!

You still have no idea even though it's been mentioned several times up to the point of this post?

Ray McDonald can't stop the run or occupy blockers like Sopoaga does. He's a liability in run support. He came in on obvious passing downs because of that reason. It's the same reason guys like Ahmad Brooks don't start. He's had a lot more playing time than your average backup, but he's inconsistent and is often taken completely out of the play when the tackle or guard allow him into the backfield only to end up eating him alive - away from the QB or ball carrier. This looks like pressure, but it's a technique that OL's use to take guys like Ray McDonald out of a play. He over-pursues and only thinks about that sack.

This is why he didn't start and may not start if they re-sign him unless Franklin leaves and Sopoaga moves inside. I wouldn't mind seeing him start, but he's definitely not as good as people in here want to believe.

Thoughts?

No.

idk he gets off the ball pretty quick when hes in there. now if he were to play a whole game idk if he could keep that up. what makes smith so good is he doesnt stop all game.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing McDonald, but there's no way he gets the push that Justin Smith gets. He may get off the ball pretty quick, but once he gets engaged, he is nowhere near Smith's level.

You know he wasn't gonna beat out J. Smith, and Manusky preferred to have another NT sized DE in Soap rather than a "mirror-image" of Smith like he always preached in McDonald. Soap was great at occupying blockers but he was never gonna terrorize the backfield like Smith. Ray has that capability.

Looking at our roster, we will need a DE when Soap moves over to NT and Ray would be a seemless transition. That will allow Tukuafu to get another year of understudying in and RJF can keep learning the NT position. We will probably bring in a FA for depth hand selected by our new DC.

I really really like the idea of putting Soap at NT because he's really only good for occupying blockers and that's a NT's primary responsibility.

You still have no idea even though it's been mentioned several times up to the point of this post?

Ray McDonald can't stop the run or occupy blockers like Sopoaga does. He's a liability in run support. He came in on obvious passing downs because of that reason. It's the same reason guys like Ahmad Brooks don't start. He's had a lot more playing time than your average backup, but he's inconsistent and is often taken completely out of the play when the tackle or guard allow him into the backfield only to end up eating him alive - away from the QB or ball carrier. This looks like pressure, but it's a technique that OL's use to take guys like Ray McDonald out of a play. He over-pursues and only thinks about that sack.

This is why he didn't start and may not start if they re-sign him unless Franklin leaves and Sopoaga moves inside. I wouldn't mind seeing him start, but he's definitely not as good as people in here want to believe.

very good point and that very well could be the case. id still like to see him get more PT even if that means Soap has gotta sit some.

[ Edited by FreddyG on Jun 23, 2011 at 18:24:12 ]

very good point and that very well could be the case. id still like to see him get more PT even if that means Soap has gotta sit some.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying the guy sucks or anything like that, but I understand why he hasn't been starting over Sopoaga. Soap just does a better job of occupying blockers, which, in theory, should allow the OLB to get thru the line easier, but Lawson doesn't seem to make it happen regardless.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying the guy sucks or anything like that, but I understand why he hasn't been starting over Sopoaga. Soap just does a better job of occupying blockers, which, in theory, should allow the OLB to get thru the line easier, but Lawson doesn't seem to make it happen regardless.

i think with a new scheme we should get a better look at our players. that lets play 15yrds off of tth WR s**t drove me crazy.

[ Edited by FreddyG on Jun 23, 2011 at 18:41:34 ]
Last season in a part-time role, McDonald tied for 10th on the team with 57 tackles, including five for losses. He did not record a sack, but he was credited with 56 pressures (second on the team, behind only Justin Smith) and his 26 hits on the quarterback tied him for third on the team. He added one interception and broke up three passes.

Read more: Maiocco: McDonald fits into 49ers' plan
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Me likey....
Quote:

As you might expect, he was more than pleased when told he likely would be an unrestricted free agent.

"That's great news. I've been waiting four years for this," he said. "That would make my life. That would change everything as far as me going ahead with my future in my NFL career. ... So that's some good news - no, excellent news - for me."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/06/ray-mcdonald-i.html#ixzz1QA8JRjkd

Sounds like he REALLY doesn't want to be a niner
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Quote:

As you might expect, he was more than pleased when told he likely would be an unrestricted free agent.

"That's great news. I've been waiting four years for this," he said. "That would make my life. That would change everything as far as me going ahead with my future in my NFL career. ... So that's some good news - no, excellent news - for me."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/06/ray-mcdonald-i.html#ixzz1QA8JRjkd

Sounds like he REALLY doesn't want to be a niner

Sounds to me he's looking forward to a raise, not necessarily to leave the niners

[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 23, 2011 at 23:09:46 ]
Share 49ersWebzone