There are 310 users in the forums

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He is super fast off the snap, which gives him the edge against slower interior lineman.

I know injuries to the knee have slowed him down so i'm not sure if thats the best move.

If he plays full time the wear and tear will add up. He is a good backup for now. If he can show stability in that knee then he should be starting.
he's a good pass pressurer
He is too easily moved or run over on running plays. If you are going to start you have to be able to play the pass & run!
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
After reading of the newly proposed CBA rules regarding 4 and 5 year vets to now be unrestricted free-agents, it was interesting to see Barrow's article about Ray McDonald.

For the the past several years, I could never understand why this team hasn't played him more. For the very limited time he sees on the field, he seems to be a very good playmaker.

He has the ability to pressure/sack the QB, deflect passes and, as mentioned in the article, returned a INT for a TD against Carolina last year.

I'm hoping the new regime is smart enough to see that this guy makes plays and making plays is exactly what this team lacks on defense (excluding Willis, Spikes and J. Smith) As far as I can see, he hasn't given any reason to warrant sitting on the bench as much as he does. I don't see why they have only included him in situational 3rd down pass-rushing situations.

With Franklin seeking a big pay day and Sopaga being a mediocre DE at best, maybe moving Ice to NT and starting McDonald is even better than resigning Franklin.

Bottom-line is, I've questioned why they don't start McDonald for the past 3 years and I'm curious if anyone else has been baffled by this as well.

Thoughts?

I agree with you 100%! I have been thinking this for years. Add to everything you wrote the fact that Ray McD regularly blocks field goals!

I think a D-line of McDonald, Sopoaga (NT) and J. Smith would yield tremendous positive results this year! I think such a D-line would be even better than Soap, Franklin and Smith.

Here's hoping Fangio and Harbaugh see it that way, too.
We need him back.

I know we will lose Franklin, the FO wont pay him franchise money.

Moving Soap to NT is not a bad thing, it will make the defense quicker, but someone will need to keep Willis clean ...which means we will need more solid play out of our LB's this season, unless we somehow acquire a solid NT without having to pay Franklin Money, the defense will need to rely on speed the majority of the season and hope we can stop the power running attacks
While Franklin did show some stoutness at the POA vs single blockers, he never really did much to keep Willis and TKO clean anyway. Those LBs are just so B.A. that they often destroyed the blockers... but often at a price of a second or two to do so.

We never really had a NT that demanded double-teams or kept an extra interior OL in to deal with him.... as opposed to the constant second level OL coming straight for our MLBs.

4-3!
If Franklin signs elsewhere, I think we had better keep Ray. He would start for Sopoaga, as he would replace Franklin on the inside.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/23/11/Maiocco-McDonald-fits-into-49ers-plan/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=536924&feedID=5936

Quote:
McDonald will be a starter when the season gets going. And there's a good chance it'll be with the 49ers.

... and I thought this part really says a lot of what MM thinks of Franklin vs Sopoaga.

Quote:
Hi Matt, Any sense of when the CBA will be signed. It seems close. Will a D line with RayMac, Soap and Justin Smith be stout enough against the run? I would think it would be superior against the pass? Thoughts?

I think the CBA will be done by mid-July. I'm anticipating that the Hall of Fame Game will be played as scheduled. As for the 49ers' D-line,[color=red] I think the combination of McDonald-Sopoaga-J.Smith will be every bit as good as Sopoaga-Franklin-J.Smith[/color]. --Matt M.

Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongan on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

[ Edited by FreddyG on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:58:20 ]
Originally posted by FreddyG:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame

what the f**k does his culture have to do with the 49ers?

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...

fair enough....but that dance is annoying to me for some reason. just to be a smart ass, if one of our players parents were from Scottland would it be ok if that player walked out on the field with bagpipes before every game?

[ Edited by FreddyG on Jun 23, 2011 at 16:56:49 ]
Share 49ersWebzone