There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

After reading of the newly proposed CBA rules regarding 4 and 5 year vets to now be unrestricted free-agents, it was interesting to see Barrow's article about Ray McDonald.

For the the past several years, I could never understand why this team hasn't played him more. For the very limited time he sees on the field, he seems to be a very good playmaker.

He has the ability to pressure/sack the QB, deflect passes and, as mentioned in the article, returned a INT for a TD against Carolina last year.

I'm hoping the new regime is smart enough to see that this guy makes plays and making plays is exactly what this team lacks on defense (excluding Willis, Spikes and J. Smith) As far as I can see, he hasn't given any reason to warrant sitting on the bench as much as he does. I don't see why they have only included him in situational 3rd down pass-rushing situations.

With Franklin seeking a big pay day and Sopaga being a mediocre DE at best, maybe moving Ice to NT and starting McDonald is even better than resigning Franklin.

Bottom-line is, I've questioned why they don't start McDonald for the past 3 years and I'm curious if anyone else has been baffled by this as well.

Thoughts?

[ Edited by NinerPrideinNJ on Jun 21, 2011 at 23:19:18 ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
After reading of the newly proposed CBA rules regarding 4 and 5 year vets to now be unrestricted free-agents, it was interesting to see Barrow's article about Ray McDonald.

For the the past several years, I could never understand why this team hasn't played him more. For the very limited time he sees on the field, he seems to be a very good playmaker.

He has the ability to pressure/sack the QB, deflect passes and, as mentioned in the article, returned a INT for a TD against Carolina last year.

I'm hoping the new regime is smart enough to see that this guy makes plays and making plays is exactly what this team lacks on defense (excluding Willis, Spikes and J. Smith) As far as I can see, he hasn't given any reason to warrant sitting on the bench as much as he does. I don't see why he they have only including him in situational 3rd down pass-rushing situations.

With Franklin seeking a big pay day and Sopaga being a mediocre DE at best, maybe moving Ice to NT and starting McDonald is even better than resigning Franklin.

Bottom-line is, I've questioned why they don't start McDonald for the past 3 years and I'm curious if anyone else has been baffled by this as well.

Thoughts?

he seems to get more push than everyone. better than smith most of the time. ive always wondered the same thing.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/06/ray-mcdonald-i.html

I forgot to include the link and I also forgot to mention the handful of blocked kicks he's had (ie: vs. Giants in '08).

What makes me laugh about this team is that one of the obvious flaws is that they can't rush the passer, yet a player like this proves he can do so effectively and they allow him to waste away sitting a majority of the game.
Yeah he is our 2nd best DL after Justin Smith. Kind of pissed me off how Sing only played him in 3rd downs as a pass rusher for the most part. The guy can play. Hopefully we re-sign him. The guy could be a terror as a starting DE on a 4-3 team also.
Originally posted by FreddyG:

I'm hoping the new regime is smart enough to see that this guy makes plays and making plays is exactly what this team lacks on defense (excluding Willis, Spikes and J. Smith) As far as I can see, he hasn't given any reason to warrant sitting on the bench as much as he does. I don't see why he they have only including him in situational 3rd down pass-rushing situations.

Thoughts?

he seems to get more push than everyone. better than smith most of the time. ive always wondered the same thing.

My thoughts exactly! It seems like when he's on the field he makes his presence felt in a very noticeable way, yet no love with the playing time.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah he is our 2nd best DL after Justin Smith. Kind of pissed me off how Sing only played him in 3rd downs as a pass rusher for the most part. The guy can play. Hopefully we re-sign him. The guy could be a terror as a starting DE on a 4-3 team also.

Sing was the best at roster management
He doesn't take up space and play the run stopper as well as Soap and since the Niners have worried more about stopping the run, than stopping teams from scoring points, McDonald was held out until passing downs. I think they need to decide on starting one and playing them on all 3 downs instead of making it obvious what they are trying to do.

Hopefully the new coaching staff sees this and attempts to resign McDonald. I'm okay with Franklin leaving because I think he will be overpaid and Soap can move the NT. He said the other day he is willing to do that as well. Then that will open it up for McDonald to start.

[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Jun 21, 2011 at 21:56:05 ]
Between him, Goldson and Lawson, I'd hate to see him walk the most.

He won't. If Franklin leaves, which looks to be a done deal, he'll be one of our top priorities. Him and Goldson.
Have to believe part of the reason he has been effective is that he has not been worn down throughout the game
Hasn't he blocked a couple kicks as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?

[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jun 21, 2011 at 22:30:37 ]
Originally posted by pelos21:

He won't. If Franklin leaves, which looks to be a done deal, he'll be one of our top priorities. Him and Goldson.

I hope you're right. I'd love to see him and Goldson stick around and Lawson and Franklin bounce (I wouldn't "love" to see Franklin leave, but if that means McDonald stays and gets more PT, by all means). Goldson underperformed drastically last year but he showed promise the year before. If he can tighten up his coverage skills and become more effective against the pass, he's in good shape.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Hasn't he blocked a couple kicks as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?

He has, quite a few. Off the top of my head, I recall the Giants game 3 years back (see my post a few spots above) but he's definitely had others. I think he had a blocked PAT somewhere in there too.
i agree. i've always liked RayMac. i dont think we should try to resign franklin, let ice and rjf play NT and start ray.
That's exactly what I thought when I read that. Is he supposed to say "I'm content being a backup"?