There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Good call on Beeler!
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Good call on Beeler!

Can't take credit I just edited that. I wanted to update without Heitmann in the picture. I was shocked we didn't get any Stanford players but Baalke is a right time right pick kind of guy. Like he said last year (2010 draft) he wanted 4 or 5 NT's of the bunch and non fell in the right spot.

I think Thomas Keiser OLB might be another option with Beeler. We have a lot of young guys but maybe Beeler makes it since he can play C/G and knows the offense. Could also hit the practice squad.

Lot of young guys on the team.... really interested to see who we make a play at in free agency. Wondering who we try to re-sign from out guys and if we go big on outside guys. We could still use a CB, NT/DE, WR, FB, etc so it should be interesting to see what position and what players we go after. I hope we don't just sit back.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 29, 2011 at 23:19:39 ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Good call on Beeler!

Can't take credit I just edited that. I wanted to update without Heitmann in the picture. I was shocked we didn't get any Stanford players but Baalke is a right time right pick kind of guy. Like he said last year (2010 draft) he wanted 4 or 5 NT's of the bunch and non fell in the right spot.

I think Thomas Keiser OLB might be another option with Beeler. We have a lot of young guys but maybe Beeler makes it since he can play C/G and knows the offense. Could also hit the practice squad.

Lot of young guys on the team.... really interested to see who we make a play at in free agency. Wondering who we try to re-sign from out guys and if we go big on outside guys. We could still use a CB, NT/DE, WR, FB, etc so it should be interesting to see what position and what players we go after. I hope we don't just sit back.

Ahhhh, I still like the call on Beeler. Seems like the veteran OL are taking him under their wing.

I can't wait for FA to start either. It will be a ton of activity in a few days throughout the whole league. This will be a telling clue as to the direction of our team. I know character is important to our coaches, FA will be interesting to see who we go after. I am wondering what the risk/reward angle of repose occupies, regarding free agents.

I would love to see, and anticipate, a resolution to the lockout around the fourth of July. It makes sense, from a marketing standpoint. Give the masses their opiate, while they recover from whatever the fourth brings.

Ahhhh, I still like the call on Beeler. .

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/ninersvideo#

Maiocco had a nice interview with him, no reason to not bring him in and let him compete for a spot.

Yeah, and totally agree about free agency. It will be crazy with teams having little time to sign free agents before camp begins. We should see a ton of signings, trades and releases right after the lockout ends. Like you said will be interesting to see what our strategy is.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
The Niners have got to address their needs at DB. I'm so tired of seeing the Niner DBs getting burned in highlight after highlight. Clements is done IMO. The dude is great in run support, but gets OWNED in coverage. Spencer had some potential, but he's never been able to really take that next step. CB should be priority number 1 IMO.

The safeties aren't much better either. That being said, I'm hopeful that Reggie takes a huge step this season. He got a boatload of playing time last season, maybe he uses that exp to step it up.

If I see the NFLN Top 5 Passing Plays of 2010 one more time...
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I'm tired of seeing Norris at FB. He offers limited flexibility and he isn't even that great at what he presently can do. The primary recollection that I have of Norris is of him looking like a fool while trying to catch a pass from Alex Smith.

I'm skeptical that Miller will pan out at FB. Even more so since he's being converted from DL, which is something that I still don't understand. I definitely cannot see him making any immediate impact.

-9fA

Im with you on Norris. This offense needs versatility and at this stage Norris is just a battering ram and not a very effective one anymore. I think Byham will see allot of time as a lead blocker while Miller makes the transition. One thing to keep in mind is that last year most fans thought another defensive-player-moved-to-fullback named Miller should of gotten the job over Norris, hopefully this year it actually happens. The only reason why this Miller is turning heads when they drafted him to be FB over the previous Miller is because of his sack stats, and our need for an OLB. But remember where we drafted him... if teams really thought he could transition to OLB he wouldn't of been there when we selected him.

Byham is primarily a blocking TE, no? He could have the size to transition temporarily to FB, I haven't checked. However, I would argue that he would have a slight learning curve as well as your responsibilities as a blocker are different as a FB as when compared to as a TE.

Agree with you on Brit Miller. I wanted Miller over Norris and was surprised to see Norris retained. I recall that Miller also offered special teams value that I don't think Norris does (could be wrong).

I'm just still not convinced that Bruce Miller will pan out at FB. But hey, in Harbaugh I trust.

-9fA

Byham has dropped 10-12 lbs during the off season,also went back to playing BB in a mens league 3 nights a week in Pittsburgh..According to Nate it has given him more agility.Wants to play at 258 this yr compared to 270 last yr.. Nate played fb at Pitt 10-12 plays a game as well as the slot,Y,H,and the TE for the 49ers last yr

[ Edited by franklinfan on Jun 30, 2011 at 07:46:05 ]
I'll just throw out some of the better UDFA's. They should go like quick once the deal gets signed so I hope we are ready. A lot of good players out there. Hopefully one of these guys ends up on the roster or at least practice squad.

QB:
Pat Devlin
Scott Tolzien
Adam Froman
Taylor Potts

FB:
Henry Hynoski

WR:
Terrance Toliver
Ricardo Lockette
Dane Sanzenbacher
DeAndre Brown
Jeff Maehl

OL:
Tim Barnes - C
Jake Kirkpatrick - C
Zach Hurd - G
Derek Hall - G/T
Kris O'Dowd - C
Zane Taylor - C/G
Chase Beeler - C/G

3-4 NT:
Ian Williams
Anthony Gray

3-4 LB:
Alex Wujciak, ILB
Mark Herzlich, ILB/OLB
Steven Friday, OLB
Thomas Keiser, OLB

CB:
Kendrick Burney

S:
Deunta Williams
Joe Lefeged
DeAndre McDaniel
Jeron Johnson
Originally posted by franklinfan:

Byham has dropped 10-12 lbs during the off season,also went back to playing BB in a mens league 3 nights a week in Pittsburgh..According to Nate it has given him more agility.Wants to play at 258 this yr compared to 270 last yr.. Nate played fb at Pitt 10-12 plays a game as well as the slot,Y,H,and the TE for the 49ers last yr

Yeah, he played really well in pre season but his lack of speed showed in the regular season. Glad he lost weight and hopefully he got quicker. Could be a nice FB/H-back/TE for us.
The defense looks soft behind Spikes and Willis. That secondary needs help badly.

Harbaugh had better have a ball control offense to keep the D off the field as much as possible.
Originally posted by ninergold:
The defense looks soft behind Spikes and Willis. That secondary needs help badly.

Harbaugh had better have a ball control offense to keep the D off the field as much as possible.

Let's wait for FA before putting a fork in it. If we had Joseph, Cromartie, Grimes, Marshall, or heavy forbid Asomugha back there, it would be a whole different story.
Predict-a-Roster?

Starter/Backup(s)

QB: Smith/Kapernick/FA
RB: Gore/Hunter
FB: Dixon/Miller
WR: Morgan/Johnson
WR: Williams/(FA)/Jurovich
LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Snyder/Rookie
C: Wragge/Snyder/Rookie
RG: Rachal/Snyder/Rookie
RT: Davis/Boone
TE: Davis/Walker/Byham

DE: McDonald/Rookie
NT: Sopoaga/Jean Francois/Williams
DE: Smith/Rookie
LB: A Smith/Gibson
LB: Willis/Bowman
LB: McKillop/Bowman
LB: Brooks/Gibson
S: Goldson(FA)/Mays
S: R Smith/Taylor
CB: Clements(FA)/Adams/Culliver
CB: Spencer/Brock/Culliver

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:58:33 ]
^

It's Iupati.

Who is the WR Williams (FA)?

And overall...

Realistic (so good job there), but for our team
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
^

It's Iupati.

Who is the WR Williams (FA)?

And overall...

Realistic (so good job there), but for our team

Thanks for catching that! Kyle Williams or a FA. Likely will be a FA but if they liked what they saw with the younger guys on film...who knows.

I actually like what I see compared to the dooms day posts that have been coming in...which is why I posted this. Not as bad as it sounded...even with no or a few FAs.
Wow, it was fun doing that depth chart and predictions but I guess I was a little too early. This team will be totally different.

Updated my first post a bit.... the one good thing about having all these free agents these next two years is the chance to bring in new blood.

Next year is going to be Alex, Heitmann, Snyder, Gore, Nedney, Brooks, etc but right now it looks like Gore will get a new deal or not, that leaves Brooks and potentially Snyder to sign next year. We can really clean house although we where close to playoffs but still weren't going anywhere. Maybe it's a good thing. We won't have many to re-sign so we can get outsiders if we want.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:55:52 ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Predict-a-Roster?

Starter/Backup(s)

QB: Smith/Kapernick/FA
RB: Gore/Hunter
FB: Dixon/Miller
WR: Morgan/Johnson
WR: Williams/(FA)/Jurovich
LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Snyder/Rookie
C: Wragge/Snyder/Rookie
RG: Rachal/Snyder/Rookie
RT: Davis/Boone

DE: McDonald/Rookie
NT: Sopoaga/Jean Francois/Williams
DE: Smith/Rookie
LB: A Smith/Gibson
LB: Willis/Bowman
LB: McKillop/Bowman
LB: Brooks/Gibson
S: Goldson(FA)/Mays
S: R Smith/Taylor
CB: Clements(FA)/Adams/Culliver
CB: Spencer/Brock/Culliver
I was holding it all in until I looked at the secondary...then it just all came out.

There is no way that secondary can defend against the likes of Fitzgerald and Rice and Jones. The pressure on the 49er offense to keep the defense off the field is going to be enormous.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home