LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
More of who we have then predictions....

OFFENSE
QB (3)
Smith, Kaepernick, Vet FA

RB (3)
Gore, Dixon, Hunter

FB (1/2)
Miller, Corcoran or Norris

TE (3)
Davis, Walker, Reuland??? (taking Byham's place for the year)

WR (5/6)
Crabtree, Edwards, Morgan, Ronald Johnson, Ginn Jr, Jurovich/Williams

C (1)
Goodwin, Snyder, Wragge, Beeler (PS?)

G (4)
Iupati, Rachal, Snyder, Wragge, Kilgore, Person (PS?)

T (4/5)
Staley, Davis, Boone, Snyder/Wragge
A lot of inter-changeables with Snyder/Wragge being able to play 3 positions. Sims will be brought back if the young guys struggle.

DEFENSE
DE ( 4/5)
Smith, McDonald, RJF, Tukuafu

NT (1/2)
Sopoaga, RJF/Ian Williams?

ILB (4)
Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Kristick/Joseph/Grant/Costanzo

OLB (5/6)
Haralson/Aldon, Brooks/Gibson, Applewhite

CB (5/6)
Spencer, Rogers, Brown, Adams, Culliver, Brock?

FS/SS (4/5)
Reggie Smith, Whitner, Mays, Williams, Taylor, Spillman, Colin Jones/Maragos

SPECIAL TEAMS
P Lee
K David Akers
LS Jennings
PR Ginn/Williams/Johnson/Adams
KR Ginn/Williams/Johnson

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 4, 2011 at 18:33:18 ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for Gore_21.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:35:22 ]
Good Read

Reading this made me realize how weak we are at safety, and nobody really talks about it. If Mays doesn't pan out, we could have one of the worst starting safety tandem in the NFL

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:35:52 ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Good Read

Reading this made me realize how weak we are at safety, and nobody really talks about it. If Mays doesn't pan out, we could have one of the worst starting safety tandem in the NFL

I think we want Goldson back but will he re-sign for a reasonable cost. We have 3 average starters right now with Goldson/Smith at FS and Mays at SS. After that we have a bunch of special teamers in Spillman, Taylor, Maragos, and Jones. I think I would take Colin Jones over those other 3 though if I wanted a backup safety. The rest I don't think they will ever be more than special teams guys. Either way you're right we have a lot riding on the 2 or 3 guys (Mays, Smith/Goldson) and I'm not sure about them. There really isn't much out there for free agent safeties either.

Exactly. I don't like how we have a lot riding on unproven guys (Mays/Smith) and Goldson, who I think is extremely overrated. Hopefully we can get a solid corner through FA to make them look okay
I'm thinking Ginn is in real trouble and don't see him making team. Norris could be in jeopardy as well. Depends on how much athleticism coaches are looking for at FB.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I'm thinking Ginn is in real trouble and don't see him making team. Norris could be in jeopardy as well. Depends on how much athleticism coaches are looking for at FB.

I agree. Ginn can return kicks, but that is it. If any of the other players show enough ability where the special teams coach feels comfortable enough, Ginn is out.
That looks about right, I see some little changes as i would bring in some more WR's and CB's to compete since im not to sold on what we got..I do not feel we are "log-jammed" at WR. I feel we need to flush the old sh!% in order to fill the roster
Baalke already said they will use Person as a G and not a Tackle.

Hopefully we get rid if Chilo and go with Iupati and Heitman as our starting guards
I'm tired of seeing Norris at FB. He offers limited flexibility and he isn't even that great at what he presently can do. The primary recollection that I have of Norris is of him looking like a fool while trying to catch a pass from Alex Smith.

I'm skeptical that Miller will pan out at FB. Even more so since he's being converted from DL, which is something that I still don't understand. I definitely cannot see him making any immediate impact.

-9fA

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Good Read

I think we want Goldson back but will he re-sign for a reasonable cost. We have 3 average starters right now with Goldson/Smith at FS and Mays at SS. After that we have a bunch of special teamers in Spillman, Taylor, Maragos, and Jones. I think I would take Colin Jones over those other 3 though if I wanted a backup safety. The rest I don't think they will ever be more than special teams guys. Either way you're right we have a lot riding on the 2 or 3 guys (Mays, Smith/Goldson) and I'm not sure about them. There really isn't much out there for free agent safeties either. Either way 2-3 ints total a year out of our safeties isn't going to get it done.

Here is the full list if you want it.
http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/a/freeagentS.htm

Weed out the SS and the ones who I think where resigned or aren't upgrades from Goldson and you pretty much get. And according to that NFL unofficial list non of these guys qualify for free agency under the current CBA rules.

Michael Huff (UFA) - Oakland
Quintin Mikell (UFA) - 30+ years old though
Eric Weddle (UFA) - San Diego Think he will cost too much. Good but not worth it.

I believe Reggie Smith can play either position but he was starting at SS last year in place of Mays. I would say that he could make the shift to FS if Goldson departs, but I believe that the best option going forward would be to retain Goldson (ugh) and keep Smith at SS. I think Mays will require another year.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I'm tired of seeing Norris at FB. He offers limited flexibility and he isn't even that great at what he presently can do. The primary recollection that I have of Norris is of him looking like a fool while trying to catch a pass from Alex Smith.

I'm skeptical that Miller will pan out at FB. Even more so since he's being converted from DL, which is something that I still don't understand. I definitely cannot see him making any immediate impact.

-9fA

Im with you on Norris. This offense needs versatility and at this stage Norris is just a battering ram and not a very effective one anymore. I think Byham will see allot of time as a lead blocker while Miller makes the transition. One thing to keep in mind is that last year most fans thought another defensive-player-moved-to-fullback named Miller should of gotten the job over Norris, hopefully this year it actually happens. The only reason why this Miller is turning heads when they drafted him to be FB over the previous Miller is because of his sack stats, and our need for an OLB. But remember where we drafted him... if teams really thought he could transition to OLB he wouldn't of been there when we selected him.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

-9fA

I read that A. Dixon will get some time at full back also and he is bulking up.
Originally posted by pd24:

-9fA

I read that A. Dixon will get some time at full back also and he is bulking up.

I doubt he will be your typical workhorse fullback, but more of a change of pace fullback. Oh he'll come in as the full back with gore and get 2/3 carries from the fullback position, block for gore 2/3 times and come out of the backfield 2/3 times while gore stays in the b.f. cause he is the better blocker.
Originally posted by SandSlingin49er:
That looks about right, I see some little changes as i would bring in some more WR's and CB's to compete since im not to sold on what we got..I do not feel we are "log-jammed" at WR. I feel we need to flush the old sh!% in order to fill the roster

I kind of agree and I wouldn't feel bad if we got rid of a #4,5 or 6 to make room for a vet guy. Bringing in a #1 or 2 would bump everyone down though and make us a lot better. A bunch of good WRs out there but I really don't think we can afford it with all the guys we have to resign plus CB to me being a bigger need.

Also, I know Williams, Johnson and even Ginn might not seem like much but still way too early to give up on them in my opinion. Like Zeigler we know what he is capable of. So even though we don't have many proven WRs we have some young potential. Maybe next year we go after WR early?

As for those of you that mentioned Ginn I think he makes the team off of return abilities alone. I was rewatching the games from last year and he had a lot of big returns on kickoff and punt. Only had 1 TD though, a bunch of big ones called back returns. Ginn was a much better punt return, Adams looked pretty sharp as well minus the fumble against the Saints that killed us. Ginn averaged 13.1, compare that to Battle, Brandon Williams, Jones, etc who got us like 1.9 the past few years.
Share 49ersWebzone