There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What was a bigger problem last year?

What was a bigger problem last year?

Lets see: Gore being hurt

The QB carousel; no true no 1 receiver; the offense being predicable; the defense not being able to capitalize in key moments; Hearing announcers say that regardless of who we play, we make avg QB's look like allstars.

And overall the coaching mess.

Notice i didnt call out one part, because it takes all parts to be functioning equally to make things work.

ON most teams they all have one aspect that they completely dominate in, or almost dominate.

We dont have either. ON offense and D it's like we had just enough to try and get things done.
Coaching.

Watch that Tampa game, or that KC game. We had no idea what we were doing on offense in those games. No clue whatsoever.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
The projected stats for Alex under both Raye and Mike J.

264 of 446 (59%) for 3276 yards, 24 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.6 QBR. (M.J.)

327 of 541 (60.4%) for 3418 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs, 81.5 QBR. (Raye)

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?

5 games altogether and most of the sixth game... and heck yeah, losing your starting RB can certainly affect QB performance.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Coaching.

Watch that Tampa game, or that KC game. We had no idea what we were doing on offense in those games. No clue whatsoever.

Those games were terrible, especially KC how they got us to burn what 1 or 2 timeouts because of fake plays?
Easy.
The projected stats for Alex under both Raye and Mike J.

264 of 446 (59%) for 3276 yards, 24 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.6 QBR. (M.J.)

327 of 541 (60.4%) for 3418 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs, 81.5 QBR. (Raye)

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?

5 games altogether and most of the sixth game... and heck yeah, losing your starting RB can certainly affect QB performance.

Guess Troy and Shaun Hill would have had superior numbers if Gore wasn't injured either.
I dont wanna blame Alex or Troy on the yr, cause it is IMO Singletary and Company's fault.

For yrs, even with Nolan, we have used crappy OCs who didnt know anything, i mean come on, Mike Johnson, Jimmy Raye, Hostler, even McCarthy wasn't good when he was here. The best was Norv Turner, till he left, and when he was here, that was Alex's best yr IMO.

So yeah, I blame Sing for the mess. So glad he is gone, and we have Harbaugh now, with an actual staff, not a bunch of geezers, ie Jerry Sullivan, etc.....
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I dont wanna blame Alex or Troy on the yr, cause it is IMO Singletary and Company's fault.

For yrs, even with Nolan, we have used crappy OCs who didnt know anything, i mean come on, Mike Johnson, Jimmy Raye, Hostler, even McCarthy wasn't good when he was here. The best was Norv Turner, till he left, and when he was here, that was Alex's best yr IMO.

So yeah, I blame Sing for the mess. So glad he is gone, and we have Harbaugh now, with an actual staff, not a bunch of geezers, ie Jerry Sullivan, etc.....

I guess we can all agree, that the last 3 years have been terribad, due to coaching. Our players have suffered, and we as fans are turning against each other.

We should chill out and give alex at least the first 3 games before booing him, and stop bickering so much so we don't end up being as bad as raider fans.

49ers for life.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Coaching.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Poor QB play was exacerbated by poor coaching

+1 Game against the saints showed that! We lost like that is b.s. Alex looked like drew brees out their, S Payton went waterboy on sing!

Yeah, there were some cases last year where we had decent coaching/gameplans and it actually showed on the field (till bonehead coaching ruined it)

IE: saints game, defense kept one of the most potent teams in check, or falcons game..
That being said, if our team can look that good at times with crappy coaching, the harbaugh era should be fantastic.

58 minutes of great play gets thrown out the window if the team can't finish the last 2 minutes of the game. Or is that what you meant by bonehead coaching ruining it?

Yeah that is what I meant pretty much, at times we looked great.. then our coaches would just shoot themselves in teh foot.. and likewise, there were times (chiefs game, where we got outcoached, out played, out classed, and just looked useless on the field. )

I mean where was Willis in half the games last year? Alex smith is getting major hate, where was our defensive star/leader? Bad coaching made all of our players look worse than they actually are/were.

Your critical of Willis but not Smith? All I can say is, wow.......

Another example of how posters see what they want to see...

He said the coaching made everyone looked bad, including Smith.

I read exactly what he posted, not what "I wanted to see". Did you even read what he just posted or do you automatically agree with everything he says? You agree that P Willy was lost in half of our games? That our defensive star/leader should receive the same amount of heat as Alex? Sorry Patrick Willis did have a interception and sack every game, but to question his game is just preposterous. Hes considered by many to be the best linebacker in the league for a reason.

Yes our coordinators did not have the best imagination in game planing, i agree, but they did their best considering the piecies we had on offense and defense.

Our DC took the approach of bend dont break, due to our inablity to create pressure on opposing Qb's, which would leave our mediocre DB's vulnerable. And it cost us in some games like the Saints and Falcons.

On the offensive side of the ball we ran more considering we had a mediocre Qb and One of the Best rb in the league, which Sing thought was the best way to get a win.

I know its more complicated then what i just made it seem but you get my drift.

I do agree, that they lacked creativity. We were vanilla on both sides of the ball, we didnt leave the opposing teams guessing. Harbaugh hopefully will improve in this department.

Well I don't think he was questioning how good Willis is but stating that this Vanilla defense you talk about was not utilizing him to his potential.

We always value QB play based on wins and loses, but don't do that for other posistions. Willis does have great tackling stats but how will that translate to wins.

It still seems to me that our coaching staff ability to put any player in the best situation to win has been poor and led to our terrible records. Smith of course will take most the blame but I feel that all the other posters were describing is that this is a team game, and we have been a team that can't get it done on either side of the ball in clutch situations.

This is on the coaching staff. Being creative, taking shots when the other team made a mistake, these are things I have not seen it awhile.

I hope you are right and Harbaugh can add this to our team. Still feel it will make a lot of players we have been down on look good all of a sudden.

[ Edited by dwett on Jun 10, 2011 at 17:45:03 ]
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Poor QB play was exacerbated by poor coaching

+1 Game against the saints showed that! We lost like that is b.s. Alex looked like drew brees out their, S Payton went waterboy on sing!

Yeah, there were some cases last year where we had decent coaching/gameplans and it actually showed on the field (till bonehead coaching ruined it)

IE: saints game, defense kept one of the most potent teams in check, or falcons game..
That being said, if our team can look that good at times with crappy coaching, the harbaugh era should be fantastic.

58 minutes of great play gets thrown out the window if the team can't finish the last 2 minutes of the game. Or is that what you meant by bonehead coaching ruining it?

Yeah that is what I meant pretty much, at times we looked great.. then our coaches would just shoot themselves in teh foot.. and likewise, there were times (chiefs game, where we got outcoached, out played, out classed, and just looked useless on the field. )

I mean where was Willis in half the games last year? Alex smith is getting major hate, where was our defensive star/leader? Bad coaching made all of our players look worse than they actually are/were.

Your critical of Willis but not Smith? All I can say is, wow.......

Another example of how posters see what they want to see...

He said the coaching made everyone looked bad, including Smith.

I read exactly what he posted, not what "I wanted to see". Did you even read what he just posted or do you automatically agree with everything he says? You agree that P Willy was lost in half of our games? That our defensive star/leader should receive the same amount of heat as Alex? Sorry Patrick Willis did have a interception and sack every game, but to question his game is just preposterous. Hes considered by many to be the best linebacker in the league for a reason.

Yes our coordinators did not have the best imagination in game planing, i agree, but they did their best considering the piecies we had on offense and defense.

Our DC took the approach of bend dont break, due to our inablity to create pressure on opposing Qb's, which would leave our mediocre DB's vulnerable. And it cost us in some games like the Saints and Falcons.

On the offensive side of the ball we ran more considering we had a mediocre Qb and One of the Best rb in the league, which Sing thought was the best way to get a win.

I know its more complicated then what i just made it seem but you get my drift.

I do agree, that they lacked creativity. We were vanilla on both sides of the ball, we didnt leave the opposing teams guessing. Harbaugh hopefully will improve in this department.

Well I don't think he was questioning how good Willis is but stating that this Vanilla defense you talk about was not utilizing him to his potential.

We always value QB play based on wins and loses, but don't do that for other posistions. Willis does have great tackling stats but how will that translate to wins.

It still seems to me that our coaching staff ability to put any player in the best situation to win has been poor and led to our terrible records. Smith of course will take most the blame but I feel that all the other posters were describing is that this is a team game, and we have been a team that can't get it done on either side of the ball in clutch situations.

This is on the coaching staff. Being creative, taking shots when the other team made a mistake, these are things I have not seen it awhile.

I hope you are right and Harbaugh can add this to our team. Still feel it will make a lot of players we have been down on look good all of a sudden.

this, he said it way better than I was able to say it while slacking at work.

I guess we can all agree, that the last 3 years have been terribad, due to coaching. Our players have suffered, and we as fans are turning against each other.

We should chill out and give alex at least the first 3 games before booing him, and stop bickering so much so we don't end up being as bad as raider fans.

49ers for life.

This is very true. We all have our opinions on the reasons for losing these past seasons, but at the end of the day were all niner fans and just want to see our team win. Hopefully, Harbaugh can turn everything around, because winning cures everything.

49ers for life.

This is very true. We all have our opinions on the reasons for losing these past seasons, but at the end of the day were all niner fans and just want to see our team win. Hopefully, Harbaugh can turn everything around, because winning cures everything.

Not herpes.
Adolf said it was both...

• ttime
Execution or lack there of was responsible for the losing season. This applies to management, coaches and players.