What was a bigger problem last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What was a bigger problem last year?

Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Poor QB play was exacerbated by poor coaching

+1 Game against the saints showed that! We lost like that is b.s. Alex looked like drew brees out their, S Payton went waterboy on sing!

Yeah, there were some cases last year where we had decent coaching/gameplans and it actually showed on the field (till bonehead coaching ruined it)

IE: saints game, defense kept one of the most potent teams in check, or falcons game..
That being said, if our team can look that good at times with crappy coaching, the harbaugh era should be fantastic.

58 minutes of great play gets thrown out the window if the team can't finish the last 2 minutes of the game. Or is that what you meant by bonehead coaching ruining it?

Yeah that is what I meant pretty much, at times we looked great.. then our coaches would just shoot themselves in teh foot.. and likewise, there were times (chiefs game, where we got outcoached, out played, out classed, and just looked useless on the field. )

I mean where was Willis in half the games last year? Alex smith is getting major hate, where was our defensive star/leader? Bad coaching made all of our players look worse than they actually are/were.

[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Jun 10, 2011 at 12:37:53 ]

+1 Game against the saints showed that! We lost like that is b.s. Alex looked like drew brees out their, S Payton went waterboy on sing!

Yeah, there were some cases last year where we had decent coaching/gameplans and it actually showed on the field (till bonehead coaching ruined it)

IE: saints game, defense kept one of the most potent teams in check, or falcons game..
That being said, if our team can look that good at times with crappy coaching, the harbaugh era should be fantastic.

58 minutes of great play gets thrown out the window if the team can't finish the last 2 minutes of the game. Or is that what you meant by bonehead coaching ruining it?

Yeah that is what I meant pretty much, at times we looked great.. then our coaches would just shoot themselves in teh foot.. and likewise, there were times (chiefs game, where we got outcoached, out played, out classed, and just looked useless on the field. )

I mean where was Willis in half the games last year? Alex smith is getting major hate, where was our defensive star/leader? Bad coaching made all of our players look worse than they actually are/were.

Your critical of Willis but not Smith? All I can say is, wow.......
  • Veteran
The man with the cross!
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Another example of how posters see what they want to see...

He said the coaching made everyone looked bad, including Smith.
It was well known that in many games, the opposing team knew the exact play that was being run before the snap because everything was so predictable, and would call the play out. Talk about the best way to demoralize an offense, to hear that..

I was mortified when I saw the performance of Jimmy Raye's offenses over the years when we hired him and the ruin it caused teams. Singletary knew absolutely NOTHING of offense, except that he wanted to hit people in the mouth with it, and he managed to go out and hire one of the biggest coach killers in NFL history. Good job Sing.

Imagine for a moment Jimmy Raye and Singletary of 2010 are transported back in time and hired as head coach and OC of the 49ers in 79 instead of Walsh, you think Montana would've been the QB he was? You think we would've won super bowls or even sniffed the playoffs? If you do, you're definitely sniffing something.

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Jun 10, 2011 at 14:27:16 ]

wow your reading and comprehension skills are sub par
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
It was well known that in many games, the opposing team knew the exact play that was being run before the snap because everything was so predictable, and would call the play out. Talk about the best way to demoralize an offense, to hear that..

I was mortified when I saw the performance of Jimmy Raye's offenses over the years when we hired him and the ruin it caused teams. Singletary knew absolutely NOTHING of offense, except that he wanted to hit people in the mouth with it, and he managed to go out and hire one of the biggest coach killers in NFL history. Good job Sing.

Imagine for a moment Jimmy Raye and Singletary of 2010 are transported back in time and hired as head coach and OC of the 49ers in 79 instead of Walsh, you think Montana would've been the QB he was? You think we would've won super bowls or even sniffed the playoffs? If you do, you're definitely sniffing something.

Well said!

It always made me laugh when Sing would say that he'd sit down and talk X's an O's with people, and even teach them a thing or two... as in what not to do in this scenario or here's the best way to get into punt formation.

Another example of how posters see what they want to see...

He said the coaching made everyone looked bad, including Smith.

I read exactly what he posted, not what "I wanted to see". Did you even read what he just posted or do you automatically agree with everything he says? You agree that P Willy was lost in half of our games? That our defensive star/leader should receive the same amount of heat as Alex? Sorry Patrick Willis did have a interception and sack every game, but to question his game is just preposterous. Hes considered by many to be the best linebacker in the league for a reason.

Yes our coordinators did not have the best imagination in game planing, i agree, but they did their best considering the piecies we had on offense and defense.

Our DC took the approach of bend dont break, due to our inablity to create pressure on opposing Qb's, which would leave our mediocre DB's vulnerable. And it cost us in some games like the Saints and Falcons.

On the offensive side of the ball we ran more considering we had a mediocre Qb and One of the Best rb in the league, which Sing thought was the best way to get a win.

I know its more complicated then what i just made it seem but you get my drift.

I do agree, that they lacked creativity. We were vanilla on both sides of the ball, we didnt leave the opposing teams guessing. Harbaugh hopefully will improve in this department.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Can you please expand your thought, instead of just attacking my "reading and comprehension skills".
I want my cake and to eat it too-both coaching and QB play!

What about when the other guy became OC? Damn, I can't even remember his name...Johnson???

I think our problem on offense was both QB and OC. We have a QB who can't ever beat out backup journeymen QB's or doesn't look as good as those QB's and we had predictable coaching.

However, does the in capabilities of the QB have anything to do with the basic offense?
Originally posted by Joecool:
What about when the other guy became OC? Damn, I can't even remember his name...Johnson???

I think our problem on offense was both QB and OC. We have a QB who can't ever beat out backup journeymen QB's or doesn't look as good as those QB's and we had predictable coaching.

However, does the in capabilities of the QB have anything to do with the basic offense?

Thank you, these are my thoughts exactly.
The projected stats for Alex under both Raye and Mike J.

264 of 446 (59%) for 3276 yards, 24 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.6 QBR. (M.J.)

327 of 541 (60.4%) for 3418 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs, 81.5 QBR. (Raye)

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I wasn't saying Willis was "lost" I was mostly saying that there are others on our team who we could point the finger at. Alex gets so much hate because he is the QB, the face.. etc etc.

Yet, for the last few years it has been stated that our defense is our strength.. Our defense's best player is Willis, and even he didn't perform as high as we could have wanted..
Originally posted by oldman9er:
The projected stats for Alex under both Raye and Mike J.

264 of 446 (59%) for 3276 yards, 24 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.6 QBR. (M.J.)

327 of 541 (60.4%) for 3418 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs, 81.5 QBR. (Raye)

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?
Share 49ersWebzone